Trade Idea (Real Life) McCarthy+ for Soriano? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Idea (Real Life) McCarthy+ for Soriano?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Idea (Real Life) McCarthy+ for Soriano?

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:08 pm

Zito is God and I were talking in another thread about possible destinations for Soriano and we couldn't come up with a team that had what it would take to trade for Soriano. Then I heard Jeff Erickson of Rotowire.com throw out on his show the possibility of the White Sox dealing for him and sticking him in center field (frightening thought I know but even if he stinks in center his bat would make up to it compared to Brian Anderson). And my thought immediately went to a young, talented player that the White Sox have that the Nationals could definitely use - Brandon McCarthy.

What does everyone think of this type of a deal and what other reasonable prospects could the Sox throw in to make it happen?
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:11 pm

Maybe McArthey and Ryan Sweeney for Soriano?
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Zito is God » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:33 pm

My friend and I discussed this (Hes a huge WS fan) and he claimed that this exact deal is what will happen. I personally would rather give Garland then McCarthy if I were the Sox, but for Soriano I think McCarthy can go. I think if the Sox offered McCarthy and Broadway the nats bite, but I doubt the WS would give all that up.

On the bright side, this is the perfect chance to throw in Sean Tracey into some trade, God known he'll never play as long as Ozzie manages.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:44 pm

Do the WS need another hitter though? They already have the highest scoring offense in mlb. I wouldn't go after Soriano if I were them.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:21 pm

bleach168 wrote:Do the WS need another hitter though? They already have the highest scoring offense in mlb. I wouldn't go after Soriano if I were them.

They have the money to sign Soriano though and more offense never hurts. If Soriano is willing to play center field (unlike the Nat's the White Sox would be wise to actually ask before trading) you'd be looking at an upgrade from a guy hovering around the mendozza line to the top ranked fantasy producer so far this year.

Add in that Chicago plays in a hitter's park and I see this as a good move for them. I'm not sure what the rules allow as far as discussing a new contract with a guy on another team but it wouldn't be a bad idea for the White Sox to look for a 3-4 year contract and sign him right at the time of the trade.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby eazyb81 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:31 pm

Eh, personally if I am the Nats GM I would be looking to get a bit more than just McCarthy for Soriano, who has arguably been the 2nd best offensive player this year.
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Location: At Kauffman Stadium wearing a paper bag over my head.

Postby nolanwood » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:34 pm

Soriano should net more than McCarthy
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:39 pm

Soriano would take more then McCarthy.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby SOUTHSIDE HITMEN » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:43 pm

Sox are built on defense and we are doing just fine with Anderson hitting so bad. We don't need Soriano! We need bullpen help and Kenny will find a way to get some setup men.
SOUTHSIDE HITMEN
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:44 pm

acsguitar wrote:Soriano would take more then McCarthy.

Absolutely...hence the + in the title of the post. I don't know the White Sox prospects well enough to say what that extra something would be...from the way the Nat'ls GM has been talking 2 or 3 low level prospects with upside should do the job. He's looking for quantity versus marquis quality to rebuild their farm system from the ground up.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers