Mike Sweeney: to return before all-star break - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Mike Sweeney: to return before all-star break

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mike Sweeney: to return before all-star break

Postby The Big Train » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:31 pm

He's got a nice stick when healthy....which is hardly ever...might be good to stash on a DL spot??

Sweeney expects to return before All-Star break
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

Mike Sweeney continued his rehab process Wednesday by working through a second day of early batting practice that was better at the end of 50 swings than at the beginning.

“It’s not how you start,” he declared. “It’s how you finish. That might be the motto for my year. … Barring any setbacks, I’ll be back before the All-Star break.”

Sweeney hasn’t played since May 1 because of a bulging cervical disk. The club’s decision last week to shift him to the 60-day disabled list means he can’t return to active duty until July 2.

“He hasn’t really experienced anything out of the ordinary, symptom-wise,” trainer Nick Swartz said. “Is he completely without symptoms? He says he feels fine, but I’m sure he feels something.

“When he (swings) mechanically right, it is effortless and there is no problem. That’s really what we’re working on right now: What does he have to do to be fluid and just let it happen?”

Sweeney’s rehab timetable calls for him to take swings today in the batting cage before resuming pregame batting practice Friday and Saturday. Thereafter, he’ll be evaluated to assess his readiness for a minor-league rehab assignment.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Injuries & Player Updates