Confession time - the evalutions you really screwed up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Confession time - the evalutions you really screwed up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby echrisl » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:44 pm

Threw Papelbon into a trade after about 10 saves because I figured people were going to start solving him soon anyway and his value would drop severely ... may have misread that one a bit. The good news is that the entire trade read like this:

I got:

Miguel Tejada
Melvin Mora
Barry Zito

I gave:

Derrek Lee
Brad Penny
Jon Papelbon

Guess I can't complain nearly as much as the other guy ...
Using a key to gouge expletives on another's vehicle is a sign of trust and friendship.
echrisl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dyuen87 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:47 pm

I was dead wrong about Gathright.

i thought .280 40+ SBs this year. Clearly i was wrong. :-o
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby TB13 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:47 pm

Tavish wrote:My VKC infield which I had pegged as able to carry me in the offensive categories.

C Javy Lopez
1B Mark Teixeira
2B Jeff Kent
SS Jimmy Rollins
3B Aramis Ramirez

I was a perfect 5/5 in being able to pick out major first half busts.

Love your corners. I have ARam & Tex in my money HTH keeper league. Thing of beauty. Good thing that I did not protect Howard this past year.
Oh, and I also kept Prior.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Zito is God » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:53 pm

I have a lot because I always seem to have obsessions with players, so, lets satrt with some of my famous ones throughout my Cafe History why don't we:

1. I said santana was going to be lit up the year he won the Cy Young.

2. I thought Berman would stink it up this year because of his lack of protection.

3. I praised that Sean Burroughs was going to be an all-star.

4. I thought John Buck was going to be the best catcher by this season (when he was just dealt).

5. I really thought Gavin Floydd was going to be a great pitcher, I was dazzed by the curveball.

6. I traded David ortiz for Hudson+other two years ago in Dynasty because I thought Hudson will be putting up Cy Young numbers.

7. I thought Gathright will be the best leadoff man since early Pierre.

8. I kept holding on to Yadier Molina in dynasty.

9. I still thought Chris Reitsma would ge it together.

10. I could have had papelbon in dynasty for almost nothing at the beggining of the season and decided against it.

11. I am still waiting for the orvella train to take off.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 pm

Sexson, Furcal and Rollins have all hurt me. :*) Thought that they would have nice years.

I was wrong about Soriano.

I think the thing to remember here guys is that everything you project is usually based on some sort of perception. For me, statistics form a large part of my perception, for others their personal experiences play a role. But for the most part it's just about taking all the research, and all the evidence that you have and making a case for or against a player.

Guys like Vazquez and Soriano, as far as I could see, showed no reason why they should have excellent seasons - and when that happens, you just have to realise that the decision is not always the outcome, and to not try and beat yourself up about it.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:25 pm

If we're going to talk about trade mistakes too I've got one of those as well...

Earlier this year (April 20th) I was offered a high draft pick (might have ended up being a first rounder but I might have had to settle for a second) in our 2007 draft and Liriano for Scott Rolen. I didn't feel like I wanted to take on a potential keeper at that point in the season (was trying to trade one away just in case the Royals did something stupid and brought up Gordon) and this guy wanted Rolen right then and was willing to overpay for him. Rather than taking Liriano and the high pick I went with a 1st and a 7th round pick without Liriano coming back in return. Now instead of keeping Liriano and maybe having a pick about a round later at the top and about 6 rounds later at the bottom I'll probably be keeping Joe Crede, Kevin Youkilis or Matt Kemp. BAD move.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:41 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:If we're going to talk about trade mistakes too I've got one of those as well...

Earlier this year (April 20th) I was offered a high draft pick (might have ended up being a first rounder but I might have had to settle for a second) in our 2007 draft and Liriano for Scott Rolen. I didn't feel like I wanted to take on a potential keeper at that point in the season (was trying to trade one away just in case the Royals did something stupid and brought up Gordon) and this guy wanted Rolen right then and was willing to overpay for him. Rather than taking Liriano and the high pick I went with a 1st and a 7th round pick without Liriano coming back in return. Now instead of keeping Liriano and maybe having a pick about a round later at the top and about 6 rounds later at the bottom I'll probably be keeping Joe Crede, Kevin Youkilis or Matt Kemp. BAD move.

That is definitely a non trade that will come back to haunt you in the future. :-o :-o
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:52 pm

Last year, my friend traded David Ortiz for Brandon Lyon because he thought Lyon was the next Mariano Rivera.... Lyon at the time was rackiing up saves. I TRIED TRIED TRIED to talk him out of it that one. I even went so far as to offer K-Rod for Ortiz, but he was so sure that Lyon was can't miss. if I think it came down to him being a Yankee whore, and subconciously, I think he hated having a Red Sox player.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:10 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:If we're going to talk about trade mistakes too I've got one of those as well...

That is definitely a non trade that will come back to haunt you in the future. :-o :-o

Yeah, and the funniest part is that the main reason I didn't make it was that I was locked into the idea that I was using a MR strategy and was afraid Liriano might start. Whoopdie doo...I don't know what I was thinking that night. In my defense it was late at night. The funniest part is that he later traded Liriano and a 1st round pick for Pedro. He was determined to move Liriano. :-P
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby zhutou » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:27 pm

johnsamo wrote:Last year, my friend traded David Ortiz for Brandon Lyon because he thought Lyon was the next Mariano Rivera.... Lyon at the time was rackiing up saves. I TRIED TRIED TRIED to talk him out of it that one. I even went so far as to offer K-Rod for Ortiz, but he was so sure that Lyon was can't miss. if I think it came down to him being a Yankee whore, and subconciously, I think he hated having a Red Sox player.

why didn't he just trade for rivera then :-?
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers