Sinkhole - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Sinkhole

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mrider » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:24 pm

That is crazy. But its not like it matter economically fo rthe people on the Lake. They all look rich enough to be able to repair damage and the drop in property value looks like it won't hurt them.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:28 pm

mrider wrote:That is crazy. But its not like it matter economically fo rthe people on the Lake. They all look rich enough to be able to repair damage and the drop in property value looks like it won't hurt them.

Look rich? the daughter of the founder of Publix lives there, and let me tell you, Publix is a pretty big deal down there in the sunshine state. It's on par with Kroger and Wegman's, only they're literally everwhere.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:13 pm

Coppermine wrote:
mrider wrote:That is crazy. But its not like it matter economically fo rthe people on the Lake. They all look rich enough to be able to repair damage and the drop in property value looks like it won't hurt them.

Look rich? the daughter of the founder of Publix lives there, and let me tell you, Publix is a pretty big deal down there in the sunshine state. It's on par with Kroger and Wegman's, only they're literally everwhere.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. So it's ok because they're rich? If this happened to middle-class or poor people would it matter more?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:45 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. So it's ok because they're rich? If this happened to middle-class or poor people would it matter more?

If they had to foot the bill for the repairs, maybe. I think the point is that no one's crying over the homeowners association having to pay to fix the lake because, well, it's their damn lake.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:11 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

If they had to foot the bill for the repairs, maybe. I think the point is that no one's crying over the homeowners association having to pay to fix the lake because, well, it's their damn lake.

Now the question is is it a natural lake or man made?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:12 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

I think the article said that it was created by a sinkhole in the first place
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:05 pm

Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

Yeah, it's a natural lake.

I don't get how people can discredit the magnitude of this disaster as it pertains to these residents, simply because they may be wealthy. Most wealthy people are that way because they worked their asses off to get that way. Just as a middle-class person may have worked very hard to not be considered poor, so a man/woman of wealth worked hard for what they have (usually).
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:50 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote: Most wealthy people are that way because they worked their asses off to get that way.

Yea maybee

Anyways I'm not discounting this....It doesn't seem like a disaster though. Its probably not a massive lake or resovouir ...

Anyways its a cool natural thing man
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:02 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

I don't get how people can discredit the magnitude of this disaster as it pertains to these residents, simply because they may be wealthy. Most wealthy people are that way because they worked their asses off to get that way. Just as a middle-class person may have worked very hard to not be considered poor, so a man/woman of wealth worked hard for what they have (usually).

Dude, it said right in the article that one of the residents was the DAUGHTER of the founder of Publix; oh, lucky her, her daddy's rich and so is she. Believe it or not, that's how an awful lot of people end up wealthy. I understand many people work their asses off, but if you must live on lake-front property covered in sink holes, this is the risk you take; just as if you decide to live in a trailer park in the middle of Kansas. Buyer beware.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:20 am

Coppermine wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

Dude, it said right in the article that one of the residents was the DAUGHTER of the founder of Publix; oh, lucky her, her daddy's rich and so is she. Believe it or not, that's how an awful lot of people end up wealthy. I understand many people work their asses off, but if you must live on lake-front property covered in sink holes, this is the risk you take; just as if you decide to live in a trailer park in the middle of Kansas. Buyer beware.

One bad apple, Copper? If I was fortunate enough to inherit a fortune, I certainly wouldn't feel bad about it, or guilty. If you're jealous for some reason, fine, but this is tragic for anyone, no matter their income. Sinkholes happen in Florida, that's established, but this one is much greater than usual. I'm not going to feel worse for a family who lost a pinto than a family who lost a Beamer.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk