Cameron Maybin and Humberto Sanchez impress at Futures game - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Cameron Maybin and Humberto Sanchez impress at Futures game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cameron Maybin and Humberto Sanchez impress at Futures game

Postby Dannomyte » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:53 am

Class A West Michigan center fielder Cameron Maybin and Triple-A Toledo starter Humberto Sanchez will represent the Tigers farm system at next month's MLB All-Star Futures Game at Pittsburgh's PNC Park.

Maybin, Detroit's first-round pick in last year's First-Year Player Draft, will be part of the U.S. team managed by Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter. He entered Wednesday batting .315 with 10 doubles, four triples, two homers, 28 RBIs and nine stolen bases in 36 games.

Sanchez, who was born in the Dominican Republic but raised in New York City, was named to the World Team under manager Ferguson Jenkins. The top pitching prospect in Detroit's system owns an 8-3 record with a 1.49 ERA between Toledo and Double-A Erie.
Last edited by Dannomyte on Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:54 pm

That's quite an honor for Maybin. He sure is off to a great start. Good to see that there are other prospects in the system than all those gosh darn pitchers ;-7
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dannomyte » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:08 am

Sanchez and Maybin impress at Futures game.

Humberto Sanchez had even less trouble than Hirsh in the first, setting down the United States in order and striking out Stephen Drew and Alex Gordon. He showed a 93-94 mph fastball and threw a lot of sliders, and the only hitter who made contact, Howie Kendrick, grounded out weakly to the shortstop.

"Sanchez was pretty doggone impressive," a scout from a National League organization said. "He threw three pitches for strikes, worked in and out all over the zone. Those are three tough outs and he made it looks easy."

Humberto Sanchez was nasty. The U.S. hitters who faced him in the first inning--Stephen Drew, Howie Kendrick and Alex Gordon--all came back to the dugout asking what he was throwing, as Kendrick went down on a changeup, while Drew and Gordon struck out on curveballs

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/pr ... 61894.html

Maybin, who can stake a claim to being the best overall prospect in the minors, had to settle for batting eighth for the United States. He went 2-for-3 and said he was just happy to crack the starting lineup.

"I haven't hit eighth since my freshman year in high school," Maybin said. "Dude, that tells you what kind of lineup we have when Butler hits seventh. That guy flat rakes, and then goes and drops that bomb. That definitely got us going. He hit a good pitch, 3-2 curveball, and put a good swing on it. That got everyone into it."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/pr ... 61897.html
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dannomyte » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:06 am

More praise for Humberto

Sanchez started for the World Team in the Futures Game on Sunday pitching one scoreless inning. .. Sanchez struck out Stephen Drew and Alex Gordon in the outing and got Howie Kendrick to ground out to short.

After the game Drew had high praise for Sanchez. "He's one of the top-notch pitchers I've faced in the minors," Drew told the Detroit Free Press. "He and Felix Hernandez of the Mariners are the two that stand out for me."
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:15 am

I wonder how long he is going to stay down on the farm? With the Tigers history of second half fades I can see him coming up for a struggling/tiring starter.

Feel free to give us any update on Dmitri Young's progress, Danno. thanks.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dannomyte » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:32 am

moochman wrote:I wonder how long he is going to stay down on the farm? With the Tigers history of second half fades I can see him coming up for a struggling/tiring starter.

Feel free to give us any update on Dmitri Young's progress, Danno. thanks.

Unless the Tigers trade one of their starting pitchers or one gets hurt I'd be very suprised to see Sanchez up at all this season. Maybe in the bullpen but I doubt it. You have to remember that the Tigers didn't even want to keep Humberto in Triple-A for more than 1 start until he pitched so good that they had no choice! Also, Maroth seems to be progressing extremely well and is already throwing off the mound. It looks like he'll return some time in August.

As far as Da Meathook goes he is struggling a bit at Double-A. Hitting under .200 with more K's than hits in 5 games. Still a little early to call him washed up for this season but the tide is rising! Here is a link to his stats.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/ ... pid=124693
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dannomyte » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:16 am

A little more love for Maybin and Humberto

Cameron Maybin, CF, Tigers: Give Detroit's front office credit. While the team was languishing in the depths of the AL, the Tigers' brass was busy stocking the system with talent like the speedy Maybin, their 2005 top pick. Maybin is very toolsy and has the rare combination of speed and power, but he's at least a year away, especially with Curtis Granderson patrolling the vastness of Comerica Park.

Humberto Sanchez, P, Tigers: Detroit must have a never-ending supply of great young pitchers. Youngsters Verlander (age 23), Zumaya (21) and Zach Miner (24) will soon be joined by the 6-foot-6 right-hander (23), who has struck out more than 100 batters in just 91 innings to give Jim Leyland one of the best young staffs in baseball.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/w ... asy/1.html
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Detroit Tigers