Help I'm addicted to Making moves - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Help I'm addicted to Making moves

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby garf112 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:52 pm

rentz wrote:
LouisC9999 wrote:I passed on Papelbon thinking "I'm set in SVs with Lidge, Nathan, and Mike Gonzalez...". :~( :~( :~( :~(

haha me too! i was like, i have lidge,krod and street, im good

You can never have too many closers.

Although, with those three guys, I could see why you would think you'd be OK.

I guess a couple that might come back to haunt me were dropping E. Encarnacion and X. Nady when they went on the DL, but they were kind of necessitated by a team of DLers, and I ended up getting Jose Castillo and Eric Byrnes (before he went on his hot streak) because of the drops.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazing Oopah » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:57 pm

yeah, the add/drop bug has followed me from fantasy hockey to fantasy baseball. I don't what I'll do if I ever play a max moves league :-) :-b
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:57 pm

Nobody in my league has made more than 21 Add/Drops... and it's the most active league I've ever seen...

Having 100+, or even 40+ Adds at this point in the season is sheer silliness and inexcusable overmanaging, in my opinion. Sure, maybe it's your cup of tea, how you have fun with fantasy baseball and that's well and fine, but in my eyes it makes you a lower rate fantasy GM who didn't draft well and is privy to tasting every flavor of the week without actually analyzing... I've found through 7 years of playing that MANY times, despite wanting to tinker, standing pat with what you have is the right move.

Well, that's the end of my un-asked for opinion. :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby houstonoilers » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:08 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Having 100+, or even 40+ Adds at this point in the season is sheer silliness and inexcusable overmanaging, in my opinion. :-b

I am overmanaging then @ 56
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:12 pm

Moves in themselves aren't bad, it's bad moves that are bad.

I lead my 8 years and running league in moves with 91, the next closest is 51... but I'm also in first place. Rule #1... never drop a proven stud on a cold streak. Hold and wait.

Even though I lead the league in moves, I've made no trades. I don't like helping other teams. I like to improve my team for free from the avaialbe list. The last trade I made was three years ago when i dealt A-Rod for Pujols... at the time it seemed a fair trade. A-Rod was in his prime but I took a bet that because Pujols was younger, he still had some ceiling left. I was right.

I'm not willy nilly in general. 7 0f my 10 offensive slots have been unchanged with the exception of DL moves. And pitching, my team counts holds so I've mad a few moves there, but the only change to SPs were to add Jered Weaver, and I'm not apologizing for that one.

My main reaon for my my moves were

(1) I partially punted 2b and SS in the draft, and I picked up and dropped a lot of guys early in the season depending on future matchups, etc.... My reason, the best 2b and SSs were already locked up as keepers and the availables inthe draft, nobody stood out heads and tails above any others, and I;ve generally found that new guys emerge each year at those positions so I watch and wait to get them. Last year, I did this and wound up with Chase Utley and Felipe Lopez, this year, I've finally found and settled on my guys for this year. I've now got Freddy Sanchez and picked up Marcus Giles after somebody dropped him and I haven't made a move in those spots in the last month.

(2) I have Pujols. IT became evident that my power #s were getting inflated way past projections because of his #s, so I started looking more at speed, and grabbed Cory Patterson, and depending on matchups, I was picking up and dropping Kenny Lofton and Dave Brown to platoon to up my runs and steals.

(3) I'm always on the hunt for guys taking their careers to the next level... not hot streaks, but serious progression proved by underlying #s so I sold Patterson and my catcher to upgrade at catcher and got Gary Mathew's JR. Likewise, I grabbed Curtis Granderson.

(4) When Pujols went down, I had to drop guys to start a platoon at first base switching back and forth between 1bs with wide splits and had good matchups.

Recently, I took a flyer on Jorge Sosa because he's going to the pen and I could use a few more saves, so I'm gambling he starts closing some.

SO anyway, once Pujols is back, my roster will be largely set unless I have an injury or I see something else that interests me.

Also... I don't pick up just anybody. I watch the scoring categories and look for my weaknesses and stengths and if I'm way ahead somewhere, I try and address my weak categories. Also, I partially punted saves (planned to finish in the middle, not win it)and focussed on dominationg SPs, Ks and holds. I've noticed though that I'm in range of gaining two points in saves relatively easy, hence the Sosa pick up. If I weren't close to gaining, I wouldn't have done it other than maybe for potential trade value if he did become the closer.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:21 pm

Actually I lied,,, I traded Benjie Molina and Cory Patterson for Posada... cound't pass that up since I had a relatively equal replacment for Patterson. They guy was desperate for steals and was already doing OK in power and I really needed the catcher upgrade.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Help I'm addicted to Making moves

Postby swyck » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:09 am

acsguitar wrote:I have a serious problem.

10 moves left to make with half the season still left.

I really can't make any more moves but its so tempting.

Darn you cafe and massive amount of prospect talk!

Glad I'm not in any max move leagues so I can feed my addiction. ;-D

For me its not the moves, its the free agent envy. I'm always going "look at the 1b on the wire, he's hitting .340, I gotta grab him" even though I may already have Pujols at 1b. Whenever I see someone I was targeting in my drafts is available, or a sleeper doing good, I just want to snap them up.

Following the prospects is fun but when I'm in first with a great starting rotation, I just dont have room for Reyes or Lester. :~(

Fortunately I have other teams that suck, filled with would be studs and bad choices, so I have room for all sorts of additions there. Paradoxically, the worse your team is the more fun you can have trying to turn it around. B-) One reason I never understand people tanking seasons in non-keepers.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Re: Help I'm addicted to Making moves

Postby garf112 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:32 am

swyck wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I have a serious problem.

10 moves left to make with half the season still left.

I really can't make any more moves but its so tempting.

Darn you cafe and massive amount of prospect talk!

Glad I'm not in any max move leagues so I can feed my addiction. ;-D

For me its not the moves, its the free agent envy. I'm always going "look at the 1b on the wire, he's hitting .340, I gotta grab him" even though I may already have Pujols at 1b. Whenever I see someone I was targeting in my drafts is available, or a sleeper doing good, I just want to snap them up.

Following the prospects is fun but when I'm in first with a great starting rotation, I just dont have room for Reyes or Lester. :~(

Fortunately I have other teams that suck, filled with would be studs and bad choices, so I have room for all sorts of additions there. Paradoxically, the worse your team is the more fun you can have trying to turn it around. B-) One reason I never understand people tanking seasons in non-keepers.

I try and stick to leagues with deeper rosters. i find that I'll make a lot less moves if the best RF available on the waiver wire is Jay Payton. (If you are in a deeper league and have the room for him, I would highly suggesting picking him up because IMO he is about to break out.)
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby RASportsnut » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:35 am

Nice to have other company.

I'm in a first league year with 11 friends. No big $ or anything. Well, I drafted poorly (not much prep work), and TQStats projected me to be 3rd from last place before the first pitch.

Since then, I've made 39 moves, including 28 moves from FA. No one has made a trade in our league as yet.

Anyways, I'm in 6th place now, only a few points out of 3rd, so I'm happy with my progress.

The 3rd place owner hasn't made one move this year. He hasn't even logged in since 5/25.

Makes you wonder.......
RASportsnut
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers