Naked DSL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Naked DSL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:13 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i think technically you cant have had service with them for 30 days or 60 days or something like that to qualify as a new customer but i've gotten away with just using a different address. if they have a flyer it usually specifies the terms to qualify as a new customer. call them and cancel at your current address. do NOT ask for services to be transferred. i usually tell them i am moving to a building where cable is included. call later and set up an install appointment for the new address and request the promotional rates. might not be a bad idea to give them a different phone number for the new address although i dont think i gave them a different phone number. you will have to drop off your old equipment at one of their locations or probably pay to have someone pick it up. you cant use the same equipment. i cant guarantee it will work for you but i've done it a couple times in chicago without problems.

I believe that it is 60 days. It also depends on whether you have a previous balance. Whenever you move, do a little research and try to find a local Direct Sales department. That's the department that I work in and my offers are always better than customer service.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:15 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:i think qwest offers naked dsl but after the introductory rates the pricing is basically equivalent to cable. they bundle it with MSN premium. the big companies of course dont offer naked dsl. verizon keeps saying it will but always backs out. i'd love to get it since i only have a cell phone and dont need as much bandwidth as cable offers but i havent seen any attractive offers yet.

comcast's rates suck after the introductory offers. fortunately the offers usually last twelve months and i pretty much move every year so i always get the good rates. basically $60 for cable tv and internet. once i had to switch to RCN for a few months before switching back to comcast. i've heard some people just keep calling comcast customer service threatening to switch unless they get the rates off the latest flyer and eventually they find a CSR that will hook them up. i've never done it though.

Call Comcast and ask for the Retention Department. They're the ones that have authority to offer killer promos to disgruntled customers. If you do go to satellite, I would actually juggle the 2 each year. There is no contract with any Comcast products. Say that you get a dish. After your contract is up, go back to Comcast. Not sure what the offer would be then but, as a satellite customer, I can give you digital cable with about 250 channels including On Demand, all of the HBO's, and all of the Showtimes. A DVR as well. $39.95/month for a year. You could also get the internet service for $20/month for the year. Once the year is up, you could always go back to the dish. ;-)

That's a great idea, but what about internet? I think Comcast charges almost $50/month for non-cable subscribers, so when I have the dish I would be screwed on Internet; unless I could get naked DSL, which I can't...
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:16 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote: you will have to drop off your old equipment at one of their locations or probably pay to have someone pick it up. you cant use the same equipment.

I bought a Surf Board 3100 modem for like 10 bucks on ebay. Just register it sell it on ebay and buy a new one each time.

i have my own cable modem. its the cable tv box & remote that i had to return because i had the bundled tv/internet service.

You always have to return the digital boxes. If not, you will owe about $185 each. 8-o
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:24 pm

Coppermine wrote:I just realized I'm paying comcast at least 5 bucks a month for "renting" their cable modem. Bull****!

any recommendations on a cable modem to buy (do they all work with all cable companies)?

It should be $3/month. What to do depends on you. Not sure what they cost now but they used to be $100. That means that you can rent 1 for 3 years before you equal the $$. If technology changes, you could be stuck with a $100 paperweight.

Coppermine wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Coppermine wrote:I just realized I'm paying comcast at least 5 bucks a month for "renting" their cable modem. Bull****!

any recommendations on a cable modem to buy (do they all work with all cable companies)?

yeah, i hate Comcast, but i still use them :-t

Yeah, that's because you don't have a choice, it sucks. Satellite is a nice alternative and I'd like to go that route, but Comcast is cheaper only because I can bundle internet and not have to pay for a phone line. If I got satellite, I'd have to pay for a landline I don't use and get a DSL connection. Hence the reason I was looking for naked DSL in the first place.

I guess my best bet will be to just be a new subscriber when I move; I'll cancel my account at my current address, and set up at my new one under my girlfriend's name. Plus, I was looking at modems and I can't even believe I was renting one from Comcast for 5 bucks a month. What a rip.

If you want to do it in your GF's name, that's fine but not necessary. Just cancel your service and try to get in touch with a Direct Sales representative. If you move to a complex, ask the management office. I have a few complexes where the new tenants call me before they move in. I make $$ sitting here at my computer. B-)

Coppermine wrote:When I moved a year ago and got cable internet from Comcast, I had to wait three weeks to get the service activated because something between my account and the Comcast server got screwed up. I kept calling customer service and they kept telling me that a network technicial had to fix it; and apparently they were all dead or something, I don't know. But, they gave me an extra month free (which was really just an extra week since I was three weeks without the service) but it was a real pain in the neck. I can only imagine what kind of a hassel it will be when I get my own modem.

I was also on their website and it seems like they now charge a mandatory $100 on-site installation fee; what? Is this true? I'm not sure for when I call, but I set it up myself last time without a fee other than activating the digital cable. We'll see, those Comcast scumbags. I just wish there was more than one cable choice.

I reiterate to find Direct Sales. We can waive your installation charges. I believe that standard install on CHSI is only $9.95. At least here. Any chance that you're moving to NJ?? :-D

You could also try this:

http://www.comcastoffers.com

You have to pay up front but you get your $$ back.
Lofunzo

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:26 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:i think qwest offers naked dsl but after the introductory rates the pricing is basically equivalent to cable. they bundle it with MSN premium. the big companies of course dont offer naked dsl. verizon keeps saying it will but always backs out. i'd love to get it since i only have a cell phone and dont need as much bandwidth as cable offers but i havent seen any attractive offers yet.

comcast's rates suck after the introductory offers. fortunately the offers usually last twelve months and i pretty much move every year so i always get the good rates. basically $60 for cable tv and internet. once i had to switch to RCN for a few months before switching back to comcast. i've heard some people just keep calling comcast customer service threatening to switch unless they get the rates off the latest flyer and eventually they find a CSR that will hook them up. i've never done it though.

Call Comcast and ask for the Retention Department. They're the ones that have authority to offer killer promos to disgruntled customers. If you do go to satellite, I would actually juggle the 2 each year. There is no contract with any Comcast products. Say that you get a dish. After your contract is up, go back to Comcast. Not sure what the offer would be then but, as a satellite customer, I can give you digital cable with about 250 channels including On Demand, all of the HBO's, and all of the Showtimes. A DVR as well. $39.95/month for a year. You could also get the internet service for $20/month for the year. Once the year is up, you could always go back to the dish. ;-)

That's a great idea, but what about internet? I think Comcast charges almost $50/month for non-cable subscribers, so when I have the dish I would be screwed on Internet; unless I could get naked DSL, which I can't...

That's where it gets a little tricky but I hook up a ton of customers that have CHSI with Comcast and satellite TV service. Those customers typically pay $57.95 for CHSI as non-video customers plus $3/month for the modem. If they have a dish, I can offer them the exact same packages that I mentioned above. So, for $2 more per month, they can get all of that stuff. ;-D
Lofunzo

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:27 pm

I typed a lot of things here. Make sure that you check it all out.
Lofunzo

Postby Coppermine » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:37 pm

Lofunzo, this info is awesome!

OK, so here's my new plan; I'm going to cancel my service at my current address. Technically I'm just moving across town (In PA, sorry, not NJ). I'll even drop off all of my equipment.

OK, so step 2; I call Comcast and ask for Direct Sales... Should I threaten to go to satellite if they don't give me a good deal? I'd love to get a good intro offer on Digital Gold and 1 or 2 premium channels. I've noticed all of Comcasts promotional rates are only for 3-6 months; can Direct Sales hook me up with a year?

Next, I went to Comcastoffers.com... CHSI is available for current cable subscribers for 19.99 for 6 months, plus a free cable modem (with a $125 mail in rebate; that sounds like a deal to me). So lets say I get the hook up with comcast for a great promotional cable tv package for 12 months; can I just go through comcastoffers.com to get the 6 months of CHSI at 19.99 for 6 months, or should I call direct sales again and try to get the 19.99 CHSI for a year? Or, should I just try to get it all at the same time; that is cable tv and internet for a 12 month promotional rate.

Phew, this is exhausting. Thank Lofunzo for the help! ;-D
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:48 pm

Coppermine wrote:Lofunzo, this info is awesome!

OK, so here's my new plan; I'm going to cancel my service at my current address. Technically I'm just moving across town (In PA, sorry, not NJ). I'll even drop off all of my equipment.

OK, so step 2; I call Comcast and ask for Direct Sales... Should I threaten to go to satellite if they don't give me a good deal? I'd love to get a good intro offer on Digital Gold and 1 or 2 premium channels. I've noticed all of Comcasts promotional rates are only for 3-6 months; can Direct Sales hook me up with a year?

Next, I went to Comcastoffers.com... CHSI is available for current cable subscribers for 19.99 for 6 months, plus a free cable modem (with a $125 mail in rebate; that sounds like a deal to me). So lets say I get the hook up with comcast for a great promotional cable tv package for 12 months; can I just go through comcastoffers.com to get the 6 months of CHSI at 19.99 for 6 months, or should I call direct sales again and try to get the 19.99 CHSI for a year? Or, should I just try to get it all at the same time; that is cable tv and internet for a 12 month promotional rate.

Phew, this is exhausting. Thank Lofunzo for the help! ;-D

You can call Comcast and ask about Direct Sales but I doubt that would get you much help. I say that because the CSR's get commisions as well so they want the sale. I would either go to your management office (if you have 1) and ask them if there is a local rep that handles that complex or look for a local Comcast office and go there.

You can threaten anyone at Comcast but that won't get you a better deal. To my knowledge, the only 12 month promo is for dish customers. Everything else is for 6 months. If you don't mind going without service for a short time, you could try cancelling your service and then start it back up in your name if you set it up under your GF's name originally. This can only work if your bill is completely paid up. Otherwise, they will need to see a lease. Direct Sales can offer the best rates. We have a Digital Variety package now. They recently got rid of the Silver, Gold, etc. We can offer it for $39.99/month for 6 months. The CSR's can only offer it for $74.99/month for 6 months.

As for CHSI, make sure that you read the fine print from Comcastoffers. I researched it because a lot of my customers were asking me about it but didn't read everything. I don't know if you really need to have cable TV service to get that promo. With me, you can still get the $19.99/month promo. The only difference is after the promo is over. It's $15/month more if you have no TV service after the promo is over.

As I said earlier, there are no 12 month promos except for dish customers. Keep in mind that this applies to my region (Central/North Jersey). I would assume that most/all of this would apply to your area as well, though.
Lofunzo

Postby Coppermine » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:53 pm

Well I think I might go with my original plan then; as far as my complex goes, all tenants are responsible for their own cable hookup and there is no local rep except in the next town up (I don't think it's worth the trouble).

I'm ok with the 6 month promotions. I'm just going to try and get a good promotional rate. I currently have Comcast in my name; I'm going to cancel it, and when I move get it hooked up in my girlfriends name, effectively making us "new customers." The cable TV isn't my biggest concern, but it would be nice to get a nice deal for 6 months. Once I get that, here's what I found at comcastoffers.com...

Order
Plan 2: Comcast High-Speed Internet - Cable Customer
Promotional Offers
$19.99/month for the 1st 6 Months!! (See Additional Details)
Get a FREE Motorola ® Cable Modem (See Additional Details)
$125 Cash Back (after mail-in rebate) (See Additional Details)
Plan Details

6000 kbps downloads / 384 kbps uploads
(+) Show Additional Plan Details
(—) Hide Additional Plan Details
Monthly Fee After Promotion $42.95

That seems pretty reasonable to me, or is that just the standard promotion?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:58 pm

Coppermine wrote:Well I think I might go with my original plan then; as far as my complex goes, all tenants are responsible for their own cable hookup and there is no local rep except in the next town up (I don't think it's worth the trouble).

I'm ok with the 6 month promotions. I'm just going to try and get a good promotional rate. I currently have Comcast in my name; I'm going to cancel it, and when I move get it hooked up in my girlfriends name, effectively making us "new customers." The cable TV isn't my biggest concern, but it would be nice to get a nice deal for 6 months. Once I get that, here's what I found at comcastoffers.com...

Order
Plan 2: Comcast High-Speed Internet - Cable Customer
Promotional Offers
$19.99/month for the 1st 6 Months!! (See Additional Details)
Get a FREE Motorola ® Cable Modem (See Additional Details)
$125 Cash Back (after mail-in rebate) (See Additional Details)
Plan Details

6000 kbps downloads / 384 kbps uploads
(+) Show Additional Plan Details
(—) Hide Additional Plan Details
Monthly Fee After Promotion $42.95

That seems pretty reasonable to me, or is that just the standard promotion?

1 town over isn't far at all unless you are moving over to Amish country. $19.99/month for 6 months is the best non-dish promo they offer. The best that you could get elsewhere is $29.95/month for 6 months but usually, customer service just charges full rate. That $42.95/month rate only applies if you have TV service. It's $15/month more if you don't. If you end up getting a dish, after the promo is over, you might want to get limited basic. It's like 35 channels but costs $13.80/month here. You save $1.20/month and even get something for it.

If you want, I can ask my boss if I could offer anything to you in another region. I think that I can all over NJ but I'm not sure about other states.
Lofunzo

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk