Naked DSL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Naked DSL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:29 pm

I just realized I'm paying comcast at least 5 bucks a month for "renting" their cable modem. Bull****!

any recommendations on a cable modem to buy (do they all work with all cable companies)?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:33 pm

Coppermine wrote:I just realized I'm paying comcast at least 5 bucks a month for "renting" their cable modem. Bull****!

any recommendations on a cable modem to buy (do they all work with all cable companies)?

not all of them will work. check the compatibility list here:
http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.j ... odems17905

i have the motorola surf board sb5120. i bought my new because there was rebate for it. you can search craigslist or ebay for something used though.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:41 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
Coppermine wrote:I just realized I'm paying comcast at least 5 bucks a month for "renting" their cable modem. Bull****!

not all of them will work. check the compatibility list here:
http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.j ... odems17905

i have the motorola surf board sb5120. i bought my new because there was rebate for it. you can search craigslist or ebay for something used though.

I bought a sb3100 its old but it was 10 bucks and works fine.

It gets 4.5 megs down max so far and loses connection like 1 time a week at most..

got it on ebay.

if you have the money get the 5120
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:26 am

yeah, i hate Comcast, but i still use them :-t
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:29 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:

Yeah, that's because you don't have a choice, it sucks. Satellite is a nice alternative and I'd like to go that route, but Comcast is cheaper only because I can bundle internet and not have to pay for a phone line. If I got satellite, I'd have to pay for a landline I don't use and get a DSL connection. Hence the reason I was looking for naked DSL in the first place.

I guess my best bet will be to just be a new subscriber when I move; I'll cancel my account at my current address, and set up at my new one under my girlfriend's name. Plus, I was looking at modems and I can't even believe I was renting one from Comcast for 5 bucks a month. What a rip.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:53 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:

i have heard plenty of horror stories about them but i have been really pleased. i originally had RCN and their serviced sucked something awful. i switched to comcast and outside of price increases when the introductory rates end (which is a problem at every cable company) i havent had a complaint in three years.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:58 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

i have heard plenty of horror stories about them but i have been really pleased. i originally had RCN and their serviced sucked something awful. i switched to comcast and outside of price increases when the introductory rates end (which is a problem at every cable company) i havent had a complaint in three years.

their service is top notch, but the price is disgusting. their customer service is full of a bunch of idiots too
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:06 am

When I moved a year ago and got cable internet from Comcast, I had to wait three weeks to get the service activated because something between my account and the Comcast server got screwed up. I kept calling customer service and they kept telling me that a network technicial had to fix it; and apparently they were all dead or something, I don't know. But, they gave me an extra month free (which was really just an extra week since I was three weeks without the service) but it was a real pain in the neck. I can only imagine what kind of a hassel it will be when I get my own modem.

I was also on their website and it seems like they now charge a mandatory $100 on-site installation fee; what? Is this true? I'm not sure for when I call, but I set it up myself last time without a fee other than activating the digital cable. We'll see, those Comcast scumbags. I just wish there was more than one cable choice.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:20 am

Coppermine wrote:
I was also on their website and it seems like they now charge a mandatory $100 on-site installation fee; what? Is this true? I'm not sure for when I call, but I set it up myself last time without a fee other than activating the digital cable. We'll see, those Comcast scumbags. I just wish there was more than one cable choice.

Just get your own modem call them register the modem and it will work immediately the guy I called must have been toking a bong cause he was super chill and happy to set me up fast
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:12 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i think qwest offers naked dsl but after the introductory rates the pricing is basically equivalent to cable. they bundle it with MSN premium. the big companies of course dont offer naked dsl. verizon keeps saying it will but always backs out. i'd love to get it since i only have a cell phone and dont need as much bandwidth as cable offers but i havent seen any attractive offers yet.

comcast's rates suck after the introductory offers. fortunately the offers usually last twelve months and i pretty much move every year so i always get the good rates. basically $60 for cable tv and internet. once i had to switch to RCN for a few months before switching back to comcast. i've heard some people just keep calling comcast customer service threatening to switch unless they get the rates off the latest flyer and eventually they find a CSR that will hook them up. i've never done it though.

Call Comcast and ask for the Retention Department. They're the ones that have authority to offer killer promos to disgruntled customers. If you do go to satellite, I would actually juggle the 2 each year. There is no contract with any Comcast products. Say that you get a dish. After your contract is up, go back to Comcast. Not sure what the offer would be then but, as a satellite customer, I can give you digital cable with about 250 channels including On Demand, all of the HBO's, and all of the Showtimes. A DVR as well. $39.95/month for a year. You could also get the internet service for $20/month for the year. Once the year is up, you could always go back to the dish. ;-)

$59.95/month is a great price for both of them. ;-D ;-D
Last edited by Lofunzo on Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk