Naked DSL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Naked DSL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Naked DSL

Postby Coppermine » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:50 am

I'm going to ask here first before I go crazy researching it. My problem lies with my internet access. Comcast is really giving it to me by charging 50 bucks a month for cable internet. That's outrageous. Not only that, I'd much rather have satellite than be stuck with Comcast's ever-increasing cable bill. I want DSL; I don't need super high speed cable internet and I live relatively close to the DSL relay center (yes, DSL's speed is dependent on how far away you live from the provider), and bottom line is that it's much less expensive.

But here's my problem, in an effort to be a frugal consumer of telecommunications, i refuse to get a landline activation. I'm paying about $50/month for my cell phone service and it's more than I could ever want. I don't talk much on the phone and when I do it's from my cell phone. I don't need two different numbers, I don't need to pay $15/month for local calling (especially since my folks live 1100 miles away) and I never go over on my cell minutes. Yet to receive DSL service, I need to pay for that arbitrary landline phone I'll never use, and then I'll have to concern myself with having two numbers. It seems pointless (oh, call me at this number when I'm at home and this number when I'm not). I understand if you make a lot of local phone calls, but I simply don't.

So I've heard that some places are offering "naked" DSL, that is DSL service without paying for a landline. This makes increasingly more sense, because to get VoIP service through a DSL connection, why would anyone want to pay for an additional local landline? I just don't understand it at all. In fact, I don't really understand why I would even need VoIP if I just use my cell phone for everything. I never have to run and get the phone either since it's always just in my pocket. So, my question, anyone here get DSL without having a local calling plan?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:09 pm

i think qwest offers naked dsl but after the introductory rates the pricing is basically equivalent to cable. they bundle it with MSN premium. the big companies of course dont offer naked dsl. verizon keeps saying it will but always backs out. i'd love to get it since i only have a cell phone and dont need as much bandwidth as cable offers but i havent seen any attractive offers yet.

comcast's rates suck after the introductory offers. fortunately the offers usually last twelve months and i pretty much move every year so i always get the good rates. basically $60 for cable tv and internet. once i had to switch to RCN for a few months before switching back to comcast. i've heard some people just keep calling comcast customer service threatening to switch unless they get the rates off the latest flyer and eventually they find a CSR that will hook them up. i've never done it though.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Coppermine » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:47 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i think qwest offers naked dsl but after the introductory rates the pricing is basically equivalent to cable. they bundle it with MSN premium. the big companies of course dont offer naked dsl. verizon keeps saying it will but always backs out. i'd love to get it since i only have a cell phone and dont need as much bandwidth as cable offers but i havent seen any attractive offers yet.

comcast's rates suck after the introductory offers. fortunately the offers usually last twelve months and i pretty much move every year so i always get the good rates. basically $60 for cable tv and internet. once i had to switch to RCN for a few months before switching back to comcast. i've heard some people just keep calling comcast customer service threatening to switch unless they get the rates off the latest flyer and eventually they find a CSR that will hook them up. i've never done it though.

I'm moving across town next month so I guess I could just do that. Basically, I can just cancel my account with Comcast right now at my current address, and when I move request new service with the intro rates, right?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:10 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote: i've heard some people just keep calling comcast customer service threatening to switch unless they get the rates off the latest flyer and eventually they find a CSR that will hook them up. i've never done it though.

Yea I'm gonna do that
;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:25 pm

i think technically you cant have had service with them for 30 days or 60 days or something like that to qualify as a new customer but i've gotten away with just using a different address. if they have a flyer it usually specifies the terms to qualify as a new customer. call them and cancel at your current address. do NOT ask for services to be transferred. i usually tell them i am moving to a building where cable is included. call later and set up an install appointment for the new address and request the promotional rates. might not be a bad idea to give them a different phone number for the new address although i dont think i gave them a different phone number. you will have to drop off your old equipment at one of their locations or probably pay to have someone pick it up. you cant use the same equipment. i cant guarantee it will work for you but i've done it a couple times in chicago without problems.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Coppermine » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:31 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i think technically you cant have had service with them for 30 days or 60 days or something like that to qualify as a new customer but i've gotten away with just using a different address. if they have a flyer it usually specifies the terms to qualify as a new customer. call them and cancel at your current address. do NOT ask for services to be transferred. i usually tell them i am moving to a building where cable is included. call later and set up an install appointment for the new address and request the promotional rates. might not be a bad idea to give them a different phone number for the new address although i dont think i gave them a different phone number. you will have to drop off your old equipment at one of their locations or probably pay to have someone pick it up. you cant use the same equipment. i cant guarantee it will work for you but i've done it a couple times in chicago without problems.

It'll work, I'll just put it in my girlfriend's name.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:19 pm

I've got cable internet and agree the price stinks. However our cable company just started offering phone service too so I signed up for that and ditched the phone line (screw you SBC!). Since I have phone, tv, and internet through them I get an overall discount on it.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:26 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote: you will have to drop off your old equipment at one of their locations or probably pay to have someone pick it up. you cant use the same equipment.

I bought a Surf Board 3100 modem for like 10 bucks on ebay. Just register it sell it on ebay and buy a new one each time.

pretty easy and cheap

Lofunzo works for Comcast I believe.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:36 pm

acsguitar wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote: you will have to drop off your old equipment at one of their locations or probably pay to have someone pick it up. you cant use the same equipment.

I bought a Surf Board 3100 modem for like 10 bucks on ebay. Just register it sell it on ebay and buy a new one each time.

i have my own cable modem. its the cable tv box & remote that i had to return because i had the bundled tv/internet service.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:43 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

i have my own cable modem. its the cable tv box & remote that i had to return because i had the bundled tv/internet service.

ahhh I see.. I don't have digi cable.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk