Pop-under Blockers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Pop-under Blockers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pop-under Blockers?

Postby Pacman » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:36 am

I am getting annoyed by pop-under ads... that show up behind the windows you have opened. They get past the pop-up blockers I have installed.

Have any cafe members found a good, free program that stops them without slowing down navigation?

As always, thanks for any advice.

peace
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:36 am

If you're having a popup, or popunder problem (they're still called popups, they're just more annoying) you probably have spyware or some kind of installed program causing it, especially if it's random. It would be good to get some anti-spyware/virus software and do a scan.

I had a guy at work who was having popups on his computer and I got the ticket for it. I called his secretary and said "Hi Sandy, I hear that Todd is having a popup problem," to which she replied, laughing, "Really? Maybe he should see a doctor."

Yeah, that's was kinda funny.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:05 am

Actually, a popup appears on your screen, while a popunder just shows up in your list of open windows at the bottom of your screen while not actually showing up on your screen, hence the name difference. ;-)

It's that one popunder you get here that helps to keep the Cafe free, so suggesting a blocker would be shooting ourselves in the foot as that's what pays for the bandwidth, server, etc. Sorry.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pacman » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:10 am

Madison wrote:Actually, a popup appears on your screen, while a popunder just shows up in your list of open windows at the bottom of your screen while not actually showing up on your screen, hence the name difference. ;-)

It's that one popunder you get here that helps to keep the Cafe free, so suggesting a blocker would be shooting ourselves in the foot as that's what pays for the bandwidth, server, etc. Sorry.

I actually don't think I get a popunder when I come here... at least I don't think I do. Hmmmm, weird.

Honestly, if I had realized that the Cafe' had popunders, I would have had the good sense to not ask the question.

I support whatever keeps the Cafe' free. ;-D
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Madison » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:14 am

Pacman wrote:
Madison wrote:Actually, a popup appears on your screen, while a popunder just shows up in your list of open windows at the bottom of your screen while not actually showing up on your screen, hence the name difference. ;-)

I actually don't think I get a popunder when I come here... at least I don't think I do. Hmmmm, weird.

Honestly, if I had realized that the Cafe' had popunders, I would have had the good sense to not ask the question.

No problem, and we do have 1 popunder every 12 hours. ;-)

I'm sure someone will come in and suggest something that will rid you of popunders though, and then it's your choice as to if you use it or not. If we could get everyone to turn off their popunder blockers here (just at the Cafe's), we would probably be able to make some fantastic new changes, but we are also realists that know that will never happen.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:48 am

Pacman wrote:

If you're using a popup blocker or Firefox, you probably don't see the Cafe "popunder" (I still contend that they're the same thing, only one is more annoying). Even I still occassionally get the cafe popup though, so don't worry, I'm not "stealing" O:-)

As for you Pacman, if you're getting certain popunder but not the cafe's, it means your popup blocker is doing it's job and the popunders you're getting are probably attributed to spyware. Popup blockers are designed to block popups that show up both on top of, and underneath your windows as generated from websites.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:58 am

Madison wrote:
Pacman wrote:

No problem, and we do have 1 popunder every 12 hours. ;-)

I'm sure someone will come in and suggest something that will rid you of popunders though, and then it's your choice as to if you use it or not. If we could get everyone to turn off their popunder blockers here (just at the Cafe's), we would probably be able to make some fantastic new changes, but we are also realists that know that will never happen.

Hey if we all just click on the link do you guys get revenue?? I'll click a few times a day just to support the cafe
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:36 pm

i assume you've heard of firefox and the adblock extension? i am pretty sure you can configure adblock to allow popups for certain sites so you can allow the ones at the cafe if you'd like.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/10/

you will also want filter set g to go along with adblock

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1136/

if you havent already, you can clean up spyware with ad-aware and spybot and use spyware blaster to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Return to General Talk