Yovani Gallardo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Yovani Gallardo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby imblotto » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:26 pm

He had three walks in the 1st inning, that'll throw those numbers off a little.

It's still impressive that he managed to not give up a run despite walking 5 guys and giving up 5 hits in less than 5 innings. ;-D
imblotto
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Members Only Jackets » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:26 pm

interesting that he had 3 walks in inning 1.....that makes his line look bettr to me. Maybe his mechanics were off or something and he turned it around...
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Jenkins » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:06 pm

I went to that game Thurs. night. He walked the first 3 batters of the game on 12 pitches. He was wild during warmups and then continued at the beginning of the game.

He looks nasty though. ;-D
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:45 pm

Jenkins wrote:I went to that game Thurs. night. He walked the first 3 batters of the game on 12 pitches. He was wild during warmups and then continued at the beginning of the game.

He looks nasty though. ;-D

How hard does he throw?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby imblotto » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:53 pm

92-94 range
imblotto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby imblotto » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:59 pm

Haven't gotten any updates on him lately. He pitched tonight

6ip,5hits,0er,1bb,9k---but his era has skyrocketed to 0.59 in AA since he was last mentioned.
imblotto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rmande09 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:34 pm

Gallardo's line tonite:

6.2 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 8 K, 0 HR

His ERA stands at 0.72 at AA now.

It was unfortunate. Gallardo pitched into the 7th, gave up a leadoff single and then proceeded to fan the next two guys. He got yanked, probably in favor of a lefty-lefty matchup. The reliever gave up back-to-back singles to allow the inherited runner to score. Dang!

Gallardo got in little trouble, and whenever runners got on base, it seemed as though he beared down and got a K.

Gallardo's AA stats: 2-2, 37.1 IP, 26 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 1 HR, 13 BB, 42 K, 0.72 ERA.

His rate stats: 1.04 WHIP, 10.13 K/9, 6.27 H/9, 3.13 BB/9.

Nothing to complain about, everything to rave about. It'd be nice to see him get his BB/9 down to where it was in A+ (2.67), but 3.1 is nothing to complain about. Plis, 8 of his walks have come in two starts. Damn, he looks good.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Vitreous » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:03 am

rmande09:

In your opinion, for the years 07 and 08 only, would Gallardo or Petit have more of an impact.

Vit
Vitreous
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rmande09 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:40 am

Ay, tough question. I think Gallardo will have a much bigger impact and will have much more success when he breaks into the bigs, but the ETA is in question. He's going to finish the season at AA, and when the AA season ends it is not that unlikely he'll get a call up and pitch out of the bullpen a little, depending on where the Brewers stand at that time.

Petit should get called up in September and be with the Marlins to start 2007, my guess in a relief role. With Dontrelle, Olsen, Johnson, Sanchez, and Nolasco all earning starting roles, I can't imagine Petit as much more than a MR for his first few years. I don't think he has good enough stuff to make guys miss and think that at best he will be a back-of-the-rotation starter.

Gallardo has been the most dominant pitcher in the minors this season, and has mastered A+ and AA at 20. He was a good pitching prospect prior to this season, but control and a third pitch after his plus-fastball and plus-curve were in question. He more than answered that this season, showing great control at A+ (2.6 BB/9) and still much improved control at AA (3.1 BB/9), which is inflated his his 4.2 IP, 5 BB performance a few weeks ago. Anyways, he has come into 2006 with TWO pitches to add to his repertoire: a change and a slider. Both are currently ML average, and most don't expect his change to get much better. His slider is what they are talking about the most, as it has loads of potential and could end up being his best pitch. SPs with three plus-pitches are hard to find.

Gallardo's call-up will boil down to three things: ability to master all his pitches, especially that slider, experience, and performance. Barring a knockout September and an even better ST in '07, Gallardo will start next season at AAA. But don't be surprised to see a midseason call-up. I think Gallardo could settle very well into a #2 spot, and, at worst, a #3.

So to sum up all this crap, I'd definitely take Gallardo over Petit.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:44 am

I wish I had the chance to see him more in person. I've only seen him before this year and in the futures game, neither were anything close to what his stats indicate. He has a good FB, but his breaking stuff didn't show as much promise.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball