Jorge Sosa sent to bullpen: new Braves closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jorge Sosa sent to bullpen: new Braves closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazing Oopah » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:45 pm

tol1l1yboy wrote:What I dont understand is why take the job away from K. Ray when he was pitching well in the role. I think he blew what one save? It isnt his fault that Atlanta sucks and hasnt given him a save opportunity in almost 2 weeks!?!

Well, I think Kenny Ray closing was never in Cox's long term plans or wishes, it just kinda happened after Reitsma blowing up.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:49 pm

Amazing Oopah wrote:
tol1l1yboy wrote:What I dont understand is why take the job away from K. Ray when he was pitching well in the role. I think he blew what one save? It isnt his fault that Atlanta sucks and hasnt given him a save opportunity in almost 2 weeks!?!

Well, I think Kenny Ray closing was never in Cox's long term plans or wishes, it just kinda happened after Reitsma blowing up.

Maybe they should trade for Tyler Walker if they're intent on putting bad pitchers into the closer job to see if they'll stick. :-?

Edit: Yep, that seems about right that my 3,000th post would involve a derogatory comment about Tyler Walker. I try to slide one of those into at least a post a day ;)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Another Blown Save » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:47 pm

Rotoworld wrote:Jorge Sosa, who is 1-9 with a 5.40 ERA, is being assigned to the bullpen and will work late in games.
If he pitches well over his first couple of chances, he could overtake Kenny Ray and become Atlanta's closer. With Sosa in the pen, the Braves will start Lance Cormier on Saturday and likely Chuck James on Sunday. John Thomson could be back at the end of the month to reclaim a spot.

I wouldn't go running out to get him, but he could become valuable
In the mean time, I have to dump Ray to a save desperate team...
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Big Train » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:36 pm

http://www.sabernomics.com/ has an analysis of the idea. Not a terribly optimistic one. You'll have to click the link to see the numbers since they don't format well here.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby juiced » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:54 am

is this move for certain now? i have k.ray and its would suck if i drop ray for sosa and ray is still closing games.
juiced
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:55 am

Checked some of his game logs, and he tends to be good the first few innings, then would get rocked. Assuming he can adjust to the short recovery time and has the "make-up" of a closer, he might be it.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby freakshow » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:24 am

His WHIP over his first 30 pitches is 1.13 but his ERA is 7.75 this year. He has given up 8 hr (4 in two games) in 26 innings over the first 30 pitches and 9 hr over the next 47 innings. Not sure what that means, but I would guess that those numbers will even out and he could be a decent closer...at least for the next week or two...'til Cox changes his mind.
freakshow
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates