OK Who Should the Angels Trade, And For Whom - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

OK Who Should the Angels Trade, And For Whom

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby sLim » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:23 pm

the angels could arguably have the best rotation in the bigs right now...i think defense is very crucial behind a top notch staff like the angels...we dont necessarily need a soriano or a carlos lee...even tho that will help us offensively protect vlad in the lineup...but depending on what we have to give up to get them...its not gonna be worth it in the long run...signing a craig wilson or a jacque jones would make alot more sense for the angels situation...i think we need one more solid bullpen arm as well...but looking at what cinci had to pay for to get some help in the pen...i wouldnt give up anything near what cinci gave up to get it...

everyone wants the angels farm guys...nobody wants their big leaguers except for the star studded guys...but possible guys the angels could trade are mathis, mcpherson, and aybar...

i would be very surprised if the angels trade for a big bat within the next few weeks...the angels farm is desired by all the teams in the bigs...and any big bat acquisition is gonna cost us alot...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1754
Joined: 1 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Halo Homers » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:33 pm

sLim wrote:the angels could arguably have the best rotation in the bigs right now...i think defense is very crucial behind a top notch staff like the angels...we dont necessarily need a soriano or a carlos lee...even tho that will help us offensively protect vlad in the lineup...but depending on what we have to give up to get them...its not gonna be worth it in the long run...signing a craig wilson or a jacque jones would make alot more sense for the angels situation...i think we need one more solid bullpen arm as well...but looking at what cinci had to pay for to get some help in the pen...i wouldnt give up anything near what cinci gave up to get it...

everyone wants the angels farm guys...nobody wants their big leaguers except for the star studded guys...but possible guys the angels could trade are mathis, mcpherson, and aybar...

i would be very surprised if the angels trade for a big bat within the next few weeks...the angels farm is desired by all the teams in the bigs...and any big bat acquisition is gonna cost us alot...


________________________________________________________

This is where we disagree. I think if the Angels want to go to the World Series, it will require a big bat like Carlos Lee, Tejada, Soriano, Crawford, M Cab etc. Almost no one is untouchable to get one of those guys. The only guys I see as untouchable are Lackey, Santana, K Rod, Shields, Guerrero, perhaps Weaver.

I don't think a bat with Hillenbrand or Jones will get it done.

The only reason not to do a deal for a big bat is if they literally have to give up the farm. Trading a 2 or 3 of guys like Kotchman, Morales, Wood, Kendrick, Mathias, Aybar, Saunders to get a proven big bat who will resign with the Angels, somone like M Cab, is worth it.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1321
(Past Year: 48)
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:42 pm

Halo Homers wrote:
sLim wrote:the angels could arguably have the best rotation in the bigs right now...i think defense is very crucial behind a top notch staff like the angels...we dont necessarily need a soriano or a carlos lee...even tho that will help us offensively protect vlad in the lineup...but depending on what we have to give up to get them...its not gonna be worth it in the long run...signing a craig wilson or a jacque jones would make alot more sense for the angels situation...i think we need one more solid bullpen arm as well...but looking at what cinci had to pay for to get some help in the pen...i wouldnt give up anything near what cinci gave up to get it...

everyone wants the angels farm guys...nobody wants their big leaguers except for the star studded guys...but possible guys the angels could trade are mathis, mcpherson, and aybar...

i would be very surprised if the angels trade for a big bat within the next few weeks...the angels farm is desired by all the teams in the bigs...and any big bat acquisition is gonna cost us alot...


________________________________________________________

This is where we disagree. I think if the Angels want to go to the World Series, it will require a big bat like Carlos Lee, Tejada, Soriano, Crawford, M Cab etc. Almost no one is untouchable to get one of those guys. The only guys I see as untouchable are Lackey, Santana, K Rod, Shields, Guerrero, perhaps Weaver.

I don't think a bat with Hillenbrand or Jones will get it done.

The only reason not to do a deal for a big bat is if they literally have to give up the farm. Trading a 2 or 3 of guys like Kotchman, Morales, Wood, Kendrick, Mathias, Aybar, Saunders to get a proven big bat who will resign with the Angels, somone like M Cab, is worth it.


You gotta give up something to get something in return. Assuming Florida doesn't want to clean out our farm, then a deal for a 23 year old proven stud is worth it.
Image
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Musketeer
Posts: 2264
Joined: 6 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby sLim » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:39 pm

tampa turned down santana and figgins for crawford...its gonna be just as expensive if not more to get cabrera...and like ive said over and over before...there is no guarantee that he will resign...moreno can show him the money...and then someone like steinbrenner can show him more money...just like kenny williams did to konerkos $40 mil offer he got from the angels...

and knowing that...would u give up the teams future stars for the possibility of having a one year rental? cuz thats exactly what its goin to be...the smarter thing for the angels is to try and sign cabrera in the offseason if they really wanted him...and if that were to happen...they dont have to give up anything except a compensation pick...which is nearly nothing compared to the price u guys are sayin the angels should pay to get him...

the nationals have already announced that the angels arent anywhere near in gettin soriano...and apparently the asking price is a top arm and a top offensive youngster...

the angels ARE NOT goin to throw their future away for a one year rental...and I GUARANTEE that they will not trade for miguel cabrera...i doubt hes even on the market...the marlins are goin to resign him and build a team around him...u guys can keep dreaming about cabrera...but its not goin to happen...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1754
Joined: 1 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Phatferd » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:16 pm

sLim wrote:tampa turned down santana and figgins for crawford...its gonna be just as expensive if not more to get cabrera...and like ive said over and over before...there is no guarantee that he will resign...moreno can show him the money...and then someone like steinbrenner can show him more money...just like kenny williams did to konerkos $40 mil offer he got from the angels...


The Angels offered Konerko more money than the White Sox. He wanted to stay in the windy city and took a smaller offer. Can't blame Stoneman or the Angels for that one.

I just don't see the rationalization in keeping a guy like Wood or any prospect for a proven stud. Best case scenario a guy like Wood becomes the player MCAB is. Why not use Wood and his percieved value and get a player who is ALREADY at the level Wood COULD get to someday?
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby sLim » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:43 pm

for financial reasons...when the angels decide to call up wood...he has the minimal contracts just like cabreras...under $1 mil dollars for 4 years...while cabrera has finished those years...so hes gonna sign his first big league deal...

it may not be a problem to u or i...cuz we arent the ones writing the check...but the for the good of the franchise...its smarter...$30 or 40 million that we save here...we could spend it elsewhere on other needs...

its all part of creating a perfect balance...thats the art of being a good owern/gm/manager...its not like being steinbrenner and goin after all the big contract players...its about creating the perfect balance of youth and veterans...while managing the money that is invested in ur ballclub...the angels have a top 3 farm club and EVERY other team wants their players...that doesnt mean they should just give them away...

and im pretty sure that the angels offered konerko a contract...and then williams topped the angels offer...he didnt take less money to stay there to my knowledge...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1754
Joined: 1 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Phatferd » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:46 am

sLim wrote:for financial reasons...when the angels decide to call up wood...he has the minimal contracts just like cabreras...under $1 mil dollars for 4 years...while cabrera has finished those years...so hes gonna sign his first big league deal...

it may not be a problem to u or i...cuz we arent the ones writing the check...but the for the good of the franchise...its smarter...$30 or 40 million that we save here...we could spend it elsewhere on other needs...

its all part of creating a perfect balance...thats the art of being a good owern/gm/manager...its not like being steinbrenner and goin after all the big contract players...its about creating the perfect balance of youth and veterans...while managing the money that is invested in ur ballclub...the angels have a top 3 farm club and EVERY other team wants their players...that doesnt mean they should just give them away...

and im pretty sure that the angels offered konerko a contract...and then williams topped the angels offer...he didnt take less money to stay there to my knowledge...


I understand what you're saying, but at the same time we could be hurting the team by doing something like this. It's a catch-22 if you ask me.

This is exactly what they did with Glaus. They had McPherson who they thought was a Glaus clone, however, $9 million a year cheaper. We all know what we got out of that.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:06 am

I've come to the conclusion that we will not make a big trade. Stoneman doesn't like taking risks with trading blue chip prospects. We're going to go with this team. We might make a minor deal, but we aren't going to get a big bat. I agree with this move, only if we're going to sign a big bat this offseason.

12-1 in July, best start to a month in franchise history!
Image
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Musketeer
Posts: 2264
Joined: 6 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby sLim » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:59 am

Phatferd wrote:
sLim wrote:for financial reasons...when the angels decide to call up wood...he has the minimal contracts just like cabreras...under $1 mil dollars for 4 years...while cabrera has finished those years...so hes gonna sign his first big league deal...

it may not be a problem to u or i...cuz we arent the ones writing the check...but the for the good of the franchise...its smarter...$30 or 40 million that we save here...we could spend it elsewhere on other needs...

its all part of creating a perfect balance...thats the art of being a good owern/gm/manager...its not like being steinbrenner and goin after all the big contract players...its about creating the perfect balance of youth and veterans...while managing the money that is invested in ur ballclub...the angels have a top 3 farm club and EVERY other team wants their players...that doesnt mean they should just give them away...

and im pretty sure that the angels offered konerko a contract...and then williams topped the angels offer...he didnt take less money to stay there to my knowledge...


I understand what you're saying, but at the same time we could be hurting the team by doing something like this. It's a catch-22 if you ask me.

This is exactly what they did with Glaus. They had McPherson who they thought was a Glaus clone, however, $9 million a year cheaper. We all know what we got out of that.


i agree...letting glaus go was a mistake especially with the high hopes of mcpherson...but if i were in the same position as stoneman at that time...i would have made the same decision...not just based on what everyone expected of mcpherson, but more on the status of glaus' health...glaus missed significant time the last two years of his contract with the angels...and i didnt have confidence that he would play enough games where we wouldnt have to worry about a backup 3b...i wasnt a big mcpherson fan in the minors...i dont like guys who cant hit for avg in the minors, even if they show big power...

the angels have enough talent to make a run at the series this year, whether u guys believe it or not, IF our rotation stays healthy in sept/oct, this team can definetly make a run at the series...a big bat rental is not what this team needs...they NEED to improve their defense more then anything...a small bat wouldnt be bad like wilson or hillenbrand cuz we wouldnt have to give up much for it...

during the offseason, the angels should go after a big bat then, when it wont cost us anything but a supplemental pick...this team has a bright future...dont think they need to sell out for this season when the players we have can get it done...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1754
Joined: 1 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Phatferd » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:52 pm

sLim wrote:
Phatferd wrote:
sLim wrote:for financial reasons...when the angels decide to call up wood...he has the minimal contracts just like cabreras...under $1 mil dollars for 4 years...while cabrera has finished those years...so hes gonna sign his first big league deal...

it may not be a problem to u or i...cuz we arent the ones writing the check...but the for the good of the franchise...its smarter...$30 or 40 million that we save here...we could spend it elsewhere on other needs...

its all part of creating a perfect balance...thats the art of being a good owern/gm/manager...its not like being steinbrenner and goin after all the big contract players...its about creating the perfect balance of youth and veterans...while managing the money that is invested in ur ballclub...the angels have a top 3 farm club and EVERY other team wants their players...that doesnt mean they should just give them away...

and im pretty sure that the angels offered konerko a contract...and then williams topped the angels offer...he didnt take less money to stay there to my knowledge...


I understand what you're saying, but at the same time we could be hurting the team by doing something like this. It's a catch-22 if you ask me.

This is exactly what they did with Glaus. They had McPherson who they thought was a Glaus clone, however, $9 million a year cheaper. We all know what we got out of that.


i agree...letting glaus go was a mistake especially with the high hopes of mcpherson...but if i were in the same position as stoneman at that time...i would have made the same decision...not just based on what everyone expected of mcpherson, but more on the status of glaus' health...glaus missed significant time the last two years of his contract with the angels...and i didnt have confidence that he would play enough games where we wouldnt have to worry about a backup 3b...i wasnt a big mcpherson fan in the minors...i dont like guys who cant hit for avg in the minors, even if they show big power...

the angels have enough talent to make a run at the series this year, whether u guys believe it or not, IF our rotation stays healthy in sept/oct, this team can definetly make a run at the series...a big bat rental is not what this team needs...they NEED to improve their defense more then anything...a small bat wouldnt be bad like wilson or hillenbrand cuz we wouldnt have to give up much for it...

during the offseason, the angels should go after a big bat then, when it wont cost us anything but a supplemental pick...this team has a bright future...dont think they need to sell out for this season when the players we have can get it done...


Why not go after a guy like MCAB via trade instead of risking losing him to another team when he becomes a FA in a couple years? He is only 23 (I think, he could be younger) and has years ahead of him. Why not trade Wood (who is going to be a 3B if you wanna believe it or not) and McPherson and maybe even Adenhart for him? The only real person we lose here is Adenhart, but MCAB is a superstar.

We lose Erstad's contract at the end of the year along with Kennedy's. Plug Kendrick into 2B to save a ton of money, Keep Morales at 1B to save money. Take the Erstad money and give it to MCAB to sign an extension.

If we do this then we have Morales (cheap), Kendrick (cheap), OCAB (expensive), MCAB (expensive), Rivera (cheap), Figgins (reasonable), Vlad (expensive), Napoli (cheap).

4 of our starting 8 are cheap, or 50%. Should we go cheap all the way around the diamond? Heck no. This is about a perfect ratio of spending money and being reasonable with it. We don't want to go the cheap route for over 50% of the team. This lineup would be a great mix of young players and vets.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

PreviousNext

Return to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Jul. 26
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(4:05 pm)
Washington at Cincinnati
(4:05 pm)
Baltimore at Seattle
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Milwaukee
(7:10 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(7:10 pm)
Miami at Houston
(7:10 pm)
San Diego at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Oakland at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Colorado
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at LA Angels
(9:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(9:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact