OK Who Should the Angels Trade, And For Whom - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

OK Who Should the Angels Trade, And For Whom

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby sLim » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:15 pm

i personally think gettin cabrera is a pipedream...hes not a questionable player...everyone knows how good this guy is gonna be already...its gonna cost us more then u know it...and he still hasnt signed his first big league deal...which will happen during this offseason...

ive only heard of santana being on the market for carl crawford...

on the ak rumors...ive heard that toronto wanted ak and would be willing to give up hillenbrand...

ak will be traded away by the july 31st deadline...i would be surprised even more then when they sent jered back down after goin 4-0 if they didnt trade him away...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sLim » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:20 pm

by the way...

OhMrScottyTrav06

thats a dope jered weaver sig!!!
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:07 pm

OhMrScottyTrav06 wrote:Yeah, I think Santana is staying put... he's been our most consistent pitcher during the season... unless we can get Cabrera, I don't see us dealing Ervin.

As much as I love AK, it's Kendrick's position in 2007 and I think Kennedy's the odd man out. That being as, I like his defense at 2b and his bat in the #9 hole. Since Kendrick hasn't proven himself in the bigs yet, I say we keep AK there for the rest of '06.

If we trade for Cabrera, I think anyone except Vlad should be available. They are going to want three prospects, so I say let's give it to them if we can ink MCab to a multiyear contract. Players of his caliber are very rare, and if all we have to give up is prospects who have yet to prove themselves, I say go for it.

Has anybody heard of any specific rumors? Not just that the Angels are interested in so-in-so... but like Player(s) X for Player(s) Y

I am a great fan of AK too. In my book, he will go down with Bobby Grich as the greatest 2B of all time for the Angels. Who will ever forget the "Kennedy Game" against the Twins in the 02 playoffs.

Unfortunetly, I think he must be dealt. Kendrick is playing up a storm in AAA. AK also has a bad wheel, so I think his time as a starter is also nearing and end. I hope that deal with Toronto for Hillenbrand goes through. I would love to see AK end his career as an Angel as a role player, a la Wally Joyner.

On the rumor mill side, I've heard about a deal for Miguel Tejada. It would be Tejada for O.C. plus pitching. Not sure if the pitching is at the major league level or not.

I hope it does not go through. Tejada is too much of a head case IMO. Don't need another one of those on the team.

If the Angels go for top tier player, I hope its Carlos Lee. He is supposedly available, but the Brewers are not out of it yet.

I also heard the A Ram might be available from the Cubs. He might be an interesting pickup.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:13 pm

The thing is, I don't want to give up our starting rotation. I think it's a rotation that could dominate any playoff series (If Colon is back and looks good that he's on the way)

With that rotation and our setup/closer combo, all we need is improved offense and defense, but I don't think we have to gut the teams future to get a big player. I think we can improve the team around the margins and have a good enough offense to win it all.

3B - I'm content to platoon Izturus and Quinlan - if McPherson can come back and beat out Izturis for the lefty part of that platoon, fine. Izzy can spell OC on occassion and probably is better than AK.

SS - OC

2B - bring up Kendrick let AK fight for his job. AK isn't getting it done. Hopefully competition will improve his game, at the least, let Kendrick face the lefties.

1B - I think Morales is going to get better, but we need a backup option, see below.

C - Nappy is the man. Mathis is tradeable.

LF - Juan Rivera has to take over, GA to fragile for OF now

CF - Figgy

RF - Vladdy

DH - GA, and Vladdy when it's a tuff lefty and Vladdy needs a rest

Middle relief - we need a reliable guy to give the ball to SHields. Bring up Joe Saunders and let him get his feet wet in the show with relatively low pressure relief work.

What that means is, we need a backup 1b and OFer... Craig Wilson of the Pirates is the obvious choice, a vet salary on a last place team, he says he wants to be traded back to socal. He can spell Morales and Vladdy on occassion. He's only 30 so he's got some good years left in him. He's a high obp guy with decent power, but he's very good against lefty pitchers.

Likewise, Matt Stairs of KC, an OF/1b would be handy if Morales just can't handle it. He hits righties, so he and WIlson could platoon 1b. And he can spell in the OF in a pinch.

And start giving Murphy a few more ABs... spot starting in all the OF spots to get him experience in case somebody goes down.

If we could grab a Jaque Jones though, that would be great. He rakes lefties and could rotate spelling Juan Rivera and Vladdy.

I might even start thinking about getting Vladdy some 1b time on occassion. He's no spring chicken and I think he'll be a better hitter if he's playing rather than DH, so 1b may be a long term option for him... not this year though.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sLim » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:42 pm

our rotation could be the best rotation in the bigs this year...probably second to the white sox...hopefully colon is doin the same thing rocket is doin...he rested the first half...and finish the second half strong as ever...with him being our ace...lackey as our number 2...that makes santana, jered, and escobar that much better...

the big problem tho...is our defense...i dont understand how this team has gone from one of the best defensive teams to one of the worst in the span of a year...and gettin rid of AK isnt goin to help our cause on the defensive side of the ball...

even if we cant get the big bats such as carlos lee, tejada, or soriano...i think craig wilson and hillenbrand could be enough if our rookies play well enough...

the way id like to see the angels by sept...
c: napoli
1b: morales
2b: kendrick
3b: hillenbrand
ss: cabrera
of: wilson
of: figgins
of: guerrero
dh: rivera
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:42 pm

The defense sucked bad, but as soon as we got Figgy back into the OF, things improved dramatically. I think the horrible defense was larglely flukish, besides some bad play by Figgy, Napoli was making some bad throwing decisions early that he hasn't been making lately... In short, I think things are going to improve on that end, and the last ten games, the errors have gone way down.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Halo Homers » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:03 am

I like both of your ideas. Jacque Jones would be a nice fit with Rivera.

I really like Hillenbrand at 3B also. I'm not sure what kind of a defensive player he is at 3B.

I agree with the comment about keeping Morales. When you think about how fast he has climbed through the organization, and the trouble he had getting out of Cuba, not being able to play ball, its amazing he is doing this well. Think what another year of stability might bring.

I have a hard time writing Kotchman off. The guy played through the early part of the year with undiagnosed mono. I'm sure that effected him. I have this bad feeling if we trade him, it will come back to bite the Angels.

Assuming the Angels go after Hillenbrand, I am quite sure they want either Morales or Kotchman, so I guess I would give up Kotchman.

I would not count out a deal with Tampa for Huff. The Angels have a friend in gool ol' Joe Madden. He'll want value back for Tampa, but I don't think he would steer the Angels wrong.

I'm not so sure if the Carl Crawford deal is dead. It would not surprise me to see the Angels still do that deal straight up for Santana. I think it would be a horrible deal for the Angels, but they might make it.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sLim » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:47 pm

hillenbrand is not much of a defensive player...but 20hrs with a .300 avg is not bad...huff is more of the ideal power from a corner infielder...but hes gonna cost us more then just AK...id rather ship AK straight up for hillenbrand...

kotchman isnt goin to be too effective this year from what im reading...but i think he will really be undervalued next year and he could surprise alot of people next year...which could move morales into LF next year...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Halo Homers » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:42 pm

I read today the Soriano is still on the Angels rader. Hope that doesn't happen.

The cafe seems to be high on Huff having a big second half. Wonder what it will cost us to get Huff? Tampa does not need a 2B, ao if figure AK stays put for the year. Probably pitching prospects.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Halo Homers » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:42 pm

Huff is gone, looking like its going to be Hillenbrand, Soriano, or Craig Wilson.

Crawford still a long shot.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim