Think Patterson will keep it up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Think Patterson will keep it up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Think Patterson will keep it up?

Postby mcliffy2 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:15 am

He's been a godsend off the waiver wire for me...think he can keep this up? He was a 20-30 guy 2 years ago...but can he be a 20-50 guy?
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fritzenhammer » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:57 am

I'd have to say yes. Lately he's been doing it against good pitching as well - that HR off Willis was pretty impressive.

That said, he still is a free swinger who strikes out too much, so expect some bad streaks. At this point, I see no reason why he can't go 20 - 50, I just hope he manages to keep his batting average respectable.

FH
Fritzenhammer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:29 am

As a Cubs fan I was very frustrated with Patterson. He has the physical tools to go 20/50. Whether the baseball talent catches up to that remains to be seen. The rational part of me thinks it's possible...though 20/35 or 20/40 is more likely if he doesn't fix the poor contact rate. The Cubs fan part of me just feels too burnt to accept it as for real.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby mcliffy2 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:43 pm

Hes already at 29 steals so barring injury the 40 steals is probably very realistic...I guess I'll just hold him...he's having another good week, 2 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 SB so far.
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby alwaysnextyear » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:28 pm

I believe he'll keep it up. He'll get 50 sb's easily (barring injury). the 20 homerun part, I don't really care about as a Corey fan, but I do like his average right around .300. He's a STEAL on the FA market if he's still available.

I love to snatch a kiss and vice versa!!!
alwaysnextyear
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby freakshow » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:13 pm

Patterson's strikeout rate is down this year. I usually figure less than 5 ab/k is bad, higher than 8 ab/k is pretty good. Vlad is around 8 ab/k for his career, Dunn is around 3 ab/k. Patterson the last 5 yrs:

'02: 4.17
'03: 4.27
'04: 3.76
'05: 3.82
'06: 5.78

Not so bad this year. I don't know why, he's still got a huge swing and I'm always amazed he hits anything. Maybe Crowley had him shorten his swing a little or something. Did he always bunt so much? It's tougher to strike out when you're trying to bunt and he gets a decent amount of hits from bunting.

Anyway, I'd guess that he'll end up with around .285/75/17/65/45. He's still pretty worthless against lefties, but he's not going to steal as much against lefties anyway.
freakshow
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jonesbros » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:36 am

Maybe the change of manager/venue has helped Patterson, or maybe he's starting to come of age where everything is working for him all at once. Clearly, as a base-stealer, he and Roberts (who I'm also happy to own) have the green light and seldom get caught.

Many of the guys who don't like Patterson are bitter Cubs fans and who can blame them? If I had a guy who played for my team who suddenly went nuts on another team, I'd feel that way, too.

As far as CPat, I think he could go 20-50 no problem. He's already better than halfway there on the SB with less than half the season under his belt. My projection for him: .275, 19 HR, 78 RBI, 58 SB. I think most people would take that from an undrafted FA.
C- McCann
1B- Morneau
2B- Roberts
3B- Zimm
SS- Renteria
LF- MCab
RF- Francouer
CF- DRoberts
OF- Podsednik
Util- FThomas
BN
Konerko
Aurilia
Hafner

P
Webb
Lackey
ESantana
JWeaver
MCain
Garland
FCordero
Otsuka
Kasmir (DL)
jonesbros
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby alwaysnextyear » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:57 pm

jonesbros wrote:Many of the guys who don't like Patterson are bitter Cubs fans and who can blame them? If I had a guy who played for my team who suddenly went nuts on another team, I'd feel that way, too.

I am a die hard Cubs fan. When Patterson was there, I loved him. I don't think that he and Dusty got along very well and I just don't think he was happy in Chicago. He didn't have a job in Baltimore when he got there, with all their outfielders, but he earned an everyday job. I think that he's happier there and will continue to produce. ;-D

I love to snatch a kiss and vice versa!!!
alwaysnextyear
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Injuries & Player Updates