Have you run into this situation? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Have you run into this situation?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby great gretzky » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:27 pm

well colluding would be overtly deciding in this case. but if everyone comes to the same conclusion independentyl, there is nothing wrong with it. In addition, there is no rule that says someone HAS to trade...
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazing Oopah » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:51 pm

The only way to counter this strategy would be for all the other managers to agree to not trade with the guy but that would be awfully hard to make sure doesn't happen. :-?

It would be pretty funny though, if everyone doesn't trade with him and seeing him stuck with all these great pitchers who can no longer help him because he is out of innings.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby bleach168 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:39 pm

You know, if anyone can pitch ALL of their innings by July and STILL be second in ERA, they kinda deserve to win the league, don't you think? :-)
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:52 pm

bleach168 wrote:You know, if anyone can pitch ALL of their innings by July and STILL be second in ERA, they kinda deserve to win the league, don't you think? :-)

Far from being mad at this guy I think he definitely deserves a bit of respect. He's taken a great approach to things...out of curiousity how is he ranked in the offensive categories right now? Unless he's WAY back he's probably going to roll over the league.

And even if you don't give him fair value someone is going to be willing to make deals like the Carp/Wells one - I know that I would. The person getting Carp is winning the deal value-wise and yet both sides are winning as far as getting what they need.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Re: ...

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:00 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
riverrat wrote:Should the commish insist upon a more lopsided deal?

Let me get this straight...the guy had a good draft (apparently), and employed a different strategy than the rest of the league to great success. And now, because he's been successful and is moving onto phase two of his strategy, you think the commissioner should punish him by forcing a lopsided trade where he doesn't get equal value for his players?

Do other people in your league have this same frame of mind?

thank you

Double thank you.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:49 pm

great gretzky wrote:how can this even be questioned? Everyone gets the same amount of innings, he can use them as he sees fit.

Bingo! It's a roto league with max innings, so everyone is equal in that respect.

This strategy is used all the time in fantasy baseball. Typically the owner who drafted pitching heavy doesn't get full value due to him being screwed innings wise (and the league knows it), but the rest of the league needs pitching and that does allow for him to get some value for his pitchers that are racking up stats that he does not get credit for.

Not a strategy I'd suggest to anyone, but I have seen it used tons of times, and even work quite a few times. Nothing wrong with that strategy at all since everyone is allowed the same amount of innings.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers