Have you run into this situation? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Have you run into this situation?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bleach168 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:36 pm

<shrug>

I'd take Carpenter over Wells anyday.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ...

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:40 pm

riverrat wrote:Should the commish insist upon a more lopsided deal?

Let me get this straight...the guy had a good draft (apparently), and employed a different strategy than the rest of the league to great success. And now, because he's been successful and is moving onto phase two of his strategy, you think the commissioner should punish him by forcing a lopsided trade where he doesn't get equal value for his players?

Do other people in your league have this same frame of mind?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Laean » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:44 pm

bleach168 wrote:<shrug>

I'd take Carpenter over Wells anyday.

me too.

and looking at those starters, it doesn't even seem to me like he went like way overboard on the SPs only in the draft.

he just happened to draft well in pitching.

i mean, he could have taken:

1st round - hitter
2nd round - carp (fair pick)
3rd round - oswalt (fair pick)
4th round - czam (fair pick)
5th round - hitter
6th round - pettitte (bust, but maybe will do better with clemens on board)
7th round - myers (fair)
8th round - hitter
9th round - hitter
10th round - haren (steal)
11th round - lowry (not sure yet)

as for penny (steal), and arroyo (steal), he must have either drafted them real late or picked them off FA. and those 2 pitchers are the real reason why his staff is dominating, not because he went overly pitcher heavy in the draft. he did emphasize pitchers a bit more than hitters, but it doesn't look like he went into the draft with the strategy of getting all aces and trading them in the 2nd half for hitters.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:51 pm

agreed, haren and arroyo could have been had on the wire at some point. and some other good, but questionable guys like lowry could have been had there or even late.

If I was getting carpenter, I'd be thrilled. On the other hand, if I was the guy with carpenter in this particular situation, I would be pleased/satsified with wells.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Re: ...

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:59 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
riverrat wrote:Should the commish insist upon a more lopsided deal?

Let me get this straight...the guy had a good draft (apparently), and employed a different strategy than the rest of the league to great success. And now, because he's been successful and is moving onto phase two of his strategy, you think the commissioner should punish him by forcing a lopsided trade where he doesn't get equal value for his players?

Do other people in your league have this same frame of mind?

thank you
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CeeLoGreen » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:38 am

I used a similar strategy. I drafted Carpenter and Peavy in rounds two and three. I went pitching heavy in the draft because I know my leaguemates and they get desparate for pitching midseason. I just recently traded both for a combination of M. Cabrera, D. Lee, J. Gomes, J. Lugo, T. Coffey.

I am at or near the top of all pitching categories and am struggling in hitting. I am shifting my strengths and weaknesses. It's all about balance. Knowing your strengths and weaknesses and adjusting accordingly.

However, I also had suprising depth at pitching with mid or late round picks of Kazmir, Capuano and Liriano, as well as free agent pickups of Hamels, Jerred Weaver and S. Olsen.

This is an absolutely valid strategy.
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby number9 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:58 am

Valid strategy.

But if commissioner colludes with the rest of the league to give the guy poor value for his SPs, is that collusion? FB league is commissioner's little universe after all :P
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rainman23 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:10 pm

This is really an embarrassing question. This is the reason that discussions about "should this trade be vetoed?" always become religious holy wars. Because there are some managers out there who can actually think like this. The guy adopts a perfectly valid strategy, and it pays off. He makes the league more interesting, because who wants 12 guys who all manage the same? So now it's time to punish him so that he never dares to innovate or succeed again. Enlightened thinking.

Check out "Atlas Shrugged" in the off-season. I've always thought it basically sucks, because no one in the real world actually thinks like the villains in this book. After reading this thread I'm thinking I gotta cut Ayn Rand some slack...
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby great gretzky » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:26 pm

rainman23 wrote:This is really an embarrassing question. This is the reason that discussions about "should this trade be vetoed?" always become religious holy wars. Because there are some managers out there who can actually think like this. The guy adopts a perfectly valid strategy, and it pays off. He makes the league more interesting, because who wants 12 guys who all manage the same? So now it's time to punish him so that he never dares to innovate or succeed again. Enlightened thinking.

Check out "Atlas Shrugged" in the off-season. I've always thought it basically sucks, because no one in the real world actually thinks like the villains in this book. After reading this thread I'm thinking I gotta cut Ayn Rand some slack...

I'm inclined to agree. The point of the exercise is to manage your team, your way, with your valuations. While there has to be some mechanism in place to prevent collusion, these types of complaints seem awfully sour grapes to me.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby GrubNasty » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:18 pm

hehe everyone should read atlas shrugged, its good stuff ! and i think theres a lot of people that act like the villians?

but to get back on point, its valid, dont collude to screw him over...
GrubNasty
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers