CYA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:06 am

Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:I think what he may be referring to is "cover your ass."

Ugh, ticket... do you use Altiris?

Kaseya...its awful.

You know what sucks about Altiris? It doesn't display right in Firefox so I have to use crappy IE. Thankfully I downloaded the Beta of IE 7, so at least I have tabs. It still sucks though.

Ughh yea we can't use Kaseya with firefox cause its .asp!

WTF i hate .asp! horrible.

I should download IE 7 beta but if its anything like WMP 11.0 Beta I might shoot myself instead
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:18 am

my boss is technology retarded. i have to show him to convert things to pdf and stuff like. one time he was going to print a word document i worked on. he was really agitated, called me into the office, said it was all fouled up (used a different f-word there), no way he could send out a report looking like that, etc. so i turned off the track changes function and he printed the report. thats not really CYA but i felt like telling a stupid boss story.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:27 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:my boss is technology retarded. i have to show him to convert things to pdf and stuff like. one time he was going to print a word document i worked on. he was really agitated, called me into the office, said it was all fouled up (used a different f-word there), no way he could send out a report looking like that, etc. so i turned off the track changes function and he printed the report. thats not really CYA but i felt like telling a stupid boss story.

ahh I enjoyed that..good stuff.

yea boss's are stupid...you'd think they would hire people who are technically savy considering the whole universe now rotates about what kind of blackberry you have.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:29 am

Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Kaseya...its awful.

You know what sucks about Altiris? It doesn't display right in Firefox so I have to use crappy IE. Thankfully I downloaded the Beta of IE 7, so at least I have tabs. It still sucks though.

Get the IE Tabs extension for Firefox. It opens up IE windows in Firefox tabs.

I wish I had some cool stories, but I haven't been working long enough.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:30 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Kaseya...its awful.

Get the IE Tabs extension for Firefox. It opens up IE windows in Firefox tabs.

I wish I had some cool stories, but I haven't been working long enough.

I actually think I have that extension...never used it though...cool
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:46 am

I have it too and I never use it; I guess I know why... I like to have all my non-work related browsing in firefox (like this here) and have my work related stuff (Altiris, intranet, web outlook, etc.) open in IE. I like to keep firefox small on the screen and IE in the background so if someone walks up, I can just click on the IE window and, boom, there's my Worker Report and it looks like I'm working hard!
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:52 am

Coppermine wrote:I have it too and I never use it; I guess I know why... I like to have all my non-work related browsing in firefox (like this here) and have my work related stuff (Altiris, intranet, web outlook, etc.) open in IE. I like to keep firefox small on the screen and IE in the background so if someone walks up, I can just click on the IE window and, boom, there's my Worker Report and it looks like I'm working hard!

Yea my boss told me the CIO thought I was surfing the internet too much cause he walks by 1 time a week and apparently see's me surfing which is retarded because all our app's take like 20 seconds to refresh and I can type a short post in 20 seconds.

Anyways I just turned my monitor away from his view. Its a little akward but no neck problems so far.

I have boss's...Of course smoking cigarettes isn't a problem cause you are outside and the boss can't tell you've just spent an hour a day smoking butts.

But if I surf for 20 seconds and he see's me obviously i'm not working hard even if I have the numbers that show I am.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:55 am

acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:I have it too and I never use it; I guess I know why... I like to have all my non-work related browsing in firefox (like this here) and have my work related stuff (Altiris, intranet, web outlook, etc.) open in IE. I like to keep firefox small on the screen and IE in the background so if someone walks up, I can just click on the IE window and, boom, there's my Worker Report and it looks like I'm working hard!

Yea my boss told me the CIO thought I was surfing the internet too much cause he walks by 1 time a week and apparently see's me surfing which is retarded because all our app's take like 20 seconds to refresh and I can type a short post in 20 seconds.

Anyways I just turned my monitor away from his view. Its a little akward but no neck problems so far.

I have boss's...Of course smoking cigarettes isn't a problem cause you are outside and the boss can't tell you've just spent an hour a day smoking butts.

But if I surf for 20 seconds and he see's me obviously i'm not working hard even if I have the numbers that show I am.

My cube isn't in a high traffic area, and since I'm on a client location I don't have any bosses here to see what I'm doing; I've still made it a habit though that when I hear someone approaching, I just click the IE window and stare blankly until they walk by. I've conditioned myself to do this as naturally as breathing or taking a crap.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:02 pm

i have a similar technique. i also like to spread a few files out on my desk. occasionally i will look at those instead of computer screen. anyways, stare at something and look kind of angry (the george costanza method). i did that and my boss thought i actually was really busy and decided to finish one project himself.

a friend of mine also helped to work on some guidelines for slacking off. we called it operation shutdown.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:35 pm

Yea the look angry thing works well.. or just let out a deep breath.

Never look happy EVER!

They can tell you aren't working
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk