Ozzie shoots off at the mouth again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ozzie shoots off at the mouth again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:30 am

Apollo wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:The crux in calling someone a bigot is that they must be intolerant of those who differ. If OG is tolerant of gays as he indicates, a bigot you cannot call him. If you cannot prove he is intolerant, then you have no basis to call him such a powerful word. Find another phrase or continue being incorrect in a way which improperly smears someone’s name....You seem to be against this very action when it comes to Barry Bonds. Let's see some equality here.

Well, Ozzie previously said that homosexuals were child molesters. I consider that intolerant... *shrug*

Didn't know that. Link?
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:13 am

congrats to kenny williams for having backbone;

"The simple fact is we have seen this movie before," Williams told ESPN in his first public remarks on the situation. "If it continues on, the likelihood [increases] that … maybe one day I'll have to walk into the office and deliver some bad news and announce a new manager. That's just the reality of the situation."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2499675
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Apollo » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:20 am

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
Apollo wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:The crux in calling someone a bigot is that they must be intolerant of those who differ. If OG is tolerant of gays as he indicates, a bigot you cannot call him. If you cannot prove he is intolerant, then you have no basis to call him such a powerful word. Find another phrase or continue being incorrect in a way which improperly smears someone’s name....You seem to be against this very action when it comes to Barry Bonds. Let's see some equality here.

Well, Ozzie previously said that homosexuals were child molesters. I consider that intolerant... *shrug*

Didn't know that. Link?

If you google "Ozzie Guillen child molester homosexual" you'll get about 300 different choices. Here's the first one that came up:

http://www.chicagoist.com/archives/2005 ... esters.php

And a quote from that page:

In front of a gaggle of reporters at Yankee Stadium, Guillen rebuked remarks by San Francisco radio host Larry Krueger, who characterized certain SF Giants as "brain-dead Caribbean hitters hacking at slop nightly" and that the mind of Giant's manager Felipe Alou had "turned to cream of wheat."

Good so far, right?

Buuut then, just a few breaths later, he called out, "Hey, everybody, this guy's a homosexual! He's a child molester!"

Now, perhaps the guy was gay and just happened to be a child molester and Guillen was calling for cops to arrest a horrible criminal. Uh yeah.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby josebach » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:31 am

That comment doesn't necessarily equate homosexuals with child molestors. A similar situation would be if I would say...

Ozzie Guillen is an ignoramus! Ozzie Guillen is socially inept!

Do these comments mean that all ignoramuses are socially inept? No.

I'm not saying Ozzie didn't necessarily mean it that way, I'm saying we can't tell based on his comments. He was joking around when he made those comments BTW. Also, Ozzie doesn't have any problems putting down other hispanic players either. Does this mean he hates hispanics? I personally think that Ozzie is an equal opportunity offender and that he's a selfish dumbass. That doesn't mean he's a bigot and a racist, nor does it mean that the people who like him (a group which thankfully seems to be decreasing) are bigots and racists, either.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Zito is God » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:50 am

I basically came to the conclusion that after all this if you're still defending Ozzie you're either ignorant, or just brain dead.

Kenny Williams' interview was remarkable. I can't believe I am saying this but I applaud the White Sox for comments like that. Williams made it very clear what can and will happen if this continues. We don't know if those were just words to take heat off or if he actually meant he would fire a WS masnager but either way, definetly a good interview and should let Ozzie know whats up.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:57 am

Apollo wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
Apollo wrote:

Didn't know that. Link?

If you google "Ozzie Guillen child molester homosexual" you'll get about 300 different choices. Here's the first one that came up:

http://www.chicagoist.com/archives/2005 ... esters.php

And a quote from that page:

In front of a gaggle of reporters at Yankee Stadium, Guillen rebuked remarks by San Francisco radio host Larry Krueger, who characterized certain SF Giants as "brain-dead Caribbean hitters hacking at slop nightly" and that the mind of Giant's manager Felipe Alou had "turned to cream of wheat."

Good so far, right?

Buuut then, just a few breaths later, he called out, "Hey, everybody, this guy's a homosexual! He's a child molester!"

Now, perhaps the guy was gay and just happened to be a child molester and Guillen was calling for cops to arrest a horrible criminal. Uh yeah.

Talk about subjugated bias. You're stretching there. The way I and the way I think any objective person would look at those words are as two separate issues. He was joking around(OG style), throwing two separate insults at him. You have to watch out when you call such foul, especially based on such shaky ground. You aren't looking much better than OG...in a different way yes, but still not cool.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Zito is God » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:09 am

He was joking around(OG style),

He's always "joking around" and it's justified by "OG style" like "manny being Manny". This "OG style" is whats going to land him outside of baseball by next year's end. Let me freakin' coach that team, I promise at least a good showing in the playoffs. :-)

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:55 am

Zito is God wrote:
He was joking around(OG style),

He's always "joking around" and it's justified by "OG style" like "manny being Manny". This "OG style" is whats going to land him outside of baseball by next year's end. Let me freakin' coach that team, I promise at least a good showing in the playoffs. :-)

While I doubt you could garner enough respect from an MLB team to successful coach them relative to other real managerial candidates, I agree that he at a high risk of deservedly being fired.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Apollo » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:19 pm

Talk about subjugated bias. You're stretching there. The way I and the way I think any objective person would look at those words are as two separate issues. He was joking around(OG style), throwing two separate insults at him. You have to watch out when you call such foul, especially based on such shaky ground. You aren't looking much better than OG...in a different way yes, but still not cool.

Of course he was joking. He's never serious when he makes these idiotic statements; do you think he was honestly saying Marrioti was gay? The fact that he was kidding doesn't make it any less stupid.

As for whether they were two separate issues... wow. As I'm sure you are aware, there is a decent chunk of society that has an (unfair) association between homosexuality and child molestation. It's an unfortunate stereotype. If Ozzie Guillen was throwing two separate, unrelated insults at the guy, then it sure was a colossal coincidence that he picked those two out of the blue.

Josebach: Your example doesn't work because the two examples don't have an existing connection in society. A more apt example would be if Ozzie shouted "Hey everybody, that guy's black! He should be my slave!" Sure, it's possible that the two are unrelated, but not too likely.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:32 pm

Once the White Sox come off this high point, and like all teams, eventually they will after a few more years, Ozzie will say something stupid, the team won't be winning, and he'll be conveniently fired.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers