Ozzie shoots off at the mouth again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ozzie shoots off at the mouth again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Althalius » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:31 pm

i didnt bother to read all the pages, but did anyone question his coaching? I mean, I think it's fine for pitchers to bean batters in retaliation; it's part of the game. It's not like they're out to kill the guy, they just want to show them they won't be intimidated. And if Ozzie is mad at a rookie pitcher for not obeying orders, I mean, he's the manager. You do what you're told when you're a rookie.
Althalius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:37 pm

Apollo wrote:
KPucks wrote:Ozzie is at it again. He says he doubts he will attend the sensitivity trainging Selig ordered because to do so he would have to go to classes to learn English first.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2498795

8-o

Criminy. I thought there'd be a point where Ozzie would learn to just shut his mouth, act reticent and do what needs to be done. But he just keeps going!

I'm sick of this stuff.

You know I don't like these 'sensitivity classes' any more than Ozzie does but the fact is that he earned them by being a jackass. I'm sure MLB can find a Spanish-speaking touchy feely class for Ozzie and he can sit his butt down on the next off-day and listen to it - unless of course he'd like a bigger fine and a suspension.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Super Manny » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:30 pm

ESPN.com wrote:"I think the commissioner ordered that in order to calm things down, but, obviously, to attend one of those, I'll have to take English lessons first."

"I'll do what I have to do, at least when I have time, but I don't think I'll take those sensitivity lessons," Guillen said.

"I want to make it clear that I left school a long time ago and that I learned English in the streets. I have three boys at school and I am too old to return to a classroom," he said.

So Ozzie has been involved with Major League Baseball as either a player or manager for 21 years (signed by the Padres in 1980, so technically 26 years), but he claims he doesn't know English. He has lived in this country, is now a naturalized citizen, but doesn't know our language? He knows enough English to berate Mariotti, but not enough to attend a sensitivity course. RIDICULOUS.
:-t

Also, "learned English in the streets"? Please, Ozzie. Quit trying to boost your "street cred". A professional athlete, even at league minimum, earns more than enough to keep himself and his family off of "the streets". Maybe he has his English confused again...? :-/

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:52 am

Hey WR guy, you seem to throw the term bigot around quite freely. If you're going to be a representative of American and this place, you should justify such a calling out.

Code: Select all
big·ot - One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

The crux in calling someone a bigot is that they must be intolerant of those who differ. If OG is tolerant of gays as he indicates, a bigot you cannot call him. If you cannot prove he is intolerant, then you have no basis to call him such a powerful word. Find another phrase or continue being incorrect in a way which improperly smears someone’s name....You seem to be against this very action when it comes to Barry Bonds. Let's see some equality here.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby wrveres » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:01 am

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:Hey WR guy, you seem to throw the term bigot around quite freely. If you're going to be a representative of American and this place, you should justify such a calling out.

Code: Select all
big·ot - One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

The crux in calling someone a bigot is that they must be intolerant of those who differ. If OG is tolerant of gays as he indicates, a bigot you cannot call him. If you cannot prove he is intolerant, then you have no basis to call him such a powerful word. Find another phrase or continue being incorrect in a way which improperly smears someone’s name....You seem to be against this very action when it comes to Barry Bonds. Let's see some equality here.

It sure seems to me that he is intolerant... The Arod situation earlier was about race. He called another player out in that tirade too, I think maybe Jeter, I forget. And never apologized to him.
Every excuse he gives for his actions is because of his race, yet he has been in this country for 25 years. And now he is basically saying, in English mind you, that he would not be going to any sensitivity training because he does not know English. Do you really believe that Guillen is sorry for what happened, or do you believe that he is simply sorry that he got in trouble?

I believe the only reason he is sorry for offending "those people", is because he got in trouble and no other reason. He does not actually feel remorse. All one has to do is watch his supposed apology.

If you are that turned off by the term bigot to describe Guillens actions, what would be another word to describe this situation? Curious...
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby josebach » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:48 am

KPucks wrote:Ozzie is at it again. He says he doubts he will attend the sensitivity trainging Selig ordered because to do so he would have to go to classes to learn English first.

*begin rant*

It really is like he's a little kid the way he keeps testing the waters. I used to find him entertaining, but his act has definitely grown stagnant. A manager's job is important, no question, but nobody is irreplaceable. Hell, I could manage the White Sox with as much talent as they have.

The fact that he has the gall to insult people in English and then turn around and say he can't go to a sensitiviy class because his English isn't good enough is probably the best example yet of his obstinate nature. He doesn't respect MLB or the fans, and by the way he treated Sean Tracey, it doesn't look like he respects the players either. He's acting like he's untouchable. He's going to learn the hard way that he's not. Nobody is bigger than the game... especially a manager.

*end rant*
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:45 pm

Apollo wrote:

8-o

Criminy. I thought there'd be a point where Ozzie would learn to just shut his mouth, act reticent and do what needs to be done. But he just keeps going!

I'm sick of this stuff.

sorta like when sammy brought his interpreter with him to capital hill? :-b

i cant see mlb allowing this.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:26 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:sorta like when sammy brought his interpreter with him to capital hill? :-b

i cant see mlb allowing this.

Congress: Mr. Sosa, did you ever use steroids.

Sammy: Basebol been bery bery gud to me.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:05 pm

wrveres wrote:It sure seems to me that he is intolerant... The Arod situation earlier was about race. He called another player out in that tirade too, I think maybe Jeter, I forget. And never apologized to him.
Every excuse he gives for his actions is because of his race, yet he has been in this country for 25 years. And now he is basically saying, in English mind you, that he would not be going to any sensitivity training because he does not know English. Do you really believe that Guillen is sorry for what happened, or do you believe that he is simply sorry that he got in trouble?

I believe the only reason he is sorry for offending "those people", is because he got in trouble and no other reason. He does not actually feel remorse. All one has to do is watch his supposed apology.

If you are that turned off by the term bigot to describe Guillens actions, what would be another word to describe this situation? Curious...

Shoot I was hoping you'd have one. Bigot is a bit to extreme, but something implying part of what that word does is appropriate imo.

Duche bag, a-hole and the like are a bit to general. Hubris infected over-emotional angry man works for me, but is to long.

Ignoramus is definitely part of it. OG doesn't seem to understand that referring to people of lesser courage with a word which also has direct connotation to sexual preference is demeaning to them.

Philistine is the best I can come up with.

Or maybe intransigent ignorant a-hole.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Apollo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:20 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:The crux in calling someone a bigot is that they must be intolerant of those who differ. If OG is tolerant of gays as he indicates, a bigot you cannot call him. If you cannot prove he is intolerant, then you have no basis to call him such a powerful word. Find another phrase or continue being incorrect in a way which improperly smears someone’s name....You seem to be against this very action when it comes to Barry Bonds. Let's see some equality here.

Well, Ozzie previously said that homosexuals were child molesters. I consider that intolerant... *shrug*
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers