Next Years Top Ten? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Next Years Top Ten?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DevilDriver » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:52 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:
DevilDriver wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:i think Wright easily surpasses Vladdy in every single category.

At season's end, Vlad will have a better avg than Wright and more home runs and RBI. Just wait...

You willing to make a bet hell have better in all 3?

definitely
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:04 am

Way too early to tell.

All I know is I still have it (in a standard 5x5 league):

1. Pujols
2. A-Rod
3. Vlad
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Geek » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:30 am

So the consensus is that there's no consensus.

It'll be fascinating next year to see what different drafts look like.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Knicks4ever » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:04 am

Heres my top 10

1. Pujols - no arguement here
2. Wright - He is on his way to a 35-25 season batting 335. in the middle of one of the best offences in baseball and hes only 23
3. Arod - Begining to decline, but still one of the best offencive players in the game
4. Beltran - Hes back, one of the only true 30-30 threats in the game, and his average is way up
5. Soriano - Hes right up there with Pujols this year and hes doing it with 2nd base eligibility, the only question is does he keep that.
6. Cabrera - Showing us how great he really is, with no protection, and hes only getting better and even stealing some bases, hes definatly higher in a dynasty, he could easily be right up there with pujols in a year or 2.
7. Bay - Very quietly on his way to another great year, and hes doing it in a awful lineup
8. Santana - Hes the top pitcher every single year, theres no one else even close
9. Tejada - Hes having a great year again and hes showing us that last years down year was a fluke, hes the best SS by far
10. Vlad - Still a great offencive player but hes not the player he use to be
Knicks4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby joshheines » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:33 am

The_Met_Threat wrote:joshheines i dont understand your Mauer comparison. Sure if we were drafting VORP style, hed be a great pick, but in baseball Vorp is less of a factor than in lets say football. The fact that you know Mauer will fall past round 3 because of his numbers, automatically kicks him out of the top 15. His numbers may be damn good compared to catchers, but to other first rounders, they are just terrible. You cant just give him his would be OF numbers and say hed get that, because hes not. A first rounder is supposed to give you a good consistent season, with great numbers, Mauer may give you a great season over the next catcher, but not compared to the whole playing field.

There is no such thing as drafting VORP style. Fantasy baseball on a whole should be considered based on either a VORP style or VOAP (A being average). For example, what team would be better, a team with Sizemore and league average players at the rest of the positions, or Mauer and league average players at the rest of the positions? That's the true determination of value. To not consider position scarcity in making an evaluation of a player is missing a solid 20% of the value of a player.

As far as Mauer falling to the 3rd round, I won't really dispute that. However, the question wasn't posed as, "Who is a first round pick?" It was posed as who are the top ten players for 2007. More will give you top ten value in 2007. It's up to the individual "owner" to select him in the 2nd round, or take a chance he's there in the 4th.

And, finally, you've completely missed the point of using Mauer as an example. Yes, Mauer's numbers are not as gaudy as other would-be first round picks, but his value is just as good if not better. You simply can't disregard position scarcity. And taking position scarcity into consideration is what VORP is all about.
It's easy, fun, and 100% safe!
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dundeeslugger » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:19 am

You will want to get Teix early next year as I won't have him.

Last year I drafted Beltran and Jason Schmidt in my first 2 rounds.
This year I drafted TEix

You tell me if my 1st round pick works out.
dundeeslugger
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:53 pm

Personally today I would probably take

1 Pujols
2 Santana
3 Wright
4 A-Rod
5 Cabrera
6 Crawford
7 Ortiz
8 Soriano (if 2b)
9 Vlad
10 Manny
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby bellings » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:58 pm

I'm a little suprised by the lack of love for D. Lee. He started out the season strong. If he ends the season with a couple strong months, I'd give him the 10-spot. I wouldn't consider him an injury risk. It was a freak accident, and it's not like a tendon or ligament where it can be easily reinjured.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Geek » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:07 pm

bellings wrote:I'm a little suprised by the lack of love for D. Lee. He started out the season strong. If he ends the season with a couple strong months, I'd give him the 10-spot. I wouldn't consider him an injury risk. It was a freak accident, and it's not like a tendon or ligament where it can be easily reinjured.

This thread reflects the thinking right now. If Derrek Lee sets the world on fire when he comes back, he'll probably sneak in there.

Similarly, if Beltran or Soriano go in the tank, they'll likely drop out.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bellings » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:37 pm

Geek wrote:
bellings wrote:I'm a little suprised by the lack of love for D. Lee. He started out the season strong. If he ends the season with a couple strong months, I'd give him the 10-spot. I wouldn't consider him an injury risk. It was a freak accident, and it's not like a tendon or ligament where it can be easily reinjured.

This thread reflects the thinking right now. If Derrek Lee sets the world on fire when he comes back, he'll probably sneak in there.

Similarly, if Beltran or Soriano go in the tank, they'll likely drop out.

I see what you're saying. I suppose my point was that if Derrek Lee simply returns to his previous form, he should be top ten.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers