Next Years Top Ten? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Next Years Top Ten?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DevilDriver » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:36 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:The draft will likely be very questionable next year, as its no longer Pujols, A-rod, Vlad, Tiex as it was this year.

Alright I agree that Tex won't be top 5 next season, but how is it not still

1. Pujols
2. ARod
3. Vlad

Who do you think should be taken 2 and 3 if not ARod and Vlad? :-?

We're not even 3 months into the season...
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Geek » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:59 pm

DevilDriver wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:The draft will likely be very questionable next year, as its no longer Pujols, A-rod, Vlad, Tiex as it was this year.

Alright I agree that Tex won't be top 5 next season, but how is it not still

1. Pujols
2. ARod
3. Vlad

Who do you think should be taken 2 and 3 if not ARod and Vlad? :-?

We're not even 3 months into the season...

Well, A-Rod and Vlad are both over 30. Moreover, though A-Rod performed like a top 2 pick last year, he didn't in 2004 and won't this year (yes, I know it's early, but he's not going to pass the other 30 players outperforming him right now).

If A-Rod has a monstrous second half, he'll probably slide back into the #2 spot in most drafts. But that's certainly no guarantee. And Vlad is a case where he'll decline pretty rapidly once his athleticism and bat speed start to diminish a little--his tendency to swing at everything will work against him at that point.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DevilDriver » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:33 pm

Vlad is only 30. He's just in a little slump. You would never say that if he was raking, and guarantee you he'll being doing that very soon.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TB13 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:52 pm

Geek wrote:Well, we're almost halfway done with the season, and he's better than A-Rod in:

HR's (+2)
RBI's (+9)
SB's (+4)
Batting Average (+.55)
On-base percentage (+.12)
Slugging percentage (+.90)
Fielding percentage (+.08)

A-Rod has the edge in runs scored (+6). That's it.

At this point, the burden is on A-Rod to show that he's not the second best 3b in NYC.

That's right now. Wright has got to put up superhuman #'s year-in, year-out to be able to even be mentioned in the same breath as ARod. ARod is one hot streak away from leaving Wright far behind him. ARod has been a consistent consensus top-3 player for a long time. Wright has a ways to go. For all you know, this may be as good as it gets for Wright.
The point is that he has to show some great numbers for more than just one year to get that type of recognition.[/quote]
Last edited by TB13 on Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TB13 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:56 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:He was 10-20 coming into the season. After this great start, just wondering why you dont think he can keep this up. The draft will likely be very questionable next year, as its no longer Pujols, A-rod, Vlad, Tiex as it was this year. Its just Pujols, i think Wright will be getting drafted in the top 8 easily next year if he comes even close to keeping this up.

It's not that I do not think that he cannot keep it up for this year. Rather that I would need to seem him reproduce similar years in order to even be considered the best. No matter how good or bad ARod finishes the year this year, he will still go #2 in most drafts (right behind Pujols) next year, IMO. Vlad is a much more proven performer and he is still young. Tex's will straighten his swing out sooner or latter.
Like I said, I like Wright. But he has to show that he is capable of consistency before I annoit him a perennial top-10 pick.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The_Met_Threat » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:42 pm

TB13 wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:He was 10-20 coming into the season. After this great start, just wondering why you dont think he can keep this up. The draft will likely be very questionable next year, as its no longer Pujols, A-rod, Vlad, Tiex as it was this year. Its just Pujols, i think Wright will be getting drafted in the top 8 easily next year if he comes even close to keeping this up.

It's not that I do not think that he cannot keep it up for this year. Rather that I would need to seem him reproduce similar years in order to even be considered the best. No matter how good or bad ARod finishes the year this year, he will still go #2 in most drafts (right behind Pujols) next year, IMO. Vlad is a much more proven performer and he is still young. Tex's will straighten his swing out sooner or latter.
Like I said, I like Wright. But he has to show that he is capable of consistency before I annoit him a perennial top-10 pick.

Ok well the difference between our tones are that you look at it in terms of who will be taken earlier. Probably A-Rod will be taken earlier by people in public leagues who don't know baseball, and A-rod is the first player that comes to mind when you say baseball these days, for a lot of people at least. But if you look at some posts in here of what people think next years top 10 should be, the shift is already starting, and many think A-rod should drop out of that 2nd spot. I believe that A-Rod is a great player, maybe he is better than Wright, but the gap between them is extremely close, and to say Wright is not a perennial top 10 pick is a joke. Please give me a list of 9 players whom you think are better picks.

Tiex is not a very good player, he doesn't need to "find his swing", he's just not doing very well this season and everyone is so surprised. Tiex is nothing more than a product of Arlington Ballpark, and if i were playing in a keeper, id feel much safer with Wright than i would with Tiex, because Tiex can't hit away from Arlington. He's good, but hes no longer that top 5 pick, and won't make up enough ground this year to get back to that spot.

Vladdy has hit the 30 year plateau and you can already see a shift. 61BB/48K's last year has now turned into 15BB/37K's. That free swing mentality of his is already catching up to him. Hes not gonna steal more than 15 SB likely ever again, will probably hit around .300, and now LAA is honestly one of the worst offensive teams in the league, so his RBI and Run production should take a significant drop until they can find some protection for him. And i think Wright easily surpasses Vladdy in every single category.

What is there not to like about Wright? Sure you can say he hasnt proven anything, but actually put together his MLB totals and hes got 2 years worth of this. He's got all the tools that you want, hes got the 5 fantasy tools, he should be taken where Vladdy has been taken the last few years.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DevilDriver » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:25 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:i think Wright easily surpasses Vladdy in every single category.

At season's end, Vlad will have a better avg than Wright and more home runs and RBI. Just wait...
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:16 pm

1. Pujols
2. Arod
3. Santana
4. David Wright
5. Miggy Cabrera
6. Crawford
7. Tejada
8. Vlad
9. Soriano
10. Beltran? Pedro? Carlos Zambrano? Jason Schmidt? David Ortiz? It's hard to say, obviously.

Soriano could move up, depending on location.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The_Met_Threat » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:25 pm

DevilDriver wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:i think Wright easily surpasses Vladdy in every single category.

At season's end, Vlad will have a better avg than Wright and more home runs and RBI. Just wait...

You willing to make a bet hell have better in all 3?
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TB13 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:52 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:Ok well the difference between our tones are that you look at it in terms of who will be taken earlier. Probably A-Rod will be taken earlier by people in public leagues who don't know baseball, and A-rod is the first player that comes to mind when you say baseball these days, for a lot of people at least. But if you look at some posts in here of what people think next years top 10 should be, the shift is already starting, and many think A-rod should drop out of that 2nd spot. I believe that A-Rod is a great player, maybe he is better than Wright, but the gap between them is extremely close, and to say Wright is not a perennial top 10 pick is a joke. Please give me a list of 9 players whom you think are better picks.

You cannot say that people who will take ARod ahead of Wright do not know anything about baseball. Come on here. History is littered with "coulda bees" and "shoulda bees". Now, understand that I am not saying that Wright will fall into one of those categories. However, I just need to see over a little more time (say another year) before I make up my mind that not taking him as a top ten is some kind of cardinal sin. I understand what folks around here think and the reasoning is very, well..reasonable. However, I still resereve the right to my opinion. And as such, my opinion differs than yours. I gave my reasons as to why. That said, here are players (not in any particular order) whom I would take next year ahead of Wright:
Pujols, ARod, Vlad, Papi, Manny, Santana, Tejada, Cabrera, Beltran & Crawford. Mind you, this is not exactly my top 10, but rather 10 players that I would take before Wright.
Tiex is not a very good player, he doesn't need to "find his swing", he's just not doing very well this season and everyone is so surprised. Tiex is nothing more than a product of Arlington Ballpark, and if i were playing in a keeper, id feel much safer with Wright than i would with Tiex, because Tiex can't hit away from Arlington. He's good, but hes no longer that top 5 pick, and won't make up enough ground this year to get back to that spot.

This is not a new debate. Tex is far from a product of his ballpark. Players that fall into that category do not produce extrapolated road numbers to the tune of 26 homers & around 106-110 rbi's. Those are his numbers if you simply projected strictly his road numbers over the course of an entire season last year. Most top hitters have greater home numbers than road numbers. Tex is no exception.
That he is going through a funk is undeniable. However, all that he lacks is his power stroke. Once those come, the rbi's & more runs come. What Tex is going through is a power slump, nothing more. He was as highly touted, if not more, of a prospect than Wright. Wright could very easily find himself in such a slump next year. But that would not mean that he would simply be swept aside as "not that good of a player".
And i think Wright easily surpasses Vladdy in every single category.

Let me know when he surpasses Vlad in every single category and let me know when he has done consistently so in at least 2 straight years.
What is there not to like about Wright?

Nowhere do I state that I do not like him. I just do not share the opinion that he belongs where Vlad has been taken over the last few years.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers