Mulder still a good option??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mulder still a good option???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mulder still a good option???

Postby FalcoAtL » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:44 pm

Would he still be considered a good buy low candidate even after today's pummelling?
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:47 pm

In a word "no". He has not been any good for quite some time (at least 2 years). Maybe he is hurting, and he obviously is not as bad as he has been lately, but I would not want him on my squad.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hybrid » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:57 pm

His stuff is very down from what it used to be, I think he has to be hurt or something. For example in tonights game his fastball was consistently hitting only 83/84 mph. After the first time around the order the Sox hitters just stayed back and hit him over and over again.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:04 pm

I think this is the time the Cards should try to extend his contract. He's way better than he's pitching and they should get him at a discounted price than he would get on the FA market or when he starts pitching well again. I think he'll rebound.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:07 pm

Havok1517 wrote:I think this is the time the Cards should try to extend his contract. He's way better than he's pitching and they should get him at a discounted price than he would get on the FA market or when he starts pitching well again. I think he'll rebound.

Let him walk as a free agent. No one will pay him diddly. The money can be better spent signing someone like Zito.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby cordscords » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:10 pm

A few days ago I said that he would still make a for a good #4 starter.

Today I say he is WW trash.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:12 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:I think this is the time the Cards should try to extend his contract. He's way better than he's pitching and they should get him at a discounted price than he would get on the FA market or when he starts pitching well again. I think he'll rebound.

Let him walk as a free agent. No one will pay him diddly. The money can be better spent signing someone like Zito.

Come on, you remember the crazy starting pitching contracts that were given this past offseason (Millwood, Burnett, etc)? He's a lefty and that will just increase his pricetag. Plus, I don't think the Cards can outbid the Dodgers, Mets, or Yankees in the soon coming Zito sweepstakes. The Cards couldn't even match the bids made by Toronto & Baltimore on Burnett (who they wanted).
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:16 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:

Come on, you remember the crazy starting pitching contracts that were given this past offseason (Millwood, Burnett, etc)? He's a lefty and that will just increase his pricetag. Plus, I don't think the Cards can outbid the Dodgers, Mets, or Yankees in the soon coming Zito sweepstakes. The Cards couldn't even match the bids made by Toronto & Baltimore on Burnett (who they wanted).

No one is going to give Mulder squat. Who is going to pay him big bucks when he has a 6+ ERA in the NL? If the Cards can't afford Zito, they would be better off pursuing someone else. Signing a crummy pitcher bacause he is cheap is not the way to go. You often get what you pay for (unless you are Cashman, in which case you just pay). Mulder has not been good for quite some time. It is pretty obvious his days as an ace are gone imo.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:24 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:

No one is going to give Mulder squat. Who is going to pay him big bucks when he has a 6+ ERA in the NL? If the Cards can't afford Zito, they would be better off pursuing someone else. Signing a crummy pitcher bacause he is cheap is not the way to go. You often get what you pay for (unless you are Cashman, in which case you just pay). Mulder has not been good for quite some time. It is pretty obvious his days as an ace are gone imo.

Honestly, I don't think Zito is an ace either anymore. Mulder is better than he's pitching, I think. His career numbers will inflate his contract. The Cards have Mulder, Suppan, Ponson, Marquis all as FA with only Wainwright and Reyes to replace them. Adding the Vet Mulder at a discount I think would help ease the exodus.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:28 pm

I disagree. No one pays for stats 3 years in the past. At best, Mulder will have to settle for a 1 year contract with incentives.

Zito may not be #1 ace material, but I think he is a extremely good #3 or a pretty good #2 on any contender. And as the only quality SP likely to be available in the off-season, look for him to get really big bucks.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers