Weaver down, Sowers up... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Weaver down, Sowers up...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Weaver down, Sowers up...

Postby FuriousGeorge » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:54 pm

Wade Boggs' Mustache wrote:He was drafted before Jered Weaver and just after Justin Verlander in the famed 2003 amateur draft's Round 1.

This was actually the 2004 draft.
FuriousGeorge
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:12 pm

Yeah, Rotowire confirmed what I'm thinking with a caveat. They think he might be able to get by as a 'crafty lefty' but still they expect an adjustment period due to his lack of anything resembling stuff.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby tol1l1yboy » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:34 pm

I wouldnt be very high on him if I were any of you. Guys that dont strike out people have to rely on their defense. He is basically Jason Johnson and look at what he did this year.

Sure he is an unknown and didnt give up a lot of runs but this is in triple a...I know someone signed him already in my league this afternoon but I wasnt going to take a chance on a guy that cant strike anyone out in the minors let alone the majors.
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Super Manny » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:42 pm

For what it's worth, Peter Gammons has just confirmed on Baseball Tonight that the Indians plan to call up Sowers within the next week to replace Jason Johnson.

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Wade Boggs' Mustache » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:04 am

tol1l1yboy wrote:I wouldnt be very high on him if I were any of you. Guys that dont strike out people have to rely on their defense. He is basically Jason Johnson and look at what he did this year.

Sure he is an unknown and didnt give up a lot of runs but this is in triple a...I know someone signed him already in my league this afternoon but I wasnt going to take a chance on a guy that cant strike anyone out in the minors let alone the majors.

Just because a guy cannot strike anyone out in the minors does not mean they won't have any success in the majors. Believe it or not, some pitchers actually rely on their location and deception to succeed. A guy that comes to mind when looking at Sowers' numbers, Tom Glavine. Here's a guy who didn't K anymore than Sowers did in the minors, but I'm pretty sure he's had a decent career. You don't need to strike out 12/9 innings to succeed. If anything scares you, it should be his number of walks, not the fact he can't strike people out. Just my $.02.
Wade Boggs' Mustache
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sunspot » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:56 am

Not to mention, with a lower K total, he could keep his pitch counts down and stay in games longer. Innings are a point in my league. Don't get me wrong, I usually like the K guys, but Sowers seems very smart out on the mound, and that has, in the past, transitioned well to the majors as compared to pure fireballers.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:04 am

Wade Boggs' Mustache wrote:
tol1l1yboy wrote:I wouldnt be very high on him if I were any of you. Guys that dont strike out people have to rely on their defense. He is basically Jason Johnson and look at what he did this year.

Just because a guy cannot strike anyone out in the minors does not mean they won't have any success in the majors. Believe it or not, some pitchers actually rely on their location and deception to succeed. A guy that comes to mind when looking at Sowers' numbers, Tom Glavine. Here's a guy who didn't K anymore than Sowers did in the minors, but I'm pretty sure he's had a decent career. You don't need to strike out 12/9 innings to succeed. If anything scares you, it should be his number of walks, not the fact he can't strike people out. Just my $.02.

I completely agree with you but you have to have a very low number of walks to succeed if you don't strike out a significant number of batters. A good rule of thumb is a 2/1 k/bb ratio is the bare minimum to be a successful major league pitcher.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates