Weaver down, Sowers up... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Weaver down, Sowers up...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Weaver down, Sowers up...

Postby Wade Boggs' Mustache » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:26 pm

Found this on CBS:

The Indians have designated RHP Jason Johnson for assignment and purchased the contract of infielder Joe Inglett from Triple-A Buffalo. Hello, Jeremy Sowers.

Pick up the phenom Sowers in any Fantasy league at this point. That's a great offense to get him run support when he gets the call, which should come in a few days. Sowers was 8-1 with a 1.27 ERA through 14 starts in Triple-A. He has allowed just 74 hits in 92 1/3 innings, striking out 50 and walking 29. He was drafted before Jered Weaver and just after Justin Verlander in the famed 2003 amateur draft's Round 1.

Nothing official as to bringing him up though. It just sounds like an educated assumption that he's next in line, and he should be.
Wade Boggs' Mustache
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:45 pm

I don't know much about Sowers' pedigree but a 92.1ip/50k/29bb line at AAA is not very impressive. The 1 hr he's given up is good but that's not in line with last year's numbers. Given where he was drafted I'd assume that he had talent at the time (otherwise the team wouldn't have made him a first rounder) but those k/bb numbers aren't very good for AAA.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby checkers » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:49 pm

Indians didn't confirm that Jeremy Sowers would be called up to replace Johnson in the rotation just yet... so stay tuned...
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby win it all » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:51 pm

I cant get any replies in the add/drop room...Is it worth dropping Jeff Francis for him even though my starting 7 consists of 3 rookies and king felix?
win it all
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:42 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:I don't know much about Sowers' pedigree but a 92.1ip/50k/29bb line at AAA is not very impressive. The 1 hr he's given up is good but that's not in line with last year's numbers. Given where he was drafted I'd assume that he had talent at the time (otherwise the team wouldn't have made him a first rounder) but those k/bb numbers aren't very good for AAA.

ill take the 1.27 era in 92.1 ip over any of those numbers.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:48 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:I don't know much about Sowers' pedigree but a 92.1ip/50k/29bb line at AAA is not very impressive. The 1 hr he's given up is good but that's not in line with last year's numbers. Given where he was drafted I'd assume that he had talent at the time (otherwise the team wouldn't have made him a first rounder) but those k/bb numbers aren't very good for AAA.

ill take the 1.27 era in 92.1 ip over any of those numbers.

Yeah, era can be very deceptive though. A guy can pitch very well and post a bad era and vice versa. The 1 hr given up is definitely a skill based part of why the era is low. But those ip/k/bb/hr numbers project to an era of about 3.00 and that's before taking the difference of his AAA league to the majors into account.

Again, I don't know much about him as a prospect but those numbers look like a guy that should have been posting a 3.00 era and got lucky. He also projects to a 1.308 whip.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby j24jags » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:09 pm

;-D ;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby GradySizemore » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:57 pm

In is 14 starts this year he hasn't allowed more than 2 earned runs in any game. He is more of a finesse lefty than an overpowering type pitcher. Lots of groundball type outs. Hence the only 1 HR allowed! Should transition well in the bigs. ;-D
Thanks to go_jays_go for the sweet sig!
GradySizemore
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Amazing Oopah » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:42 pm

Hmm, in the one league where my pitching staff sucks, the league counts k/9, k/BB, and K's so his numbers don't seem very appealing to me there... Dunno, seems like a decent prospect though
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby johnsamo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:01 pm

He sure better be a groundball pitcher with those K and BB #s. Coming out of the gate, he might do well just because he isn't known, but the show learns quickly your strengths and weaknesses and they will adjust... Most groundballers still have to have a pretty decent 2nd and 3rd pitch, or they'll be a strictly bullpen guy in no time.

Pettite and Lowe come to mind. They like the groundball stuff, but they mix in other good stuff to keep you from going dead red on their their #1 pitch.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates