Watch it: The collapse of Josh Johnson is coming. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Watch it: The collapse of Josh Johnson is coming.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Kavorka » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:51 pm

Josh Johnson vs Rocco Baldelli

Advantage: Rocco Baldelli

1/2 way to the cycle with a HR and a Triple after 3 innings.
What are you guys doing?
"Putting on the Foil Coach!"
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Legia13 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:38 pm

You gotta love a team that gives u run support though ;-D
Legia13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:35 pm

I'm happy with his performance - 3 earned while getting his walks down. I'll take it.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:05 am

Johnson just isn't very good. I'll take a few seasons of minor league numbers over half of a season in the bigs. Sell high if you still can.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:52 am

What is with the blatant obsession with minor league stats when it comes to outperforming players? You all act like the superstars were superstars at every level. Seems like everyone is trying to cut this kid down no matter how he performs. I can understand when a mediocre minor league player has a good start or two, but Johnson has strung together 10 quality starts in a row. At what point do you concede that he just may have some talent? After such a great start, I say you have to give him the benefit of the doubt, or atleast partial credit.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby joeklopfenstein » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:24 am

Fade2White12 wrote:What is with the blatant obsession with minor league stats when it comes to outperforming players? You all act like the superstars were superstars at every level. Seems like everyone is trying to cut this kid down no matter how he performs. I can understand when a mediocre minor league player has a good start or two, but Johnson has strung together 10 quality starts in a row. At what point do you concede that he just may have some talent? After such a great start, I say you have to give him the benefit of the doubt, or atleast partial credit.

A guy wouldn't have made such a rapid rise to the majors if he didn't have talent. A lot of the guys here are just fantasy players with no insight or perspective on minor league prospects. Let them be skeptical, while guys like me who know a thing or two about the minors are able to grab players like Johnson before anyone else knows their name.

Josh's minor league stats aren't eye-catching, but he's been young for every level and has more than held his own. Career minor league ERA of 3.73, 1.37 WHIP with a reasonable 7.3 k/9. His major league stats this year? 2.20 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and 7.8 k/9. Obviously his ERA is quite a bit lower, but he's also improved his WHIP and k/9, so a lower ERA is a logical product.

The reason he's able to strand so many runners is because he has a good, heavy sinker than guys just pound into the dirt. He only allowed 13 homers in 359.1 minor league innings and has only given up 3 this year. He's also aided by the fact that he plays in a pitcher's park down in Miami for half his games.

In conclusion, will he continue to maintain an ERA in the low 2.00's? Probably not. Is he going to suddenly collapse, as this thread predicts? Probably not. Will he be a good pitcher the rest of the way and worthy of owning on your fantasy team? I say yes, without a doubt. But let the doubters doubt, they're only missing out.
Daniel Cabrera will win 20 games with a 3.00 ERA and 1.25 WHIP!
Oliver Perez will win 15 games with a 2.75 ERA and 1.15 WHIP!
Ron Villone will take over as Yankees closer and save 55 games!
Sleeper of the month: Brandon Duckworth!
joeklopfenstein
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Thursday » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:11 am

Fade2White12 wrote:What is with the blatant obsession with minor league stats when it comes to outperforming players? You all act like the superstars were superstars at every level. Seems like everyone is trying to cut this kid down no matter how he performs. I can understand when a mediocre minor league player has a good start or two, but Johnson has strung together 10 quality starts in a row. At what point do you concede that he just may have some talent? After such a great start, I say you have to give him the benefit of the doubt, or atleast partial credit.

Yeah, and sometimes it's just somebody talking down a player just because either they didn't pick him up when they could and the player got snatched by somebody else, or they traded the player for garbage and are mad about it now.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nolanwood » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:07 am

joeklopfenstein wrote:

A guy wouldn't have made such a rapid rise to the majors if he didn't have talent. A lot of the guys here are just fantasy players with no insight or perspective on minor league prospects. Let them be skeptical, while guys like me who know a thing or two about the minors are able to grab players like Johnson before anyone else knows their name.

Josh's minor league stats aren't eye-catching, but he's been young for every level and has more than held his own. Career minor league ERA of 3.73, 1.37 WHIP with a reasonable 7.3 k/9. His major league stats this year? 2.20 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and 7.8 k/9. Obviously his ERA is quite a bit lower, but he's also improved his WHIP and k/9, so a lower ERA is a logical product.

The reason he's able to strand so many runners is because he has a good, heavy sinker than guys just pound into the dirt. He only allowed 13 homers in 359.1 minor league innings and has only given up 3 this year. He's also aided by the fact that he plays in a pitcher's park down in Miami for half his games.

In conclusion, will he continue to maintain an ERA in the low 2.00's? Probably not. Is he going to suddenly collapse, as this thread predicts? Probably not. Will he be a good pitcher the rest of the way and worthy of owning on your fantasy team? I say yes, without a doubt. But let the doubters doubt, they're only missing out.

Excellent post!!! ;-D
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:35 am

nolanwood wrote:
joeklopfenstein wrote:

Excellent post!!! ;-D

his sig is even better

now lets keep the Josh Johnson love coming
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Stats

Postby freeling_prideful » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:57 pm

Johnson's not due for an epic collapse, but he's probably going to be a pretty run-of-the-mill pitcher pretty soon. He has decent stuff but mediocre command. He does have a park factor working in his favor, but that's not enough to compensate for the fact that he has a bad walk rate. Sooner or later people are going to start hitting him when there are runners on (some that he put on w/ BBs) and then you'll see the runs come in. I'd be surprised if his post-ASB ERA is under 3.5.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers