U.S. soldiers' bodies mutilated, booby-trapped - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

U.S. soldiers' bodies mutilated, booby-trapped

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

U.S. soldiers' bodies mutilated, booby-trapped

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:31 pm

I know we'd be stooping to their level, but I say we do to them what they do to us. I say we go "Keyser Soze" on them finding out who did it and torture and behead their family and friends and their friends. This is the total wrong thing to do of course and we'd be 100% wrong in doing so, but that is the retaliation I first think of when I hear they booby trap their dead bodies and disfigure their body so much that it takes DNA testing to identify who they are.

Here's to the family of the fallen soldiers...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/06/ ... index.html

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The bodies of two U.S. soldiers found in Iraq Monday night were mutilated and booby-trapped, military sources said Tuesday.

Pfc. Kristian Menchaca and Pfc. Thomas L. Tucker went missing after a Friday attack on a traffic control checkpoint in Yusufiya, 12 miles (20 km) south of Baghdad.

The sources said the two men had suffered severe trauma.

The bodies also had been desecrated, and a visual identification was impossible -- part of the reason DNA testing was being conducted to verify their identities, the sources said.

A tip from Iraqi civilians led officials to the bodies, military sources told CNN. The discovery was made about 7:30 p.m. Monday.

Not only were the bodies booby-trapped, but improvised explosives devices also lined the road leading to the victims, an apparent effort to complicate recovery efforts and target recovery teams, the sources said.

It took troops 12 hours to clear the area of IEDs. One of the bombs exploded, but there were no injuries.(Watch sad end to desperate search for soldiers -- 1:31)

The bodies were found in the Yusufiya area, Maj. Gen. William Caldwell said, adding he believes the soldiers were mortally wounded, then moved.

It was unclear whether he meant the wounds were suffered in the initial attack on a checkpoint or afterward. "Where we found them was not based on their own movements," he said.

The soldiers' families have been notified of the developments, he said.

The bodies were transferred to a coalition base and were to be taken to the United States for DNA testing.

Caldwell said he had not heard whether a note was placed on the bodies.

A high-ranking official with the Iraqi defense ministry had earlier offered a conflicting account, telling CNN Tuesday that the soldiers' bodies were found on Saturday in Jurf al-Sakhar town about 80 km (50 miles) south of Baghdad.
Group claims killings

Meanwhile, a claim posted on a Web site Tuesday said the soldiers were "slaughtered" in accordance with God's will.

"We announce the good news to our Islamic nation that we executed God's will and slaughtered the two crusader animals we had in captivity," says the claim, reportedly from the Mujahedeen Shura Council, a group linked to al Qaeda. "And God has given our Emir, Abu Hamza al-Muhajer, the good fortune of carrying out the legitimate court's command in person."

CNN cannot independently verify the claim, but it was posted on a Web site which frequently has carried such messages from insurgent groups.

Asked whether he gives credibility to a Monday claim by the same group that it had abducted the soldiers, Caldwell responded, "Absolutely not."

Earlier, military spokesman Maj. William Wilhoite told CNN he did not know whether the bodies showed signs of torture. "I haven't heard anything through our official channels," he said.

The U.S. military said Spc. David J. Babineau, 25, of Springfield, Massachusetts, was killed in the Friday attack, after which Menchaca and Tucker went missing.

Asked to provide more information about the attack, Caldwell said the military would provide details -- possibly as soon as Tuesday night -- after making sure the soldiers' families were fully apprised about the incident. (Watch for the witnesses' description of the suspected abduction -- 2:54)

Menchaca's aunt told CNN the family had been notified of his death.

Menchaca's uncle, Mario Vasquez, said family members were distraught, and were waiting to receive the body before making any arrangements. Earlier, some family members heard of the possible discovery through the media, before being notified by the military, Vasquez said.

"I wish they'd punish the people that do these kinds of things right away, instead of taking forever and spending millions of dollars," Vasquez said. "I think, you capture them, make them pay for what they did. Don't think that it's just two more soldiers. Don't negotiate anything. They [the killers] didn't. They didn't negotiate it with my nephew. They didn't negotiate it with Tucker."

Another of Menchaca's uncles, Ken MacKenzie, lashed out at the government Tuesday on NBC's "Today Show," saying it didn't do enough to bring the men home safe, The Associated Press reported. (Full story)

A force of more than 8,000 Iraqi and U.S. troops has been searching for the two soldiers. Searchers initially found a body that was thought to be one of the service members', Caldwell said, but turned out not to be.

Caldwell said troops used unmanned aerial vehicles, helicopters, boats and dive teams in the search. (Watch how search uses land, air, water resources -- 2:59)

One coalition soldier was killed and 8 were wounded during the search operations, he said. Two "anti-Iraqi elements" were killed and another 78 suspected insurgents have been detained, he added.

The three soldiers involved in Friday's attack were assigned to the 1st Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) out of Fort Campbell, Kentucky, the military said.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:57 pm

Pretty disgusting :-t
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Fireball Express » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:58 pm

It's sad that enemy is allowed to play under a different set of rules. God forbid we even hold someone for questioning and the antis are screaming human rights. The enemy knows this and exploits this fact. We should catch these guys and drag them through the streets tied up to the back of a Humvee. Inhumane? Probably, but this is war. Fight fire with fire!
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:12 pm

This story really hits home for me. One of the kids killed, PFC Thomas Tucker, is from a town near where I live. I had to report on this story yesterday and today, and I got a copy of his last phone message from his parents. Playing that message on my newscast this morning was the first time I've ever almost cried, literally, while doing my news. Some of his final words to his family were "I'm going to be okay, everything's going to be okay, I'm going to go defend my country. Be proud of me. I love you, and I know you love me."

It really makes me question our whole involvement in Iraq (more than I already do). Why, exactly, are we over there? What did this kid die for? To protect me? From what? The only entity that is trying to take my freedoms is the US government. What did he die for? Honestly, can someone who is in favor of this war tell me what he died for?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:45 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:This story really hits home for me. One of the kids killed, PFC Thomas Tucker, is from a town near where I live. I had to report on this story yesterday and today, and I got a copy of his last phone message from his parents. Playing that message on my newscast this morning was the first time I've ever almost cried, literally, while doing my news. Some of his final words to his family were "I'm going to be okay, everything's going to be okay, I'm going to go defend my country. Be proud of me. I love you, and I know you love me."

It really makes me question our whole involvement in Iraq (more than I already do). Why, exactly, are we over there? What did this kid die for? To protect me? From what? The only entity that is trying to take my freedoms is the US government. What did he die for? Honestly, can someone who is in favor of this war tell me what he died for?
I can tell you he will have died for nothing if we just pull out and don't complete the objective we started out doing. I don't think we should have gone over there either, but if we leave with the job not done, then all who died for the 'cause died for an objective that was never met.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:57 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:This story really hits home for me. One of the kids killed, PFC Thomas Tucker, is from a town near where I live. I had to report on this story yesterday and today, and I got a copy of his last phone message from his parents. Playing that message on my newscast this morning was the first time I've ever almost cried, literally, while doing my news. Some of his final words to his family were "I'm going to be okay, everything's going to be okay, I'm going to go defend my country. Be proud of me. I love you, and I know you love me."

I can tell you he will have died for nothing if we just pull out and don't complete the objective we started out doing. I don't think we should have gone over there either, but if we leave with the job not done, then all who died for the 'cause died for an objective that was never met.

What is the objective? Assuming we have one, is it even possible to meet it, and if so how? How many more kids should we sacrafice for it? We had an objective in Vietnam too...but at some point you have to admit your mistakes, cut your losses, and move on. If our objective is to establish a secure democratic government in Iraq, does anyone actually think this is a liklihood? The only other "stable democracy" in the Middle East is Israel...and the word "stable" is used lightly there, as they have been suffering through suicide bombings, then retaliating, for decades now. So what is the objective? Is it attainable? And again, what did these kids (and everyone else) die for?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:59 pm

chadlincoln wrote:

what job :-? :-?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:09 pm

My prayers go out to those soldiers' families. They died as good soldiers and that is how they will forever be remembered.

We need to support our soldiers even more now as they search for these cowards and teach them what justice is.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:38 pm

Fireball Express wrote:but this is war. Fight fire with fire!

I wish we would finally go to war and end this crap in Iraq. This isn't war, regardless of what Bush is calling it. This is a policing action at best. In war, there are no rules and you do whatever is necessary to win the war at all costs. If it means the enemy losing a few civil rights, so be it. If a few innocent people die, so be it. War is totally different than the game we are playing in order to try to please everyone (the American people and the rest of the world). Unfortunately, the majority of Americans have no idea what "war" really is, and even fewer Americans have the stomach for it.

We're way, way too soft. :-t

I've always said I respect our soldiers and salute them for the job they are doing. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of all our fallen soldiers, who died bravely serving our country. :,-(
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby KPucks » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:51 pm

Madison wrote:
Fireball Express wrote:but this is war. Fight fire with fire!

I wish we would finally go to war and end this crap in Iraq. This isn't war, regardless of what Bush is calling it. This is a policing action at best. In war, there are no rules and you do whatever is necessary to win the war at all costs. If it means the enemy losing a few civil rights, so be it. If a few innocent people die, so be it. War is totally different than the game we are playing in order to try to please everyone (the American people and the rest of the world). Unfortunately, the majority of Americans have no idea what "war" really is, and even fewer Americans have the stomach for it.

We're way, way too soft. :-t

I've always said I respect our soldiers and salute them for the job they are doing. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of all our fallen soldiers, who died bravely serving our country. :,-(

I agree. If America wanted to win this war very quickly, it very easily could. But to do so, we would have to use tactics that many in America would say are inhumane or unethical. Until we realize that in war things like that are going to happen, we will remain stuck over there.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to General Talk