Postby bologna_sandwich » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:39 am

Is he worth holding on to?
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-S
bologna_sandwich
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:40 am

Depends on league format but in a 12 team mixed league I'd say no. Here's my reasoning (source is Rotowire):

Padres' head trainer Todd Hutcheson has never seen a bone bruise as severe as the one which Roberts (knee) sustained on Saturday, according to the North County Times.

Strong words from a man who has spent the last 16 years with the Padres. It's looking more and more like a two-week absence is wishful thinking from Roberts and his agent. The San Diego medical staff believes that four to six weeks is much more likely, which would place Roberts' return after the all-star break.

He's a platoon speed guy so unless you have a DL slot in which to stash him I just can't see hanging on to him. I'm going to drop him in my 14 team mixed league myself as soon as I figure out someone worthwhile to add. :-?
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby bologna_sandwich » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:55 am

Thanks!!!!
bologna_sandwich
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bologna_sandwich » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:29 pm

Anybody else got a take on this cat?
bologna_sandwich
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:38 pm

Just wanted to throw out a few possible replacements that may or may not be on the wire that could pick up some steals for teams:

Gathright - Just got traded to KC and optioned to AAA but expected to be up very soon as a starting OF'er. They stink badly enough where he'll likely hit leadoff and have free reign to run at will

Kemp - If his skills progress anywhere near what his physical tools will allow him to do he could be a pickup of the year candidate. He's very raw though but he's got a sick power/speed combination.

Bartlett - Not an outfielder but that may be MORE valuable for some teams. Minnesota seems committed to him playing the rest of the way at SS and he has the ability to steal 20 bases over the remainder of the year.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby johnsamo » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:58 am

Something about that report seems funny... Granted, hitting your knee hard against concrete hurts like hell.... but 4 to 6 weeks? If there is no no ligament or cartilage damage, I would think that cortesone shots could make him functional in a few weeks. FOr amateur athletes, yeah, it could take months, but sports trainers are experts at cortisone injections. numbing the pain areas and not the rest of the area. When you're getting paid what these guys get paid, you put them out there as soon as playing doesn't aggrivate the injury, the pain can be dealt with.

And what the hell is concrete doing there anyway... It was a a padded wall, but the bottom ara was concrete. Surely stadium designers can do a little beter than that?
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:09 am

And besides, Docs don't want to say two weeks, because if it goes longer, it makes them look stupid, if they say six weeks and he's back in two weeks, it's because they're such good docs.

All Docs are like this. They never want the final result to be worse than their first diagnosis. Airlines do this too. They aleays overestimate flight times so they can arrive early.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:29 am

johnsamo wrote:And besides, Docs don't want to say two weeks, because if it goes longer, it makes them look stupid, if they say six weeks and he's back in two weeks, it's because they're such good docs.

All Docs are like this. They never want the final result to be worse than their first diagnosis. Airlines do this too. They aleays overestimate flight times so they can arrive early.

Even if he manages to pull off two weeks he's still going to be sore for awhile and his value is almost entirely tied up in his legs. If we were talking about a more talented player (or a very deep league) then you obviously keep them. But Roberts is borderline FA material in a 12 team mixed league. I never keep those type of guys around when they get hurt - especially if their game is speed.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bologna_sandwich » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:01 am

Even if he manages to pull off two weeks he's still going to be sore for awhile and his value is almost entirely tied up in his legs. If we were talking about a more talented player (or a very deep league) then you obviously keep them. But Roberts is borderline FA material in a 12 team mixed league. I never keep those type of guys around when they get hurt - especially if their game is speed.[/quote]

This is why you are the Lovable Loser! :-]
bologna_sandwich
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates