I nedd tech/comp/etc help involving video games. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

I nedd tech/comp/etc help involving video games.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I nedd tech/comp/etc help involving video games.

Postby Zito is God » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:26 pm

Ok, so I always hear how you can play old games online for free (Sega genesis, NES, etc...).

I tried sites like 1up.com and others but it seems my comp is old since the game opens but is VERY laggy.

I hear of these things called emulators that you can get free from many sites (my friends use emuasylum.com) and then after you install them you can download some other things that I don't know the names of and use the emulators to play the games.

Can someone (acs I am assuming) give me a quick guide for dummies as to how to do this. I used to be a huge Sega genesis fan and would lvoe to get a couple of games to play for free. Thanks.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:29 pm

Emulators are awesome; http://www.emulator-zone.com/ is just the first site that popped up in google but there are a lot of free one's out there. You download games as ROM's. Basically, you just launch the emulator like you would word or excel, in your case for Sega. Then, there's a menu where you can simply go to Open and just like opening a file in office, you just go to the folder your roms are in, open it up and there ya go!

I used to wear out my PC with my SNES emulator; and now I might go back and get it again.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:33 pm

Sure easy one here.

Emulators are basically "Digital Nintendo's" Nintendo was base on 8 bits which basically is nothing considering the massive amount of power a computer puts out.

Think of Emulators as a virtual console system.

You download your emulator which is a very small file.

Nester is what I've used.
http://nester.dranalli.com/

Then you download the ROMS. Roms are just the game coded out to work with the emulator.

Do a google search for Nintendo Roms. A game like Original Mario Brothers is only like 80kbs where as today games are 4 gigs. You could probably download every nintendo game ever and keep it under 10 megabytes.

There are also Sega Genesis and Super nintendo and other emulators.

I think there is a PS2 and XBOX one too but those take a good bit of computer knowledge to get working.

Anything else my friend?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Zito is God » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:10 pm

Thanks for all the info guys, seems simple enough.

One question: Is there any chance the games won't run smoothly, my comp is about 3-4 years old and is a Compaq (I hear bad things about Compaqs from some so thought I'd mention it), or do games run pretty smoothly with emulators?

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:24 pm

Zito is God wrote:Thanks for all the info guys, seems simple enough.

One question: Is there any chance the games won't run smoothly, my comp is about 3-4 years old and is a Compaq (I hear bad things about Compaqs from some so thought I'd mention it), or do games run pretty smoothly with emulators?

The nintendo games could be run on a system from 1985. You could have a high powered calculator and they should run fine
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:33 am

acsguitar wrote:

The nintendo games could be run on a system from 1985. You could have a high powered calculator and they should run fine

Many high-powered calculators fo run Nintendo games ... :-b

NES and SNES should be fine, as well as Genesis. N64 might give you trouble though.

I have an SNES emulator, and it is a dream. My advice is just to go on a site like Torrent Spy or Torrentz.com and get a package of emulators and ROMs (the games). Check the downloading reviews from people who have already gotten the torrent before you (which is a nice feature about TorrentSpy).

If you need an FAQ about torrents, look it up on Wikipedia, or just PM me and I'll help you out. ;-D

The lightside shall prevail...

Oh, and go Dodgers!
no1cowboysfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:14 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Many high-powered calculators fo run Nintendo games ... :-b

NES and SNES should be fine, as well as Genesis. N64 might give you trouble though.

I have an SNES emulator, and it is a dream. My advice is just to go on a site like Torrent Spy or Torrentz.com and get a package of emulators and ROMs (the games). Check the downloading reviews from people who have already gotten the torrent before you (which is a nice feature about TorrentSpy).

If you need an FAQ about torrents, look it up on Wikipedia, or just PM me and I'll help you out. ;-D

Yea thats a great idea you could get like ever game in one quick download.

Might be able to use Morpheus, BearShare or Limewire if you don't feel like using Bit Torrent
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Return to Video Games