Ben Sheets - Even more good news! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ben Sheets - Even more good news!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Don G. » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:01 pm

Questioning Sheet's competiveness is just plain ludicrous. Sheets is as fierce of a competitor as anyone in the game. Year after year he puts up Cy Young type numbers and gets no run support, yet he never once complained. The Crew recognized his talent and paid him his dues and are now protecting their investment. Why would you jeopardize your ACE knowing the team is finally starting to gel w/ all the young talent on the team. The Crew is playing their cards right and "us" as fantasy owners are frustrated because we want to reap the rewards now. Being a TRUE fan, I respect the decision by Brewers to make sure Big Ben is FULLY healed before putting him on the hill.

well put....im not a brewers fan (mets fan here) but i have nothing against them...they're doing the right thing with him...why risk hurting him even worse...we're just looking at it from a fantasy perspective....people who are questioning his desire need to shut up cause that's unfair since you don't know the situation and probably never even had tendonitis in your shoulder, elbow, etc to comment.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Doughhead » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:29 pm

Questioning Sheet's competiveness is just plain ludicrous. Sheets is as fierce of a competitor as anyone in the game. Year after year he puts up Cy Young type numbers and gets no run support, yet he never once complained. The Crew recognized his talent and paid him his dues and are now protecting their investment. Why would you jeopardize your ACE knowing the team is finally starting to gel w/ all the young talent on the team. The Crew is playing their cards right and "us" as fantasy owners are frustrated because we want to reap the rewards now. Being a TRUE fan, I respect the decision by Brewers to make sure Big Ben is FULLY healed before putting him on the hill...

This is a gross overstatement. Sheets has only had one great year--his breakout 2004. His line from that year is truly outstanding, including 264 Ks in 237 innings, a 2.70 ERA and a WHIP of under 1 (and, infamously, a losing record!).

However, he won exactly 11 games in each of the 3 years prior to 2004 and never posted an ERA below 4.16 or a WHIP below 1.25. He was solid last year, but pitched just 156 innings due to injury and didn't approach his gaudy 04 numbers in any category except (ironically) wins.

He's an ace pitcher based on the promise of 04 alone (and I can't wait to have him healthy and back at the front of my fantasy pitching staff), but to say that he's been a Cy candidate for years is more than a bit misleading.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Re: Ben Sheets - Even more good news!

Postby AgntBK007 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:20 am

mikhayl wrote:Ben. You're not injured. Do your job. Looks to me like you're saving your arm for the FA years. Meanwhile your team, which should be running away with the WC right now is stuck at .500

I thought this guy was supposed to be a fierce competitor. When he's on, he's by far my favorite pitcher in the league and if he were injured, I'd cut him all the slack in the world. But he's not. This is the same thing Pavano is doing and you're not going to get a lot of respect by emulating that joke of a player.

Yeah Pavano is such a phony. I mean everyone knows he purposely put those bone chips in his elbow.
AgntBK007
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:53 am

Sheets makes progress
Sheets was in good spirits after an 82-pitch bullpen session in which he threw mostly fastballs, with a few changeups mixed in.

"Two of the last three have been good," said Sheets, who wasn't particularly pleased with his previous session. "We're getting there."

Sheets wasn't certain whether he would be allowed to face hitters next time out. Once an injured pitcher gets to that stage, the next step is a minor-league rehabilitation assignment.

"I've got to be getting close (to facing hitters)," said Sheets, on the DL since the first week of May with shoulder tendinitis. "I'm sure it's coming soon."
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Don G. » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:06 am

damn...he's making a lot of progress now...can't wait to reap the benefits although i think i'll sit him for his first outing back just to see how he responds.

hopefully the nationals decide what they want to do with livan hernandez cause if he stays iwth the team i'm dropping him...otherwise he's staying on my team if he goes to a contender.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:05 pm

I'd suggest trying to trade him on the good news. I got Cliff Lee for him. ;-D
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:00 pm

chadlincoln wrote:I'd suggest trying to trade him on the good news. I got Cliff Lee for him. ;-D

If you're in a league with people that have a clue that might work...I'd probably give up Lee for Sheets if I had the pitching depth to get away with taking the risk. If you're in a yahoo public league or something like that no way do you get anything for Sheets until he pitches though (whenever that might be). :,-(
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:58 pm

I've waited this long, I can wait a little longer... !+)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yankees227 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:47 pm

Sheet threw 82 pitches in a bullpen session and is close to throwing to batters
Yankees227
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby imblotto » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:47 pm

Apparantly someone heard this from the Brewers other radio announcer (not Bob Uecker).

From the Brewerfan.net forums

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim Powell is reporting that Sheets, Ohka, and De La Rosa all threw simulated games and looked pretty good. Mike Maddux sounds pretty optimistic on the pregame show and is hoping that these pitchers feel good tomorrow after some rest. It looks like they will intensify the workouts in the future.

Ben Sheets threw some good curveballs apparently.
imblotto
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates