Ben Sheets - Even more good news! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ben Sheets - Even more good news!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ben Sheets - Even more good news!

Postby Don G. » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:25 am

I think these little blurbs deserve their own thread each time since they're good news that a lot of people are interested in, being that it's Ben Sheets and he's a top pick.

Ben Sheets (shoulder) threw a 70-pitch bullpen session on Saturday, but he said he's not yet ready to pitch in a game.
After nearly a month of virtually no progress, Sheets said he has had "two big jumps" in the right direction recently, first in Philadelphia in late May and again in Cincinnati earlier this week. But these steps forward have been followed by long periods of plateau, and Sheets said he needs "one more big jump" before even thinking about pitching in a game. The best-case scenario would seem to have Sheets returning immediately following the All-Star break.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Ben Sheezy

Postby freeling_prideful » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:46 am

I love this guy! One thing I will say, however, is that he always struggles in his first few starts back (something typical of most pitchers, to be sure). He takes a while to really get the ball rolling coming off the DL, but when he finally puts everything together he's a monster. Last year he had just started tearing up the league before that freak shoulder injury...
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Don G. » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:39 am

well I'm counting on him to sicken my pitching staff for the 2nd half of the year...i have halladay and oswalt already.....with Sheets, that's one NASTY 3 headed monster.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mrider » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:59 am

I would not be so optimistic. They said as a best case scenario he will be back right after the All-Star break and we all know Ben Sheets odds are he doesn't get the best case scenario. But when he does come back hopefully he stays healthy.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Ben Sheets - Even more good news!

Postby mikhayl » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:59 am

Ben. You're not injured. Do your job. Looks to me like you're saving your arm for the FA years. Meanwhile your team, which should be running away with the WC right now is stuck at .500

I thought this guy was supposed to be a fierce competitor. When he's on, he's by far my favorite pitcher in the league and if he were injured, I'd cut him all the slack in the world. But he's not. This is the same thing Pavano is doing and you're not going to get a lot of respect by emulating that joke of a player.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mrider » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:06 am

I used to think the same way mikhayl but Burnetts progress has changed my miond. Now you know Sheets is going to be 100% healthy. And a lot of writters and GM's around the league say these guys with constant arm trouble say its all psychological well at least Ben knows that he will be healthy when he comes back. So although he is quite a pansy I think this time off is smart and when he comes back he will be your favourtie pitcher in the league.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Don G. » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:53 am

I can't really complain since I picked him up ont he WW so I didn't waste a high draft pick on him. Whenever he's ready to come back, I'm happy, cause when he's on, he's arguably a top 3 pitcher.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:34 pm

"Ben. You're not injured. Do your job. Looks to me like you're saving your arm for the FA years. Meanwhile your team, which should be running away with the WC right now is stuck at .500."

I totally disagree with that. Sheets is indeed a fierce competitor. If anything, he's too competitive. He regularly fights with Yost to stay in the game when he's at 110+ pitches. Believe me, he wants to pitch and will be out there as soon as he can.

I'll agree with you on a lot of other pitchers, but not Sheets.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby spacehamster01 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:44 pm

Ever since Sheets got on the DL again my pitching has been a mess without John Patterson and Sheets. At the time my best pitcher was Schilling but after trading around I've got Pedro, Schilling and Webb. Getting sheets back will just make my team even better. ;-D . What a rotation, cant wait to have him back.
spacehamster01
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DON'T RUB IT!!! » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:43 pm

Questioning Sheet's competiveness is just plain ludicrous. Sheets is as fierce of a competitor as anyone in the game. Year after year he puts up Cy Young type numbers and gets no run support, yet he never once complained. The Crew recognized his talent and paid him his dues and are now protecting their investment. Why would you jeopardize your ACE knowing the team is finally starting to gel w/ all the young talent on the team. The Crew is playing their cards right and "us" as fantasy owners are frustrated because we want to reap the rewards now. Being a TRUE fan, I respect the decision by Brewers to make sure Big Ben is FULLY healed before putting him on the hill...
DON'T RUB IT!!!
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates