Pujols Likely (Possible) to Return Friday Night vs. Detroit! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Pujols Likely (Possible) to Return Friday Night vs. Detroit!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pujols Likely (Possible) to Return Friday Night vs. Detroit!

Postby Diggs » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:41 am

Pujols could return for series in Detroit

ST. LOUIS - Albert Pujols could return to the St. Louis Cardinals' lineup as early as Friday in Detroit.

Pujols will take live batting practice Tuesday at U.S. Cellular Field in Chicago, where the Cardinals begin a three-game series at 7:05 p.m. against the World Series champion White Sox.

It will be the first time Pujols has hit on the field since he went on the disabled list June 4 with a strained right oblique muscle.

"He's progressing," head athletic trainer Barry Weinberg said Sunday after the Cardinals defeated Colorado 4-1. "He was satisfied today. He took some ground balls, played catch, did some running and hit in the (indoor) cage."

Activating Pujols on Friday would enable him to be the designated hitter for the three games in Detroit. It doesn't seem likely he could return in the White Sox series.

A few minutes before Weinberg spoke to the media, closer Jason Isringhausen let the cat out of the bag when he discussed Pujols' return in Detroit.

"We should get Albert back in Detroit," Isringhausen said. "That makes things a lot better for everybody. To get Albert back within the next week is going to be nice."

Weinberg became angry when told of Isringhausen's comment.

"Then quote Izzy, don't quote Barry," Weinberg snapped. "Barry just gave you a comment. Quote Izzy if you want. Go ahead."

Pujols was not available for comment after the game.

Weinberg reiterated there is no targeted date for Pujols' return. He has missed the last 13 games.

"There is no timetable yet," Weinberg said. "Each time we satisfy something, we get closer and closer. We'll see how he does hitting off coaches on Tuesday."

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa agreed.

"We're just talking about progress," he said. "As long as he keeps passing the test, we're not putting any date on (his return). We're stepping up the workout. Some day if you see him take a serious simulated game, you'll know he's close, and he's not doing that."

Weinberg said Pujols hasn't felt any discomfort in his side, although he has had "general body soreness."

"But that's from laying off for two weeks," Weinberg said. "Now he's doing some field work."
I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Diggs » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:44 am

I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:35 am

i hope so, i'm going to the Saturday game
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mrider » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:54 am

I hope he desn't. Not because I care that other people have him in fantasy but I like the guy and coming back this early I think might be a mistake. He should wait another week to come back so he doesn't risk tweaking it again.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CadensDad » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:07 am

mrider wrote:I hope he desn't. Not because I care that other people have him in fantasy but I like the guy and coming back this early I think might be a mistake. He should wait another week to come back so he doesn't risk tweaking it again.

I must agree with you, I one him in 1 or 2 leagues. But Cardnials are palying good without him and he should mayeb take the extra few days off just make sure he is 100%.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby flooredyas » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:12 am

CadensDad wrote:
mrider wrote:I hope he desn't. Not because I care that other people have him in fantasy but I like the guy and coming back this early I think might be a mistake. He should wait another week to come back so he doesn't risk tweaking it again.

I must agree with you, I one him in 1 or 2 leagues. But Cardnials are palying good without him and he should mayeb take the extra few days off just make sure he is 100%.

While I do agree with those thought's, don't you think that the SL heirachy know just what is at stake with his health. They know how important he is to their team. Why would they risk activating him, unless he is fully recovered? Here's hoping for Friday!
flooredyas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Diggs » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:24 am

flooredyas wrote:
CadensDad wrote:

While I do agree with those thought's, don't you think that the SL heirachy know just what is at stake with his health. They know how important he is to their team. Why would they risk activating him, unless he is fully recovered? Here's hoping for Friday!

That's exactly how I feel. Initially I thought what the previous posters mentioned, "While I'd love him back in my lineup; is this what is best?" But after thinking about it, Albert is like a rock-star in STL and the STL management team and hierarchy know that they have the best player in baseball and an instrumental piece of their championship-puzzle in him. They wouldn't rush him back if he wasn't healthy. ;-D
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MMoNeY24 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:43 pm

Diggs wrote:
flooredyas wrote:
CadensDad wrote:

That's exactly how I feel. Initially I thought what the previous posters mentioned, "While I'd love him back in my lineup; is this what is best?" But after thinking about it, Albert is like a rock-star in STL and the STL management team and hierarchy know that they have the best player in baseball and an instrumental piece of their championship-puzzle in him. They wouldn't rush him back if he wasn't healthy. ;-D

Agreed with the last part.. There's a ton of games left and I don't think he'd be back unless he's 100% ready to play.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:03 pm

The cards are winning with out him no need to rush
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:47 pm

Pujols is a franchise player, and I'm inclined to think they will only bring him back when he is 100% as to not risk further injury. If that means Friday, we'll then great for my fantasy team, and welcome back!
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates