The "Other" Bronx South - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

The "Other" Bronx South

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The "Other" Bronx South

Postby WharfRat » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:57 am

Thought some of you guys would appreciate this. I went to the Nats/Yankees game yesterday, and while the Yanks' pen blew it (in a very exciting game), it was still a really good day, for one big reason: the fans. Yankee fans were there en masse, but were still outnumbered by maybe 60-40, probably more. But despite being in the minority, the Yankee fans pretty much owned the stadium. We were loud from start to finish, and all you heard the entire game was "LET'S - go - YANK - ees."

The Nats fans (who were extremely nice, gracious hosts) didn't get really loud or really make a peep until the very end of the game, when the winning run scored. Otherwise, the only noise they'd ever make was to boo the Yankee fans who were chanting. I thought that was pretty funny, actually. Made them seem like a bunch of buzzkillers. Even as the Yankees were up in the top of the ninth and about to lose, the loudest thing you could hear was "lets - go - yank - ees." People weren't giving up. On the other hand, the other side barely made any kind of noise during a great Nats' comeback, even when they got close. And even after the game was over, there were still Yankee fans in the parking lot who kept it going. And I saw a number of Nats fans, whose team had just won, who were openly pouting over these enthusiastic NY fans.

So while the Nats won, their fans could probably take a lesson in how to support the team, even in defeat. I've been to 20-30 games in the Bronx, but had never seen the Yanks in an opposing team's stadium, and I don't think I've ever been so proud.

Go Yanks. ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Minor League Skilz » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:11 pm

Great story wharf. It is good to see that that type of representation in DC.

I used to see that on a fairly regular basis at Camden yards when went to school there form 96-00. It was all the drunk college kids from the tri-state area causing a ruckus. I loved the city of Baltimore and the people, but the majority of them were way casual with their O's.

Did you go to today's game? Because the fans seemed much louder after that walk off HR. :~(
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:10 pm

Minor League Skilz wrote:Great story wharf. It is good to see that that type of representation in DC.

I used to see that on a fairly regular basis at Camden yards when went to school there form 96-00. It was all the drunk college kids from the tri-state area causing a ruckus. I loved the city of Baltimore and the people, but the majority of them were way casual with their O's.

Did you go to today's game? Because the fans seemed much louder after that walk off HR. :~(

What college did you go to?

Loyola? Hopkins? Towson?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Minor League Skilz » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:24 pm

On your first try. Loyola.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:36 pm

Minor League Skilz wrote:On your first try. Loyola.

Pretty cool. I'm just down the street at Johns Hopkins. I'll be going to Camden Yards to see the Yanks on Sept 10th ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby WharfRat » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:11 pm

Minor League Skilz wrote:Great story wharf. It is good to see that that type of representation in DC.

I didn't get to go to the game Sunday, but I'm sure it was more of the same. I had tickets to Friday, but I kinda got hurt last week and wasn't in much shape to go Friday (I went Saturday because I was with people who could help me get around and we secured special accomodations for me...long story). I picked the wrong game to miss... :-/

I haven't made it up to Camden Yards yet, I'd like to though. I'm in Northern Virginia, right on the Potomac. My girl might be going to Hopkins to get her PhD, so that would be a pretty good excuse to get to Camden frequently. She was born and raised in VA, a big Redskins fan and all that, but I've converted her to full-blown Yankee fanhood. ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby 1961 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:51 pm

Very nice story :)
This booing of our own players has really got me down lately.
Resident of http://forums.canyonofheroes.com
T-Ball Trainer

Graet

Postby Stejay » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:32 am

Great story. ;-D I was there that day and it was mindblowing the way the Yankees were in defeat. Lets keep the spirit up guys for the rest of the season!
Stejay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:18 pm

So while the Nats won, their fans could probably take a lesson in how to support the team, even in defeat.

I know that this story is over 1.5 months ago but I find it ironic based on the way that they have treated A-Rod. Personally, I wouldn't want anyone learning lessons from Yankee fans on how to treat their team.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Return to New York Yankees