Anaheim moves? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Anaheim moves?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:10 pm

Yeah, I've watched EVERY Angels game this year, and I've never seen so many errors, and not just regular errors where it was a semidifficult play, but easy plays and forced errors by the catchers making throws they shouldn't... And also, the defense isn't making any great plays where they're robbing hits.

This has just killed a lot of good pitcher outings.

And it's made even worse in that the Angels rarely ever have a big offensive outing where they can afford these errors and still win.

With just average defense, I think at a minimum, they'd be tied with Oakland right now, if not in first. With another hitter, I think they'd be in first by a decent margin.

That's what makes it all the more frustrating. It'd be one thing if they were just a bad team and had too many holes to hold out any hope, but they only need decent defense and a good hitter to win the West. It doesn't have to be a Carl Crawford, just an OF who's solid at the plate and not an easy out and who can allow GA to DH more. GA still can hit, but being in the field every day has really worn him out I think.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:32 pm

johnsamo wrote:Yeah, I've watched EVERY Angels game this year, and I've never seen so many errors, and not just regular errors where it was a semidifficult play, but easy plays and forced errors by the catchers making throws they shouldn't... And also, the defense isn't making any great plays where they're robbing hits.

This has just killed a lot of good pitcher outings.

And it's made even worse in that the Angels rarely ever have a big offensive outing where they can afford these errors and still win.

With just average defense, I think at a minimum, they'd be tied with Oakland right now, if not in first. With another hitter, I think they'd be in first by a decent margin.

That's what makes it all the more frustrating. It'd be one thing if they were just a bad team and had too many holes to hold out any hope, but they only need decent defense and a good hitter to win the West. It doesn't have to be a Carl Crawford, just an OF who's solid at the plate and not an easy out and who can allow GA to DH more. GA still can hit, but being in the field every day has really worn him out I think.

I saw another thought mentioned...do you think Baldelli would be enough to tilt the balance? Obviously nowhere near Crawford quality but it's something.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:15 pm

Baldelli might be enough, but not for Santana. I think Santana is gonna be a good pitcher for a long time and we can get more for him. Maybe Jeff Weaver for Baldelli.

Baldelli's young and his #s in his first 2 years were trending well before he got hurt. His walk rate and power #s were trending up and his K rate was heading down, and he had a good balance of power and steals. zIn short, he was on his way from being a good player to becoming a really good player till he got hurt. I'd like to see a bit more #s for this year to know if he's truly back to 100%. But a physical can probably answer that.

I don't like the idea that he's already had ACL and Tommy John surgeries at such a young age, but for his age, he also put up really good #s his first two years, so whether he's likely to be healthy from here on out is my biggest concern.

Here's what I wouldn't mind....

Ervin Santana and Juan Rivera for Johnny Gomes and Baldelli. That would be insurance in case Baldelli is a future J.D. Drewish health problem. The D'Ray can live with Rivera till all their OF prospects are ready. The D'Rays will take it because they're desperate for a quality SP.

I'd also believe it or not, love a Joe Randa type 3b just as a stopgap till Wood comes up. The Pirates would give us Randa for a song because he's basically lost his job to Sanchez but is drawing a vet salary. Randa can still hit lefties, which is Dallas McPherson's only hitting weakness. ANd he might be a good presence for Wood next year. But that also puts Figgins into the OF, which is needed.

So basically, that would give us 4 outfielders, Vladdy, Figgy, Gomes and Baldelli.... And they would occassionally swtch out with GA at DH.... SO 5 guys filling out 4 batting slots, you can get decent abs from them but not overtax Vladdy and GA especially. This would leave injury-in-waiting guys like Salmon and Erstadt as pinch hitters only.

Getting Figgy out of the infield and the Hopeful maturing of Mathis should dramatically cut down on our fielding problems...

Bringing Kendrick up to platoon/motivate Kennedy to play better is also crucial.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:23 pm

johnsamo wrote:Baldelli might be enough, but not for Santana. I think Santana is gonna be a good pitcher for a long time and we can get more for him. Maybe Jeff Weaver for Baldelli.

Baldelli's young and his #s in his first 2 years were trending well before he got hurt. His walk rate and power #s were trending up and his K rate was heading down, and he had a good balance of power and steals. zIn short, he was on his way from being a good player to becoming a really good player till he got hurt. I'd like to see a bit more #s for this year to know if he's truly back to 100%. But a physical can probably answer that.

I don't like the idea that he's already had ACL and Tommy John surgeries at such a young age, but for his age, he also put up really good #s his first two years, so whether he's likely to be healthy from here on out is my biggest concern.

Ervin Santana and Juan Rivera for Johnny Gomes and Baldelli. That would be insurance in case Baldelli is a future J.D. Drewish health problem. The D'Ray can live with Rivera till all their OF prospects are ready. The D'Rays will take it because they're desperate for a quality SP.

I'd also believe it or not, love a Joe Randa type 3b just as a stopgap till Wood comes up. The Pirates would give us Randa for a song because he's basically lost his job to Sanchez but is drawing a vet salary. Randa can still hit lefties, which is Dallas McPherson's only hitting weakness. ANd he might be a good presence for Wood next year. But that also puts Figgins into the OF, which is needed.

So basically, that would give us 4 outfielders, Vladdy, Figgy, Gomes and Baldelli.... And they would occassionally swtch out with GA at DH.... SO 5 guys filling out 4 batting slots, you can get decent abs from them but not overtax Vladdy and GA especially. This would leave injury-in-waiting guys like Salmon and Erstadt as pinch hitters only.

Getting Figgy out of the infield and the Hopeful maturing of Mathis should dramatically cut down on our fielding problems...

Bringing Kendrick up to platoon/motivate Kennedy to play better is also crucial.

Yeah, that's a trade both sides could live with. I don't think Rivera makes much money at all so that should make the DRays happy. :P
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:36 pm

Now, if only the Angels would make me their General Manager.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dc928 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:12 pm

johnsamo wrote:Baldelli might be enough, but not for Santana. I think Santana is gonna be a good pitcher for a long time and we can get more for him. Maybe Jeff Weaver for Baldelli.

Hold on a second, I don't think TB will give up Rocco and Gomes for E Santana and Juan Rivera, you probably have to add in another top prospect for that. Juan Rivera has no real value. I say maybe add in Adam Kennedy. Gomes is a good player I'd think they will hold on to him. I think you might be able to get Huff tho.

But I agree with you Angels need to make a deal. A small deal, dealing Kennedy for Shea Hillenbrand might make sense too. We don't need A Kennedy. We need to bring up Howie and give him a full time job and run with it. The guy is hitting .400 in AAA and I think he deserve a full time job.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:42 am

I'm so sick of the Angel;s defense stinking it up out there and they're putting the same guys out there everyday. Kenneddy is out there because he's a fan favorite for what he did years ago, but he ain't getting it done anymore. His error tonight basically lost the game for us. It'd be one thing if we had no options, but Kendrick is hitting around 400? What do you have to do to get called up? Hit 500? The defense surely can't get worse playing him.

These last two games, Escobar and Lackey were great, but it doesn't matter because we can't field or hit the ball. Matt Morris used to be a great pitcher, but he's average at best now, The guy doesn't even have a fastball anymore, but he looked like an ace with the ANgel's stinking it up all night long, the same as the night before.
If the Angels don't make a big trade and bring up their AAA guys who are ready VERY SOON, I and a lot of other Socallers are gonna start becoming big Dodger fans real quick.

The sense I get of the Angels is, they're twiddling their thumbs waiting for the team to wake up. pretending that's there's PLENTY OF TIME to catch the A's and the Rangers.

I'm reminded of the great Bum Phillips who when he became head coach of the oilers who were perrenial stinkers... The first thing he did was come into the locker room, he called everyone in the organization and the team into the room and said, "If you don't have a helmet, you're fired." That set the tone real fast.

Brendan Donnelly isn't happy... Trade him to KC, eat his salary and give his job to Suanders... Same thing with Kennedy, adios. Let people know there are no sacred cows anymore and that you're on the team to win, and if you're not helping, you're on the pine or on the next plane to Salt Lake City or Kansas City.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates