Liriano for Cy Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Liriano for Cy Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tomdoyle3 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:45 am

If Liriano continues to pitch the way he is now, there is no reason why he can't finish with 16-17 wins. Even the Twins can enough for Liriano to win. (If he's only giving up a run or two each start)

Chances are, he will tire, and that will be the only thing that holds him back. Although, he did pitch 190 innings last year, so this won't be the first year that he's pitched a good amount of innings. ;-D
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:19 am

Bosy Billups wrote:It's probably Papelbon... even though Liriano is a SP and will pitch more innings. The Twins are a smaller market, and a CY from Boston is good "for baseball and ratings"

Then why have the last 2 Cy Young winners been in Minnesota and Anaheim? They won't give it to a closer unless they have a Gagne like season and don't blow any saves. That won't be happening any time soon.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:24 am

Liriano is practically a lock to win the Cy . . . but not in 2006. I doubt his win totals will look rad enough this year to catch the voters' attention. But anything is possible.

I doubt Liriano will tire much, if any, down the stretch. He threw 190 innings last year. Plus, the Twins are being cautious with him and most likely will limit his pitch counts to under 100. He's likely to have some bumpy starts -- all young pitchers do -- but should finish with very good if not elite stats by the end of the year.

My best projection is: 13 wins, 175 K, 3.25 ERA, 1.15 WHIP.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:27 am

Liriano definitely has some nice numbers the last month, but he better get his win total close to 20 to be considered a Cy Young candidate. Schilling and Halladay will also have to slow down for Liriano to be considered a front runner for the Cy.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby giants! » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:02 am

Another problem could be that Santana and Liriano are on the same team. It is very probable that one will take votes away from the other, like the manny and ortiz situation.
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Geek » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:05 am

teddy ballgame wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:It's probably Papelbon... even though Liriano is a SP and will pitch more innings. The Twins are a smaller market, and a CY from Boston is good "for baseball and ratings"

Then why have the last 2 Cy Young winners been in Minnesota and Anaheim? They won't give it to a closer unless they have a Gagne like season and don't blow any saves. That won't be happening any time soon.

If Papelbon finishes with an ERA below 1.00, who knows?

When's the last time that Two rookies finished in the top 5 for CY?

It could be that Papelbon wins ROY and Liriano wins CY. Probably won't happen, but it would be funny.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Hobbes » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:10 am

I have Liriano on my team in a keeper league, and I couldn't be more pleased with his performance. However, I think his chances for the Cy this year are remote. Besides, with the season not even half over, it is very hard to handicap that race this early.

But I don't see why some think he will tire towards the end of the season. He started out in the pen and has fewer innings under his belt than most starters.

Innings Pitched:
58.1 Liriano
95.0 Halladay
96.1 Santana
95.1 Schilling
85.0 Contreras

I don't see an issue with him running out of steam any earlier than the other names on this list.
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Strasil42 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:25 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:Yea... for some reason though, he hasn't been getting the press he usually does. I think the media (ESPN) is kinda over him. I think it will go to either Paps or Liriano over Halladay (should all three be pitching like they are).

The Cy is all about the wins, I think we've learned that enough through the years. And if Halladay continues to pitch like we all know he can, he should conceivably get more wins than Liriano. BTW, we shouldn't forget Santana, but he might have the same problem of wins as Liriano.

And with Papelbon, he's had a fantastic year. But #1, the voters don't usually go with closers..and #2, I don't expect him to keep up his crazy .27 ERA. Once that's gone, there's really nothing much seperating him from say..B.J Ryan (who's another closer that's had an amazing year).

Nice post.

I agree 100%.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pokey » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:20 pm

I don't think Liriano or Papelbon will win the Cy, but, if the conversation is: who would win the Cy if they continue at their current pace, which is what the initial poster suggested about Liriano, I would think it would have to go to Papelbon. They don't like giving the Cy to relievers I know, but if a guy finishes the year with 50+ saves and a 0.26 ERA, he deserves it. That said, I don't think Papelbon can continue at his pace.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:04 pm

god it makes me sick i didnt get this guy. :~(
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext