Big Time Blue Jay Prospect Question! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays

Big Time Blue Jay Prospect Question!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Big Time Blue Jay Prospect Question!

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:17 am

I was recently looking at some prospect lists and found that the Blue Jays are loaded with great young arms (they even traded away Zack Jackson). I mean they have Romero, Purcey, Banks, Janssen, League, & McGowan.

While Janssen looks like a good bottom of the rotation guy, League was the "closer of the future", and the others have #1-#3 potential. Taubenheim has looked horrible and appears to be nothing more than a MR. I have no idea what's up with Towers but he appears to have lost it. I can't understand why the Blue Jays don't give Romero a chance when he's looked great in the minors.

It appears that the Blue Jays weak link is their middle relief pitchers. They have a MR Avg. ERA of 5.81 (the only great guy appears to be Speier). League has been great this year in the minors and would be an upgrade and have more future value, whether kept or traded.

Why not let some of these young stud arms pitch MR like many successful clubs have done in the past (Bos, Min, Det, etc.)? I don't know how much worse they could perform and the experience may do them some good.

Also, of the young SP arms the Blue Jays have who is the best?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:05 am

Wow, that's more than just one question.

Well the reason why they don't have Romero up yet is because he's still playing A ball. Usually a pitcher with his accolades will look pretty good there. In fact, I doubt we'll see him until maybe a September callup in 2007. They don't want to rush him.

Taubenheim has looked decent, but yeah I don't see him as being any more than a reliever in this league in the long run.

The Jays' bullpen, with the exception of Miguel Batista, was fantastic last year. I know it was the best statistically in the AL East, and one of the best in the AL. This was primarily because of Jason Frasor, Justin Speier, Scott Schoenweis, and Vinnie Chulk pitched great. Frasor's been one of our top relief pitchers for almost 2 years now, and he's looked much better recently, I doubt we'll see any more problems for him. As for Chulk, well he hasn't looked great. We'll see with him..

Scott Downs (as long as he isn't overused) and Rosario should also be fine. Pete Walker is also on the DL right now which is also hurting the pen.

I simply don't think they need to bring all of those young pitchers up right now at this point. I think they plan on leaving League in AAA until September as they brought him up way too early last year, and he was blown out of the water. He has the stuff to really be a great setup man or closer in this league though, and it would be best not to rush him, IMO.

As for who's the best out of their young prospect pitchers, well I'd have to say Ricky Romero.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Toronto Blue Jays