Scientolgy vs the Internet - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Scientolgy vs the Internet

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Scientolgy vs the Internet

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:51 am

Now, some of you who have been here a while, know that sometimes I link to a site called YTMND. Normally they are funny, but I thought that recent going-ons between YTMND and the Church of Scientology were interesting enough in a serious matter to show you. There were numerous scientology YTMNDs, and the Church decided that L Ron Hubbard and the name Scientology were trademarks and sent a cease and desist:
http://www.ytmnd.com/info/l_ron.html

Naturally, YTMND went nuts, and theres even a Scientology only section on the site (with a TM next to the Scientology for a good laugh) and a lot of them are funny but there is one very serious one that deals with Scientology:
http://theunfunnytruth.ytmnd.com/

WARNING: There are some mildly graphic crime scene images, so if you are a bit squeamish you may want to avoid. Its not that bad however.

This isn't made up for comedy, the stuff in that YTMND is just the facts. It's sort of scary in a way, the nefarious underworkings of this church.
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:07 am

that's really creepy, especially with the music in the background. :-o

they dont show any hard facts though. seems like a bad non-fiction books.
Image
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3757
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

Postby Madison » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:24 am

Very weird, but I guess when given who we're dealing with, I didn't expect anything less. :-b

I always thought CSI were Crime Scene Investigators. Guess not, huh? :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:58 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:that's really creepy, especially with the music in the background. :-o

they dont show any hard facts though. seems like a bad non-fiction books.

Theres a sources slide at the very end. Maybe you missed it. It has the URLs for 5-6 web pages.
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby KPucks » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:46 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:that's really creepy, especially with the music in the background. :-o

they dont show any hard facts though. seems like a bad non-fiction books.

Theres a sources slide at the very end. Maybe you missed it. It has the URLs for 5-6 web pages.


Just because there are sources does not mean it is true. I think there have been some large jumps in logic in the presentation, such as blaming certain deaths on Scientology w/o providing much evidence to prove it. The first case does provide a lot of info but I would have to do my own research first before totally buying into the story. The others seem much less definite. However, there are definitely many reasons why people should look upon the Church of Scientology with a cautious eye.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 1913
Joined: 6 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HiddenIdentity » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:27 pm

How about we wait 10-20 years and see what happens to Mr. Cruise.
Image
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 1417
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:43 pm

KPucks wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:that's really creepy, especially with the music in the background. :-o

they dont show any hard facts though. seems like a bad non-fiction books.

Theres a sources slide at the very end. Maybe you missed it. It has the URLs for 5-6 web pages.


Just because there are sources does not mean it is true. I think there have been some large jumps in logic in the presentation, such as blaming certain deaths on Scientology w/o providing much evidence to prove it. The first case does provide a lot of info but I would have to do my own research first before totally buying into the story. The others seem much less definite. However, there are definitely many reasons why people should look upon the Church of Scientology with a cautious eye.

Obviously they aren't completely set in stone, or else there would have been deeper investigations into it, but just the amount of mysterious deaths involved is disconcerting. The fraud and bilking of its followers is well known fact however.
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby KPucks » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:25 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
KPucks wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:that's really creepy, especially with the music in the background. :-o

they dont show any hard facts though. seems like a bad non-fiction books.

Theres a sources slide at the very end. Maybe you missed it. It has the URLs for 5-6 web pages.


Just because there are sources does not mean it is true. I think there have been some large jumps in logic in the presentation, such as blaming certain deaths on Scientology w/o providing much evidence to prove it. The first case does provide a lot of info but I would have to do my own research first before totally buying into the story. The others seem much less definite. However, there are definitely many reasons why people should look upon the Church of Scientology with a cautious eye.

Obviously they aren't completely set in stone, or else there would have been deeper investigations into it, but just the amount of mysterious deaths involved is disconcerting. The fraud and bilking of its followers is well known fact however.


It is much easier to prove the fraud and things of that nature, and I know it happens. I was just trying to say I think the video goes too far by trying to get the viewer to connect Scientology with death. I bet there were a lot of other circumstances in those cases that could help explain what happened, and its not like other religions don't have followers who have died thanks in part to that religion.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 1913
Joined: 6 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:45 pm

KPucks wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:
KPucks wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:that's really creepy, especially with the music in the background. :-o

they dont show any hard facts though. seems like a bad non-fiction books.

Theres a sources slide at the very end. Maybe you missed it. It has the URLs for 5-6 web pages.


Just because there are sources does not mean it is true. I think there have been some large jumps in logic in the presentation, such as blaming certain deaths on Scientology w/o providing much evidence to prove it. The first case does provide a lot of info but I would have to do my own research first before totally buying into the story. The others seem much less definite. However, there are definitely many reasons why people should look upon the Church of Scientology with a cautious eye.

Obviously they aren't completely set in stone, or else there would have been deeper investigations into it, but just the amount of mysterious deaths involved is disconcerting. The fraud and bilking of its followers is well known fact however.


It is much easier to prove the fraud and things of that nature, and I know it happens. I was just trying to say I think the video goes too far by trying to get the viewer to connect Scientology with death. I bet there were a lot of other circumstances in those cases that could help explain what happened, and its not like other religions don't have followers who have died thanks in part to that religion.

That doesn't make it right. Two wrongs, you know? The first one seems like a definite case of neglect and malice, theres a lot of evidence on that one, and the second one with the guy who got his skin scalded off is definitely shady too.
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby KPucks » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:16 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
KPucks wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:
KPucks wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:that's really creepy, especially with the music in the background. :-o

they dont show any hard facts though. seems like a bad non-fiction books.

Theres a sources slide at the very end. Maybe you missed it. It has the URLs for 5-6 web pages.


Just because there are sources does not mean it is true. I think there have been some large jumps in logic in the presentation, such as blaming certain deaths on Scientology w/o providing much evidence to prove it. The first case does provide a lot of info but I would have to do my own research first before totally buying into the story. The others seem much less definite. However, there are definitely many reasons why people should look upon the Church of Scientology with a cautious eye.

Obviously they aren't completely set in stone, or else there would have been deeper investigations into it, but just the amount of mysterious deaths involved is disconcerting. The fraud and bilking of its followers is well known fact however.


It is much easier to prove the fraud and things of that nature, and I know it happens. I was just trying to say I think the video goes too far by trying to get the viewer to connect Scientology with death. I bet there were a lot of other circumstances in those cases that could help explain what happened, and its not like other religions don't have followers who have died thanks in part to that religion.

That doesn't make it right. Two wrongs, you know? The first one seems like a definite case of neglect and malice, theres a lot of evidence on that one, and the second one with the guy who got his skin scalded off is definitely shady too.


I agree they are very shady, but I am not going to just take this presentation's word for it. If I really cared, I would do research on my own and draw my own conclusions using all the info I could find. I highly doubt all the info on each of the cases was provided in the presentation.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 1913
Joined: 6 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bradvk2, cecilem4, dwightlk2 and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Jul. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact