Jered Weaver just got sent down - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jered Weaver just got sent down

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby sixer03fan » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:42 pm

crappp...jered just got roughed up in his AAA start....i hope this send down hasnt messed up his head.
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:10 pm

I suspect Jered was told to throw at 90% and no sliders, to save his arm for his call back. That and too work on his changeup. Once you've proven you can pitch in the show, minor league stints are usually focussed on working on your weaker pitches and not taxing yourself physically.

It's a totally different mindset. You're facing a guy and you know you can blow him away with some heat and a slider, but prudence says, don't throw any sliders, don't go full throttle on your fastball, and work on your changeup... The hitters know this too so they can sit on your change-up or your 90% fastball.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby theultimate69 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:00 pm

johnsamo wrote:I suspect Jered was told to throw at 90% and no sliders, to save his arm for his call back. That and too work on his changeup. Once you've proven you can pitch in the show, minor league stints are usually focussed on working on your weaker pitches and not taxing yourself physically.

It's a totally different mindset. You're facing a guy and you know you can blow him away with some heat and a slider, but prudence says, don't throw any sliders, don't go full throttle on your fastball, and work on your changeup... The hitters know this too so they can sit on your change-up or your 90% fastball.

You sure you're not just rationalizing?
theultimate69
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdsun1 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:40 pm

theultimate69 wrote:
johnsamo wrote:I suspect Jered was told to throw at 90% and no sliders, to save his arm for his call back. That and too work on his changeup. Once you've proven you can pitch in the show, minor league stints are usually focussed on working on your weaker pitches and not taxing yourself physically.

You sure you're not just rationalizing?

If you were one of the hottest pitchers in baseball and you just got sent down to the minors for possibly 1 or 2 starts would you really care about the stint?? This kid can throw bottomline.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sixer03fan » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:51 pm

[quote="jdsun1"][quote="theultimate69"][quote="johnsamo"]I suspect Jered was told to throw at 90% and no sliders, to save his arm for his call back. That and too work on his changeup. Once you've proven you can pitch in the show, minor league stints are usually focussed on working on your weaker pitches and not taxing yourself physically.

It's a totally different mindset. You're facing a guy and you know you can blow him away with some heat and a slider, but prudence says, don't throw any sliders, don't go full throttle on your fastball, and work on your changeup... The hitters know this too so they can sit on your change-up or your 90% fastball.[/quote]

You sure you're not just rationalizing?[/quote]

If you were one of the hottest pitchers in baseball and you just got sent down to the minors for possibly 1 or 2 starts would you really care about the stint?? This kid can throw bottomline.[/quote]

well, i'd hope that if the kid is as good as we think, he would be professional enough to take every start seriously.
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:30 pm

I saw all four of Jered's Major League starts, and there's no way the stuff he was throwing there was going to get raked in the minors.

You see it all the time in Spring training. Confident veteran pitchers will often get rocked like crazy until the very last start. If you've got the car ready and a full tank of gas, there's no point in reving the engine before the race starts.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby josebach » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:39 am

His head probably wasn't in the game. If the people at the cafe are angry he got sent back down, how must he feel? I also don't think for a second that he was "throwing 90%". When you're experiencing success, the last thing you're going to do is change your approach.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mrider » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:45 am

Thats not true if Scocia told him to I think he would. Maybe hes coming back up soon. But I just dropped him and once he clears waivers I am picking him back up
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cool Daddy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:54 am

I'm holdinh him in all 3 leagues for now.... ;-D
cool Daddy
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates