Jered Weaver just got sent down - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jered Weaver just got sent down

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NIU Ricky » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:04 am

I'll be so pissed if this messes with Jered's head. If the Angels have any brains they are going to make a trade and Jered will be back before we know it. Let's hope this is true my fellow "Dream Weaver" owners! ;-D
NIU Ricky
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sixer03fan » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:51 am

as a current weaver owner, while i cant wait for him to be called back.... i am worried now that he's gonna do a lot worse than his first stint.

...crap, some1 out there tell me everything is gonna be ok! haha
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:53 am

Trade or no trade, Jered will be back and in the rotation by then end of this month... If nobody gets traded (Not likely), Kelvim Escobar will move to long relief and Jered will have his spot. The main concern with Jered is to just keep his start every 5th day routine going, so if it has to be Salt Lake City for a start or too, so be it.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:02 am

Unlike his brother, Jered seems a bit more mature and shakes off miscues and things that upset him. Jeff tends to let homeruns, bad inning and errors affect his play, but Jered just shakes it off and stays focussed on the next pitch. I think he knows he'll be back shortly, and understands that it's him going down (to make room for Colon) just because he's a rookie, and they could send him down without going on the waiver wire where a team could grab a veteran pitcher for free.

If anything, what's happening is a compliment... The Angels are trying to trade a great young pitcher in Santana because they think he's even better.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:06 am

P.S.... Jeff seems to be maturing a bit. He knows his stuff is very similiar to Jereds, it's just that Jered is more focussed and locates consistantly. I think this sibling rivalry thing may make Jeff become a little more focussed like Jered.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Analysis Paralysis » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:55 am

The Angels ARE the same team that can't hit a beach ball and won't call up Howie Kendrick and his .380+ BA. You would think their GM is on the hot seat...
Analysis Paralysis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mcliffy2 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:42 am

This note was on Jeff Weaver's page, not sure why Yahoo didn't also put it on Jered's. This could be good news, but it also might mean talks w/ Tampa fell off. Also strange the pitcher is different, why would Boston want Weaver over Santana?

Jun 17 The Red Sox have had discussions with the Angels regarding Weaver, the Providence Journal reports.
Recommendation: The Angels are willing to eat a significant portion of Weaver's salary ($8.25 million) to facilitate a deal. The Red Sox find themselves down a starter with injuries to David Wells (knee) and Matt Clement (shoulder), but may try to get by in the short term internally.
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:52 pm

Just wanted to mention that Peter Gammons just said that the Crawford/Santana deal is probably not going to happen because the "Devil Rays want a whole lot more than Santana and the Angels aren't willing to give that". Take it for what it's worth...it IS Peter Gammons here...but the fact the the DRays want more than Santana is both predictable and in line with what we've discussed. Maybe the Angels really are balking at the idea of giving up Wood or Kendrick along with Santana. Maybe the DRays are asking for Wood AND Kendrick. Not sure on that part but the news doesn't sound good for anyone involved as a deal would be great for pretty much everyone's keeper value, the short and long term futures of both teams and the current year's fantasy value for everyone involved except for Santana (I think it hurts him a tiny bit this year).
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:48 am

The D'Rays' prospects recent legal troubles may have made them rethink their confidence about replacing Crawford. I'm starting to shift my hopes to Lee or Soriano.... Crawford was so tantalizing, besides his talent, the fact that he's not up for free agency. I'm not sure I want to give up a Santana for a player you're going to have for half a season. That's where a Jeff Weaver trade seems more likely.

The thing is, Crawford was overkill for the talent level that I think they need to improve to win the west this year. I thnk they just need a "good" outfielder. I know intra-division teams hate doing deals, but I bet the Rangers would take Santana for Gary Mathews Jr. The Rangers are desperate for SPs.

The Angels may have to start looking at teams with high salary vets that are out of the race... Melvin Mora, Burrell

Or possibly stars on teams that aren't going to be able to afford them when they hit free agency...

The non Crawford dream trade is Santana and Brendan Wood for Miguel Cabrera... WIth Cabrera, we could settle for a Reggie Sanderish OF

Or maybe Jason Bay and Randa for Santana, wood and another prospect.

Santana is so good, somebody will give up a hitter for him.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:53 am

It's so hard to read press rumors, sometimes a team can spread a rumor that a deal is dead just to try and sweeten the pot. I know the Angels are more willing to trade Wood than Kendrick, because Dallas McPherson is developing at 3rd but they know Kennedy isn't going to cut it for long and Kendrick is their only good and ready option.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates