Is Hamels all Hype??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Is Hamels all Hype???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Hamels all Hype???

Postby hpham45 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:08 pm

Not only is he injury prone but he's gettin rocked right now. I'm considering dropping him and taking a flyer on Billingsley. Your thoughts?
hpham45
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jeebas8280 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:21 pm

its not surprising to me, it was only a matter of time before he got rocked. He'll have peaks and valleys but i wouldnt drop him, he has value, wait on him and if he ha a QS next time put him on the block.
jeebas8280
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Hamels all Hype???

Postby Red Sox Nation » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:06 pm

hpham45 wrote:Not only is he injury prone but he's gettin rocked right now. I'm considering dropping him and taking a flyer on Billingsley. Your thoughts?

Nice roster. Burnett's coming back soon and we'll see how he does. He should have good stuff though.

I dunno. It's a risk with all these new rookie pitchers. Take a stab at Billingsley. Hamels seems to be losing control in his games but he migh t come back next outing. You can afford to drop Hamels for a start or two and pick up Billingsley to see how he does.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Doughhead » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:29 pm

What are you talking about? Hamels wasn't that hyped. ;-)
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Chip1010 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:21 am

I don't think he's ALL hype. I'd say about 35% hype. ;-)

He's still a good pitcher. He's gonna get rocked. He's young. He'll be around for a while.
Chip1010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BANDINI » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:24 am

The kid is not all hype....he is simply taking some lumps at the major league level. Plus the Phillies are playing terribly right now, and the whole team is sucking. I have seen all but one game, and he has certaintly shown plenty of flashes of brilliance to prove his stellar minor league stats were no joke. Yesterday he hit 96 mph on his fastball, and he has one of the best changeups in the game. Many of the best pitchers in baseball had some rough times their first year in the bigs, so don't get down on Hamels so quickly.
Plus he has been snakebitten by some HIDEOUS phillies defense and some weak hits that barely found their way in.
IMO he just needs to be a bit more aggressive and pitch inside more...he seems to be nibbling too much instead of going after hitters. In his prevoius start when he got aggressive he struck out 4 or 5 guys in a row.
Keep the faith, the kid has too much talent and poise to give up on.
BANDINI
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Red Sox Nation » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:10 am

BANDINI wrote:The kid is not all hype....he is simply taking some lumps at the major league level. Plus the Phillies are playing terribly right now, and the whole team is sucking. I have seen all but one game, and he has certaintly shown plenty of flashes of brilliance to prove his stellar minor league stats were no joke. Yesterday he hit 96 mph on his fastball, and he has one of the best changeups in the game. Many of the best pitchers in baseball had some rough times their first year in the bigs, so don't get down on Hamels so quickly.
Plus he has been snakebitten by some HIDEOUS phillies defense and some weak hits that barely found their way in.
IMO he just needs to be a bit more aggressive and pitch inside more...he seems to be nibbling too much instead of going after hitters. In his prevoius start when he got aggressive he struck out 4 or 5 guys in a row.
Keep the faith, the kid has too much talent and poise to give up on.

I heard he's injury-prone in the minors. He's already made a 15 day DL this season.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sportsguy138 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:46 pm

he got hyped up wayyyy too much on this forum...

im not sayin that hes a bad pitcher.. hes still very good...

but people were makin him sound like he was as good as santana
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 403)

Postby jroll11 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:07 pm

people in philly are makin him out to be something so quickly. everyone thinks that he he is going to come in and be the next steve carlton. i think that people just need to stop puttin him up so high and just let him pitch. but thats not gonna happen here. as soon as he starts doin bad hes gonna hear the boos
jroll11
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheOmen » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:14 am

The kid is going to be fine, he has the heart of a lion the the stuff of a #1 SP...but anyone who expected him to put them over the top in fantasy baseball this season best have 4 SP's starting in front of him or it's going to be a long season...
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates