A-choke says we should rip away at him.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-choke says we should rip away at him....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A-choke says we should rip away at him....

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:19 pm

Who am I to argue with such sound logic.


From the NY Daily News:
"If you guys want to write the worst about someone, today's a good day to do it about me," he said. Said it more than a few times. "Go ahead," he said. "Rip away, rip away, rip away."

It didn't stop there. "If I was a writer I'd probably be writing some nasty things, too. If I was a fan I'd probably be booing me, too."

...

"The Yankees had closed to within two runs, and had runners on second and third with one out after Miguel Cairo's stolen base. A single would tie the score. A fly ball would be worth a run. Another homer would fill the dugout with happy little boys. But A-Rod picked the wrong door. The count was 2-2 and the famous relief pitcher, Fausto Carmona, threw a breaking ball. A-Rod's bat went all the way around without touching a thing."
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:25 pm

Swinging and totally missing is weak... He needs to start hitting the first pitch.

he is horrible with two strikes.

He's a great hitter when he's not striking out
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby wrveres » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:28 pm

I hope the Yankees trade him, and they get stuck paying 10 million per of his contract while he plays SS for the New York Mets or the Red Sox ..

Nothing would be more perfect for the spoiled rotten fans of the NYY ..

what fools
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31627
(Past Year: 1144)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Howie » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:31 pm

wrveres wrote:I hope the Yankees trade him, and they get stuck paying 10 million per of his contract while he plays SS for the New York Mets or the Red Sox ..

Nothing would be more perfect for the spoiled rotten fans of the NYY ..

what fools


Word.
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 3450
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: So Cal

Postby Geek » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:36 pm

This columnist nails it.

Hitting 40 or 50 meaningless home runs looked a lot better in Seattle or Arlington than they do in the Bronx. Here, performance is measured by situations, not just statistics.

When Rodriguez came to bat in the seventh inning, it was what has become known as A-Rod Time: Nobody on, nobody out, Yankees down by five. So of course Rodriguez cracked Cliff Lee's 2-and-0 pitch somewhere into Westchester County.

An inning later, facing the struggling Carmona, Rodri.guez found himself in a position to do something meaningful. So it was utterly predictable that he would strike out, giving the fans a reason to take back the cheers they had grudgingly bestowed upon him a half-hour earlier. With no help from A-Rod, the Yankees went on to lose, 8-4.

That two-inning span was his Yankees career in microcosm. Most Valuable Player last year, Most Vilified Player this year. A-Rod Bobblehead Night last year, A-Rod Piñata Night every night this year.



This one too.

Not when the script has become this predictable. When the pressure's off, he turns into the future home run champion, hitting the ball with 22nd-century force. There's no one stronger in the game than the anatomically-perfect A-Rod: he has size, speed, grace and that oh-so-perfect swing.

But put him 60 feet, 6 inches away from a pitcher -- any pitcher -- with the Yankees struggling for runs, and something awful happens. His grip tightens, his muscles tense and that bat speed is tuned down to 84-mph.

Torre says, "it's a case of becoming too defensive." Jeter calls it "pressing." A-Rod says, "sometimes it's a case of caring too much."

It's a buffet table of explanations/alibis.
Last edited by Geek on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2447
Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FuriousGod » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:39 pm

A-Choke!
Last edited by FuriousGod on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FuriousGod
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 52
Joined: 7 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benjapage » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:43 pm

edit: comment no longer needed.

b
Last edited by benjapage on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2767
Joined: 26 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:43 pm

Geek wrote:This columnist nails it.

Hitting 40 or 50 meaningless home runs looked a lot better in Seattle or Arlington than they do in the Bronx. Here, performance is measured by situations, not just statistics.

When Rodriguez came to bat in the seventh inning, it was what has become known as A-Rod Time: Nobody on, nobody out, Yankees down by five. So of course Rodriguez cracked Cliff Lee's 2-and-0 pitch somewhere into Westchester County.

An inning later, facing the struggling Carmona, Rodri.guez found himself in a position to do something meaningful. So it was utterly predictable that he would strike out, giving the fans a reason to take back the cheers they had grudgingly bestowed upon him a half-hour earlier. With no help from A-Rod, the Yankees went on to lose, 8-4.

That two-inning span was his Yankees career in microcosm. Most Valuable Player last year, Most Vilified Player this year. A-Rod Bobblehead Night last year, A-Rod Piñata Night every night this year.



This one too.

Not when the script has become this predictable. When the pressure's off, he turns into the future home run champion, hitting the ball with 22nd-century force. There's no one stronger in the game than the anatomically-perfect A-Rod: he has size, speed, grace and that oh-so-perfect swing.

But put him 60 feet, 6 inches away from a pitcher -- any pitcher -- with the Yankees struggling for runs, and something awful happens. His grip tightens, his muscles tense and that bat speed is tuned down to 84-mph.

Torre says, "it's a case of becoming too defensive." Jeter calls it "pressing." A-Rod says, "sometimes it's a case of caring too much."

It's a buffet table of explanations/alibis.



Newsday writer really captures it well.


And let's not leave out this from the Klap:
"A-Rod, he of the mud-bearing name in greater New York, no longer has the will to fight public opinion. His surrender Thursday was complete, unconditional. After striking out with the tying runs on in the eighth inning of an 8-4 loss to the Indians, Rodriguez had only one request for the free world: Torch him.


That's right, unload on the Yankee third baseman for being the choking dog he confesses to be. A-Rod, blown away by right-hander Fausto Carmona with runners on second and third and the Yankees down by two runs, promises there's no insult that's too hurtful."


I will be glad to oblige.
Last edited by TheYanks04 on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Geek » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:46 pm

acsguitar wrote:Swinging and totally missing is weak... He needs to start hitting the first pitch.

he is horrible with two strikes.

He's a great hitter when he's not striking out


Or hitting into double plays.

Has he had more RBI's than errors this month yet?
Geek
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2447
Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CharlatanSin » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:50 pm

When I was at the game the other day, and A-Rod was up in a clutch situation, the guy behind me shouted, "It's okay, A-Rod! Just pretend it's 13-5!"
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 832
Joined: 20 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New Haven, CT

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: germani40, NikkiSixx, Pogotheostrich, Ray Zorback, SpecialFNK, unioreimi and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 16
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Atlanta at Atlanta
(12:35 pm)
NY Yankees at NY Yankees
(12:35 pm)
Chi Cubs at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Detroit at Detroit
(1:10 pm)
Cleveland at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:05 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Texas
(7:05 pm)
Kansas City at Houston
(7:08 pm)
Toronto at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Chi White Sox
(8:05 pm)
LA Angels at LA Angels
(8:10 pm)
Oakland at Oakland
(8:10 pm)
San Diego at San Diego
(8:10 pm)
Colorado at Colorado
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at San Francisco
(10:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at LA Dodgers
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact