League startup strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

League startup strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

League startup strategy

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:55 pm

I know it's kind of early, but I am thinking of starting up a keeper league for next year. I'd like to make it a keeper auction 5x5 league, but I have a few questions:

1. How do you determine the hit your auction money will take in year 2 based on the keepers you've held on to (in other words, how are your keepers valued for year 2?)

2. How do you keep owners motivated to participate for the whole season, even if they are out of contention? In draft leagues, I've heard of giving the 8th place team the first pick next year, but this isn't possible with an auction.

3. Once the auction is over, does the $260 draft budget disappear in regards to free agents, or do they cost money as well?

If you can answer any of these questions, or if you can provide a specific website that addresses issues like this, I would really appreciate it.
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Re: League startup strategy

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:59 pm

Inukchuk wrote:2. How do you keep owners motivated to participate for the whole season, even if they are out of contention? In draft leagues, I've heard of giving the 8th place team the first pick next year, but this isn't possible with an auction.

Not sure if you're planning a money league or not, but here's something we did. We have a percentage of the total money that is awarded to the team who shows the largest improvement in points from the All-Star break to the end of the season (not eligible if you actually finish in the money for the league itself). It works to keep people interested in the second half.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:48 pm

I like it. Any other ideas or websites that would be helpful???
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Cryptic » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:02 pm

we hold a minor league "snake" draft immediately following the auction and the team that finishes first out of the money (5th in our league) picks first...then 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

also, we use a free agent aquisition budget (FAAB) of $100 for all free agent pickups during the season. once that is gone you aren't allowed any more free agent bids or to replace inured players, etc.

we keep all players at the same salary for 2 years then they can be signed long term, optioned at same salary or released prior to year 3. each year of a long term deal is +$5 added to the original salary at auction

these rules are fairly common in most keeper auction leagues i think (or some derivation of them anyway)

good luck!!
Cryptic
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:27 pm

Cryptic wrote:we keep all players at the same salary for 2 years then they can be signed long term, optioned at same salary or released prior to year 3. each year of a long term deal is +$5 added to the original salary at auction

I've always wondered a couple things about these rules as I've seen them but never asked to have them explained (and never played in an auction league either).

First if you option the player at the same salary can you sign him to a long-term deal after that or is he lost to you at that point?

Second how exactly do the long term deals work? Do you have to choose the number of years right off the bat (ie I'm signing Crawford for +$5 for 5 years) or do you just say you're signing him for +$5 and keep him at that price for as long as you want? Also is it +$5 period or +$5 per year (ie if you sign a 3 year deal for a $1 player does it go $6, $6, $6 or $6, $11, $16)?
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:19 pm

Skip the auction and just draft by order. (a) it reduces the stress of bidding and just focusses your strategy to be based on the order of your picks. If you're drafting late in the first round, you don't have to worry about Pujols, etc... but you'll have some other advantages (read down) (B) especially for newbies, draft order is less intimidating, they've already got a lot to learn, why add the extra dimension of bidding? (c) It gives the cellar dwellers first shot in the next draft next year. This keeps the bottom dwellers with some hope, they'll have the first draft pics next year.

And also, after naming keepers at the end of the season, allow each team, from last to first, to switch one keeper from the league's nonkeeper list. The top teams always have to drop great players, so the weaker teams with weaker keepers can immediately upgrade their team each year even before the draft.

Keep the keeper total low. In a 12 team league, I recommend 6, this way, the top teams always have to release some great players that the cellar dwellers will scoop up.

In the first draft, make it random on the draft order in the first round, which means the lucky teams are going to get Pujols, Santana, etc.... but to even that out, from the 2nd on, reverse the order, so the last picker in the first round picks first in every round after that.

Every draft after that first one though, reverse the order in each round as usual.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: League startup strategy

Postby Matthias » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:09 pm

Inukchuk wrote:I know it's kind of early, but I am thinking of starting up a keeper league for next year. I'd like to make it a keeper auction 5x5 league, but I have a few questions:

1. How do you determine the hit your auction money will take in year 2 based on the keepers you've held on to (in other words, how are your keepers valued for year 2?)

Different people do different mechanisms.

Our setup (and this is our first year... can't swear it'll be perfect) is that if you keep someone for one year, their price goes up $3. The second year you keep them, they go up another $5. And then every year thereafter they go up $10.

And then we allow 3 unrestricted keepers and one keeper who has to have a value of $1.

Inukchuk wrote:2. How do you keep owners motivated to participate for the whole season, even if they are out of contention? In draft leagues, I've heard of giving the 8th place team the first pick next year, but this isn't possible with an auction.

We also do the portion of winnings to most improved (I think I got it off of a suggestion here at the Cafe) and whoever finishes last has to be the treasurer in the next year.

Inukchuk wrote:3. Once the auction is over, does the $260 draft budget disappear in regards to free agents, or do they cost money as well?

We've kept people's auction prices as their salary and I think it's working out well. Makes trading challenging but more realistic. The only real problem I've seen is it makes it difficult for teams in contention to trade prospects for players with value this year. So do it as you will.

One other thing we did is set it up that anyone picked up off of the waiver wire had a salary of $1 but when it came to keepers would have a value of $5. So if you got a hot rookie in the draft you had an advantage (especially with the $1 player rule) over someone who picked them up mid-season when they got called up.

But if you keep looking around there's probably loads of suggestions as to how to run it.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers