Running iTunes on two XP accounts?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Running iTunes on two XP accounts??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Running iTunes on two XP accounts??

Postby BeefSandwiches » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:38 am

Is there a way to access one iTunes from two XP accounts? My wife bought an iPod before I did, so she already had iTunes up and running before I bought mine. Rather than run two different iTunes on each of our XP accounts, we wanted to share music so I simply sync-ed my player with the iTunes under her XP account.

I want to listen to music while at work, but the only way I have been able to do it is flip to her account, start it up and flip back to my account. This isn't bad, but I can't access the controls without changing accounts.

I have tried putting an iTunes shortcut on my taskbar and directing to hers, but everytime I start it just opens the empty iTunes which automatically installed under my XP account.

Any suggestions??
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:54 am

Well I'm not sure but doesn't ITUNES catalog its songs under a local machine.

They don't store them on the server right? So if the songs are actually downloaded to a local machine then on you wouldn't be able to.

I'm just guessing though as I've never used Itunes. Is there alogin and password for it?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BeefSandwiches » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:09 am

acsguitar wrote:Well I'm not sure but doesn't ITUNES catalog its songs under a local machine.

They don't store them on the server right? So if the songs are actually downloaded to a local machine then on you wouldn't be able to.

I'm just guessing though as I've never used Itunes. Is there alogin and password for it?

They are stored on my computer, but I don't know how to access the same iTunes library under both XP accounts. When I run iTunes on 'my side' it just opens an empty library.
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:27 am

BeefSandwiches wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Well I'm not sure but doesn't ITUNES catalog its songs under a local machine.

They are stored on my computer, but I don't know how to access the same iTunes library under both XP accounts. When I run iTunes on 'my side' it just opens an empty library.

Are you using the same computer or two different computers?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Tavish » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:08 pm

I'm guessing you're talking about the fast user switching. Chances are that iTunes doesn't fully support it, because most programs don't. The feature was nothing more than half-assed implemented into XP so many programs break when it is used.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby BeefSandwiches » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:12 pm

acsguitar wrote:
BeefSandwiches wrote:

Same computer. When iTunes was installed, it creates a different library for each account on the machine. I have tried re-directing the library to be viewed by each version of the software on the computer, but there are so many safeguards built in by Apple to prevent multiple people from using each other's music that I can't figure out the work-around. I know there is a way to do it - I just haven't figured it out yet. :-?

Are you using the same computer or two different computers?
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:14 pm

Tavish wrote:I'm guessing you're talking about the fast user switching. Chances are that iTunes doesn't fully support it, because most programs don't. The feature was nothing more than half-assed implemented into XP so many programs break when it is used.

Fast user switching stinks; you should be able to load iTunes and during the installation process choose "All Users" instead of just "Current User." Then you'll both have access to iTunes and all the music stored locally on the machine. That's my guess anyway; itunes is only installed for one user but i'm pretty sure it can be installed for "all users"
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to General Talk