Franklin Gutierrez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Franklin Gutierrez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Franklin Gutierrez

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:54 am

Okay, this guy came over in the Milton Bradley deal between the Dodgers and Indians. His stock has fallen the last few seasons because of plate discipline concerns. He was though was once considered a blue chip prospect. He's still young and is a toolsy player with a lot of potential (20+/ 20+). I think he'll take over for Micheals this year if not next.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... rrez.shtml

Rotoworld

The Indians are likely to call up Franklin Gutierrez to replace Casey Blake on the roster.
"We'll probably end up calling up Gutierrez, though that's not 100 percent certain," manager Eric Wedge said. "He's done a real good job down there. He can play all over the outfield, and he had some experience up here last year." If he gets playing time Gutierrez is a solid AL-only pickup for the short term. Jun. 16 - 9:23 am et
Source: Akron Beacon Journal
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 115)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikegp » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:44 am

He is definitely an intriguing prospect. I picked him up in my keeper league about a week ago and didn't think he'd be called up for a month or so, but I guess I got lucky. If he can improve his plate discipline a bit more and add some more power as he gets older he could be a pretty good ballplayer.
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jondunc » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:10 pm

I'll copy what Ryan said at the Let's Go Tribe blog this morning:
Link
Coming up to take his place is Franklin Gutierrez, although he won't be playing every day. Todd Hollandsworth will see some more time in right, and Eduardo Perez might see a start there once in a while. Gutierrez is the best defender of the three, but he hasn't hit for much power since the Indians revamped his swing. Baseball America asked a "veteran AL scout" about Gutierrez (pay article), and the scout thought his future was as a fourth outfielder.

What's my opinion on Gutierrez? He's been Buffalo's best hitter, posting a .294 EQA (park-adjusted), and his K/BB ratio has improved. He's a plus defender anywhere in the outfield, and he has some speed. The Indians shouldn't be looking to deal Michaels or Blake after the season, but Franklin should be working his way into the lineup over the next year and a half. With Brad Snyder regressing, Gutierrez should get plenty of opportunities to play. If I did my top 20 list again this week, he'd probably be in the same position. The big question obviously is if he can hit for power at the major-league level. I think he'll hit just enough to stay on a corner.
2008: 37th ranked Yahoo PLUS Rotisserie Public team (24 weeks in top 45, 9 weeks as #1)
2006: 18th ranked Yahoo PLUS Rotisserie Public team (17 weeks in top 35)
jondunc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Patella Tendon » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:25 pm

I read that Todd Hollandsworth is going to take his place.
Patella Tendon
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Return to Baseball Leftovers