What the Angels need to do... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What the Angels need to do...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What the Angels need to do...

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:22 am

2 biggest problems....

(1) Figgins ain't cutting it at 3rd defensively
(2) The need one more Veteran bat ( I love GA but he ain't the GA of old)

Answer....

Get Joe Randa and platoon him with Dallas McPherson at 3rd. Randa is a solid glove and hits lefties well and the Pirates would love to dump that vet salary with Sanchez taking his spot anyway.

Move figgy to center, bench Erstad

Trade Ervin Santana or one your hot prospects on the farm for either Carl Crawford or Lee... Crawford preferably.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What the Angels need to do...

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:41 am

johnsamo wrote:2 biggest problems....

(1) Figgins ain't cutting it at 3rd defensively
(2) The need one more Veteran bat ( I love GA but he ain't the GA of old)

Answer....

Get Joe Randa and platoon him with Dallas McPherson at 3rd. Randa is a solid glove and hits lefties well and the Pirates would love to dump that vet salary with Sanchez taking his spot anyway.

Move figgy to center, bench Erstad

Trade Ervin Santana or one your hot prospects on the farm for either Carl Crawford or Lee... Crawford preferably.

The Angels should look to trade, but what they really need is for Mcpherson and GA to start hitting. Its time for Mcpherson to prove management was right when they got rid of Glaus to make room for him. The guy tears it up in the minors but looks lost at times in the majors. He needs to make the adjustments because he has awesome talent.

GA has got to be better if he's going to hit behind Vladdy. Period.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dipset » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:01 am

Garrett anderson is so cool
dipset
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:13 am

I think GA could improve quite a bit if he was DHing more to rest his legs and if they sat him more often when it's a tough lefty, that's where Rivera or Salmon should get their at bats, hence the need for another OF.

McPherson hits righties well, it's the lefties that kill him, hence the need for Randa to platoon. Randa could be obtained for practically nothing. He's got a veteran salary and the Pirates have a cheaper guy who's outplaying Randa.

One problem the Angels have is, they are too loyal to guys like Erstadt, and if they get another OF, Erstadt may be the odd man out.

But besides the lack of hitting, it's the defense that's killing them.... They should've swept the Royals with one had tied behind their back, instead, they very nearly split the series. Scioscia's a good coach, so I don't get the defensive lapses... Other than Cabrera who we can't spare at the plate, he's got to start benching guys for a few days who make bonehead plays.

I also think getting Crawford and making him lead off would move figgy down the lineup, and something needs to light a fire under Figgy. He has digressed on all levels this year. Maybe ruffling his pride will motivate him back to the player he was.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tol1l1yboy » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:45 am

Why in the world would TB trade their franchise player for Ervin Santana? Get real people. He is cheap for another 3 years at least and he is 25 years old. Not a chance in hell they would move him for that.

I could see them trading Crawford for Santana, Wood and Kendrick maybe. But the Angels wouldnt do that either.

As a white sox fan I think they should trade Crede and Uribe for Arod and Jeter. That would be great.

/wakes up.
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:55 am

The fact that it's getting mentioned in the press makes me think either Crawford has a buyout clause in the new contract he signed, or he may just be unhappy and demanding a trade. His deal he signed was so low compared to what he could get in just a few more years in the FA market, I'll bet there's a backdoor exit he can exercise.

If I were a player of his talent, I wouldn't want to waste my prime years playing for a perrenial loser. No matter what the contract says, an unhappy player can make for a difficult clubhouse. The D'Rays have a lot of young kids, so they can use the Crawford $ on signing them to long term contracts. Also, maybe the D'Ray owner overestimated his team's future and now he realizes the D'Rays aren't going to be good for the duration of Crawford's current contract, so shop him now while you can get some good young talent.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:58 am

They should try to acquire Arod

Yankee fans seem to hate him :-°
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tol1l1yboy » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:04 am

johnsamo wrote:The fact that it's getting mentioned in the press makes me think either Crawford has a buyout clause in the new contract he signed, or he may just be unhappy and demanding a trade. His deal he signed was so low compared to what he could get in just a few more years in the FA market, I'll bet there's a backdoor exit he can exercise.

If I were a player of his talent, I wouldn't want to waste my prime years playing for a perrenial loser. No matter what the contract says, an unhappy player can make for a difficult clubhouse. The D'Rays have a lot of young kids, so they can use the Crawford $ on signing them to long term contracts. Also, maybe the D'Ray owner overestimated his team's future and now he realizes the D'Rays aren't going to be good for the duration of Crawford's current contract, so shop him now while you can get some good young talent.

Here is what Rotowire posted about Crawford's contract:

"In April of 2005, the Rays signed Crawford to a four-year contract extension with two options. Under the deal, Crawford is paid just $2.5 million this season, $4 million in 2007 and $5.25 million in 2008. The Rays have an $8.25 million option for 2009 and a $10 million option for 2010."

Say what you will about the Rays but they are a lot closer to becoming a really good team than at least half the franchises out there. Their offense is so good that they have guys in the minors that most teams would have been starting for a couple of years already. They need pitching and if Huff hadnt played as awful as he has this year they could have been set after this year by trading Lugo and Huff and maybe one of their plethora of outfielders to get a couple of good pitchers.

With Kazmir there and already 2 other decent young pitchers all they need is one or two guys to turn out to be good players.

If I was Crawford's agent I would tell him to be careful what he wished for if he was really looking to be traded. He is getting mentioned a lot b/c he is an awesome player and Tampa would probably at least consider trading him if the price was right but Tampa has shown in the past that they will hold out (to a fault in a lot of cases) for the perfect deal. They are like that one guy that has that one player in your league that no matter how much the trade helps himhe simply wont trade unless he feels he is totally ripping you off.
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:17 am

A-Rods salary is so insanely high that it sort of makes him hard to trade unless George is willing to throw cash into the deal... That's not A-Rod's fault, it's the Rangers. I don't blame A-Rod for getting all he can.

And 2nd of all, once he's gone and they see the new guy, they might begin to notice how good a hitter A-Rod was.

Other than David Wright and Miguel Cabrera, nobody is equal to him at 3rd, and A-Rod is slumping in terms of average, so I think we're basically seeing his floor and he could take it up a notch any time.

I think basically, A-Rods biggest problem is, Yankee Stadium isn't really ideal for him. For homeruns, Yankee stadium is kind to pull hitters down both lines, but it's REAL DEEP everywhere else, and A-Rod is naturally a hit-to-all fields kind of hitter who I think is trying to pull pitches now that he normally wouldn't have....
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:29 am

Big money deals are rarely as simple as they're reported. Contracts often have clauses that don't get published but offer the player leverage to get out of it... things like, if the D'Ray's total payroll or home attendance doesn't hit a certain #, of if the D'Rays don't win a certain amount of games, etc.....

Considering he only had a few years to go before he was free agent eligible, he had some leverage to leave him some outs.

I don't know if that's the case, but if it isn't, he had a bad agent IMO.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers