Chipper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Chipper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chipper

Postby Redefine9d » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:18 pm

He seems to be striking out a ton lately, his numbers aren't amazing this year, but he has been pretty solid, especially for being on the DL. However, I'm worried about the Ks and the lack of power. He seems to be hitting a lot of doubles lately and do you think he's just declining? How many homers and what are the predictions for him to finish this year?
Redefine9d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:02 am

You and me both. I'm sticking w him so long has he keeps hitting for average with a little pop. Plus, he has been stealing some bases, so he's making up a bit for the lack of power. He had a huge second half last year, so I'm hoping that he finds his groove and those doubles carry further into HR.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Big Train » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:14 pm

There definitely appears to be a worrying increase in his whiffs and drop in power this year. Coming into the season he struck out 15.6% of the time over his career. This year he has struck out almost 22% of the time; he has struck out twice tonight. 56 K's in 358 AB last year. Already 47 in just 214 AB this year. As a Chipper fan who hates the Braves and has him on his fantasy team, I'm reluctant to admit it, but he appears to have begun a steep drop off in his productivity at age 34. Maybe the injuries have caught up. I hope I'm wrong. He's generally better after the break over is career, so the rest of this year could give an indication if this is true. "Is he a Hall of Fame candidate?" is the question I've been hearing a lot lately.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:31 am

Sounds like a perfect DH candidate. A little less wear and tear might help extend his career. Some guys don't take to DHing though, but he could surely sit more games than he does... Some question though whether a Georgia boy will ever want to leave Atlanta though.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates