Piazza could play first base for Tides - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Piazza could play first base for Tides

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Piazza could play first base for Tides

Postby pkarr5000 » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:47 pm

Mike Piazza might play first base for Triple-A Norfolk in Saturday night's game against Richmond.

Piazza, who went 1-for-2 and caught four innings Friday in the second game of his rehabilitation assignment, said the weather could determine whether he plays first base for just the second time in 15 professional seasons.

The New York Mets All-Star catcher said he discussed the possibility of playing first with Mets assistant general manager Gary LaRoque on Friday.

``If they get the tarp off the field before the game, I'll take some ground balls and might play some there,'' Piazza said.

Rain all week has forced groundskeepers to keep the infield covered until gametime, eliminating the usual pregame batting and fielding practice.

The Mets put Piazza on the 15-day disabled list May 17 because of a severely strained right groin.

``There's no plan etched in stone,'' Piazza said. ``We'll treat it like a spring training game because there's no sense of urgency to accelerate the process.''

In Norfolk's 1-0 loss to Richmond on Friday, Piazza struck out in the first inning and singled to left in the fourth. A Richmond runner stole second on Piazza, whose throw was low and to the shortstop side.

Piazza was expected to catch six or seven innings Saturday, and if all went well, he could catch the whole game Sunday.

Barring setbacks, the Mets plan to have him back in the lineup next week against the San Francisco Giants.
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mugrila » Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:20 am

hmm, thanks for the info, i might just have to go check out the game tom. night. :-D
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Madison » Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:46 am

Piazza at 1st should prove interesting. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:44 am

Mugrila wrote:hmm, thanks for the info, i might just have to go check out the game tom. night. :-D

give us a report.... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:43 am

Shit................................. i have Jason Phillips at C in 1 , 2 , 3 nope two fricking leagues ...

I hate you all over again Mike PIAZZA. :-C :-C

ever since Mike appeared on "Baywatch", (standing on the beach, hitting baseball's into the ocean .... In his FRICKING UNIFORM ????)... pizza boy has lost all credabilty with me, I have never had him on a team since that episode ... NEVER. :-t

Poor Jason Phillips ... all the kid did was batt fricking what .320?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Postby jdh » Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:46 am

I doubt that Piazza will effect Jason Phillips playing time. Even if he does come back at 1B, they mentioned that they wanted to split his time between catcher and 1B to allow him to break the HR by a catcher record. With the way Phillips is swinging the bat, and the way Vance Wilson has been terrible at the plate, I'd imagine Phillips starts at 1B or C every day depending on where Piazza is playing, and Wilson just becomes a backup catcher.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:21 am

jdh wrote:I doubt that Piazza will effect Jason Phillips playing time. Even if he does come back at 1B, they mentioned that they wanted to split his time between catcher and 1B to allow him to break the HR by a catcher record. With the way Phillips is swinging the bat, and the way Vance Wilson has been terrible at the plate, I'd imagine Phillips starts at 1B or C every day depending on where Piazza is playing, and Wilson just becomes a backup catcher.

Lord I hope so ... I really do, because that C elig. is huge .. especially since he plays every day. Well I guess the worst is he loses a few starts a week, that would make him just like a normal C, as far as AB's
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Return to Baseball Leftovers