The Jeff Weaver might be good someday thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

The Jeff Weaver might be good someday thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Jeff Weaver might be good someday thread

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:13 pm

Don't forget, his last 2 years with the Dodgers weren't awful. There's value to a guy who throws 220 innings and has about a 4.00 ERA. Besides being an innings eater that saves your bullpen, on average, he keeps you in a position to win the game.

And also, he has stretches where he's like his little brother, but unlike Jered, he walks more guys and generally leaves one too many over the plate and gives up a homer.... but when he has his control he's darn good... If he can ever cut down the walks and not throw so many fat pitches, he'll be a very good pitcher. Maybe having his little brother show him up might be be the match the lights a fire under him and he takes his game to another level.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:39 pm

Jeff Weaver cost the Yankees the world series I hate him
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby FuriousGeorge » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:54 pm

A guy that can pitch 220 innings with a 4 ERA is valuable to a real baseball team, but not very valuable to a fantasty baseball team. He doesn't even have a very good K rate anymore, plus his ERA is nowhere near 4 right now.
FuriousGeorge
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:11 pm

We've been hearing that Jeff Weaver might be good someday for about the 6th year in a row now. If it hasn't happened yet, I'm afraid it ain't ever gonna happen.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:15 pm

FuriousGeorge wrote:A guy that can pitch 220 innings with a 4 ERA is valuable to a real baseball team, but not very valuable to a fantasty baseball team. He doesn't even have a very good K rate anymore, plus his ERA is nowhere near 4 right now.

Exactly. He's valuable as a #4 or #5 guy for a ML team and if he ever got it all together (like another poster mentioned we've been saying this for 6 years now) he could be a #3 or maybe even a #2. For fantasy purposes he won't be useful unless he does finally get it all together. He's still reasonably young so it's not impossible (see Chris Carpenter) but I wouldn't hold my breath.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:18 pm

His last 4 starts have been good, but some bad defense and weak run support cost him 2 wins. He's had 4 HORRIBLE starts this year, and 9 good to great starts... but the Angels' bats have been so cold, that he's lost nearly all his respectable starts and even a few of the great starts. He held Detroit to 2 in 7.1 innings but still lost.

Besides weak bats, I thnk the Angels lead the league in errors and unearned runs this year, and that's been a killer in a lot of games.

Guys like John Lackey ought to be getting close to 10 wins by now, but he's had the same problems Weaver has had.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:25 pm

believe me, I watch nearly every Angels game this year, and the defense has been real bad about giving teams extra outs, flubbing double plays, etc.

Chone Figgins in particular has really digressed defensively at 3b, makes a LOT of bad throws and flubs grounders. They really need to get him in the outfield. If we had a Joe Crede type guy at 3rd, I thinked we'd have at least 5 more wins than we do.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:26 pm

That's the other thing we've been doing for six years now, blaming Weaver's team for his lackluster results.

Hey if you wanna believe, don't let me stop you .... I'm just sayin'.

Isn't he going to the bullpen now anyways?
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:55 pm

Oh, he ain't on my team or anything/ IN FBB, his ERA and WHIP are a bit too much..... I was just pointing out that this year's totals aren't the whole picture on Jeff. In real real baseball, he can be a nice #4 or 5 starter, Something a good team needs to keep their bullpen from being overtaxed.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:27 am

Tonight is yet amother example of how the Angels defense (and lack of run support) is killing the Angel pitchers.... John Lackey should have thrown 7 innings of shutout ball but the Angels bad D gave the Royals a run.... Then in the 8th, the angels defense gives the Royals another run and now he'll get a no decision.

None of this would matter if the Angels could score more than 2 runs against the weak Royal pitchers.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates