Better grab Dan Johnson quick - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Better grab Dan Johnson quick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tiki Barber's Barber » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:55 pm

I remember platooning this guy and Chris Shelton last year. They both got hot at the same time, and it worked out well.
Tiki Barber's Barber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:57 pm

I like to spread my 6 keeper slots around evenly between hitting and pitching.... Which is going to put me in a serious bind because I've got 5 pitchers I really want to keep but I've got 3 can't cut offensive guys...

My hitters
Pujols
Miggy Cabrera
Carl Crawford

My pitchers
Carlos Zambrano
King Felix
Jered Weaver
K-Rod
Kazmir

Pujols and Cabrera are locks, but to keep Crawford, who I love because he means I don't have to reach for steals in the draft so much, I've got to drop 2 pitchers I don't want to drop.

Of those, I think I have to go Zambrano, King Felix and Kazmir... but I have to see how the season goes. If Jered keeps up his pace, I can't drop him.

I knew this was coming in the preseason and I BEGGED the league to up the keeper #s, but they knew it would aid me the most so they voted it down... I suppose for league parity, it's probably good I have to drop some great players, but man it's gonna hurt.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:59 pm

The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:05 pm

johnsamo wrote:I like to spread my 6 keeper slots around evenly between hitting and pitching.... Which is going to put me in a serious bind because I've got 5 pitchers I really want to keep but I've got 3 can't cut offensive guys...

My hitters
Pujols
Miggy Cabrera
Carl Crawford

My pitchers
Carlos Zambrano
King Felix
Jered Weaver
K-Rod
Kazmir

Pujols and Cabrera are locks, but to keep Crawford, who I love because he means I don't have to reach for steals in the draft so much, I've got to drop 2 pitchers I don't want to drop.

Of those, I think I have to go Zambrano, King Felix and Kazmir... but I have to see how the season goes. If Jered keeps up his pace, I can't drop him.

I knew this was coming in the preseason and I BEGGED the league to up the keeper #s, but they knew it would aid me the most so they voted it down... I suppose for league parity, it's probably good I have to drop some great players, but man it's gonna hurt.

Yeah, that's a no brainer...Weaver will be good but not CZam, King Felix, Kazmir good.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:39 pm

There are no certainties in baseball, but assuming good health and decent run support in the coming years, a rotation of Zambrano, Kazmir and King felix could be 60 wins and 600 plus Ks, and 600 plus innings of LOW LOW ERAs and WHIPS on just those guys alone.

Combine that with Pujols, Miggy Cabrera and Crawford just entering their prime years and I like my prospects in the coming years.

All the other top guys in my league are riding older studs due or past due for the eventual declining skills period of their careers, but all my guys are good and young.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:04 pm

johnsamo wrote:There are no certainties in baseball, but assuming good health and decent run support in the coming years, a rotation of Zambrano, Kazmir and King felix could be 60 wins and 600 plus Ks, and 600 plus innings of LOW LOW ERAs and WHIPS on just those guys alone.

Combine that with Pujols, Miggy Cabrera and Crawford just entering their prime years and I like my prospects in the coming years.

All the other top guys in my league are riding older studs due or past due for the eventual declining skills period of their careers, but all my guys are good and young.

Yeah, I'm kinda kicking myself at this point...I had a chance to snag CZam when he was struggling earlier in the season for a first round pick and a fourth round pick. The price was very steep but I had the draft picks to survive it but I just couldn't give up that much. I've already got Pujols, Utley, Rollins, Crawford and Carpenter as 5 of my 6 keepers as well as Alex Gordon as a definite keeper in 2007 (minor league keeper this offseason as long as KC keeps him under 130ab before Aug. 12th). I just couldn't give up that much when I'd end up having to trade a guy like Rollins next year anyways. But still...CZam is such a stud that even with all of that in mind I have a bit of regret that I didn't pull the trigger on that deal.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby d18Mike » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:07 pm

Don't forget -- the A's head for Coors next week.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:17 pm

Oh wow...I hadn't looked at that yet. Even better. :D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kcs261 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:20 am

I picked up Johnson today. It's a good, smart move.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CeeLoGreen » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:27 am

Would D. Johnson be an upgrade over Hillenbrand, Kubel, or J. Jones??? I've had Kubel for a few days and like his upside. Hillenbrand and Jones have been my UT players for a month.
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext