Better grab Dan Johnson quick - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Better grab Dan Johnson quick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Better grab Dan Johnson quick

Postby drpiranha » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:58 pm

Since his horrendous 1 for 37 start, he has actually hit .310.

He always has a high OBP because he draws a lot of walks.
He got the start today against a lefty, because the Big Hurt is hurt.
He proceeded to go 4 for 4 with 4 RBI's and got his season BA up to .249.

I'm sure he was dropped a long time ago in most leagues.
Today's performance probably gives him even more playing time.

I'd nab him before someone else does, if you need a 1Bman.
For the month of June, he is 15/31 with 4 HR's and 12 RBI.
drpiranha
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Better grab Dan Johnson quick

Postby Red Sox Nation » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:10 pm

drpiranha wrote:Since his horrendous 1 for 37 start, he has actually hit .310.

He always has a high OBP because he draws a lot of walks.
He got the start today against a lefty, because the Big Hurt is hurt.
He proceeded to go 4 for 4 with 4 RBI's and got his season BA up to .249.

I'm sure he was dropped a long time ago in most leagues.
Today's performance probably gives him even more playing time.

I'd nab him before someone else does, if you need a 1Bman.
For the month of June, he is 15/31 with 4 HR's and 12 RBI.

It's June so that means it's close to summer and the race for OAK for the division. Man, OAK must love the heat (and sun) there because they're always this strong in the summer.

Btw, Street already has 8 saves in June and it's only about halfway into June.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:11 pm

Thanks for the headsup I think he's buried on one of my teams
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby bennyboy96 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:11 pm

I was debating between him and Jacobs to platoon with Sexson...picked up Jacobs a week ago, but dropped him for Johnson today after his performance and after Jacobs had a minor injury. hopefully between him and sexson, i'll be ok
bennyboy96
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kev8821 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:30 pm

Picked up Johnson as well today. Was thinking about it all week and after today I figured he's getting back to where he left off last year...finally!
kev8821
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:35 pm

Check his stats last year... He was pretty streaky last year...

Started awful, played well June and July, then cooled off and was terrible the last month. His OBP was always at least decent, but the real differential is his K & hit rates month to month.

There's not enuf of a sample size to say he's always going to be streaky, but the evidence points that way so far...

That doesn't mean you shouldn't ride the streak if you don't have a better option.

I have Jacobs and like him long term more, but I'll probably drop Jacobs soleely because of this ankle thing....

But I'm in more "ride streak" mode at 1b right now, because my 1b problems get solved when Pujols comes back.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:03 pm

I'm currently debating whether I want Johnson or Shelton. Either one could possibly end up as my 6th keeper since they'd be competing with Kemp, Crede and Youkilis for that honor (I know, not the best of options in a 14 team keeper league for my 6th keeper). What does everyone think there for keeper value?
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:16 pm

Depends on your total roster I suppose and whether you're thinking long term or have a shot at winning next year. Crede and Youkilis are good players but I think they're pretty much at their ceilings. Youkilis starts to shine when obp is a category. I also think they'll be draftable in the early middle rounds.

Of those guys, I'd guess Kemp has the biggest ceiling, but his prime may be years off. The Dodgers have a LOT of young talent that might make for a Monster batting order in a few years, but I'd want to see a bigger sample size before I made that decision... Just a hot first few weeks just means he has talent, I want to see whether he can adjust once he's not an unknown entity to the pitchers.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:20 pm

Shelton shows all the signs of being an EXTREMELY streaky hitter based on the past 2 seasons... Those types are too frustrating unless you've got a lot of bench spots so you can ride out the cold times.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:38 pm

johnsamo wrote:Shelton shows all the signs of being an EXTREMELY streaky hitter based on the past 2 seasons... Those types are too frustrating unless you've got a lot of bench spots so you can ride out the cold times.

Yeah, I probably won't have offensive bench slots and I've got a lot invested in winning in 2007...I have young very good keepers which should put me in a good position for years to come (Pujols, Utley, Rollins, Crawford and Carpenter for 5 of my 6 keeper slots). But I really have a lot invested in next year too. I've got Gordon, LaRoche, Milledge and Matsuzaka on my minor league roster and all 4 of them will likely be up next year and starting opening day...but once they're up I'll only be able to keep one of them MAX for 2008. I also have an unbelievable draft for next year - 4 second round picks, 3 third round picks, missing a 6th round pick but have 3 seventh round picks and then my last picks are an 11th and 15th. That's a ridiculously strong draft to go along with a great set of keepers and a great crop of young stud minor leaguers coming up. Given that draft though and my offensive strength I'll probably have at least 11 if not 12 of my 21 roster slots devoted to pitching which leaves one bench slot at most.

I'm tempted to trade some of those draft picks for a sixth keeper but that would be a one year keeper at most - Alex Gordon is too good of a player for him to not be a keeper for 2008. I'm really hoping that Youkilis, Crede, Shelton, Kemp or maybe R. Soriano will step up to be a keeper for next year since I really don't want to overpay for a guy that's only going to be a keeper for one year.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers